Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1012 1013 [1014] 1015 1016 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125570 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15195 on: September 21, 2011, 09:44:31 pm »

Yea it's something related to combat.  And old surface fort of mine would often have residents stuck on the butchery and hospital roof during the seasonal buzzard assaults.  Was hilarious, but I never determined if it was charging or dodging that put them up there.

Yes, creatures which are attacked can dodge through multiple tiles of empty space and end up in places which they could never reach by walking.  Here's a thread which discusses the effect:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=92668
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15196 on: September 22, 2011, 03:10:55 am »

Hmm interesting, thought it looks like it needs more science to it :p.
Someone is saying:
Dwarves only dodge sideways (even through open space), but not up. Some of the other dwarves that got on top of walls were put there by flying pets, using a "swap position" pathing bug.

But the first post clearly indicates that the military all ended up on the wall so it's probably not a flying pet issue as all the dwarves ended up on the roof...
Anyway thanks for the replies :).

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15197 on: September 22, 2011, 04:22:39 am »

Is there a way to ensure that all the normal events of a game occur at lower population caps?

I keep my fortress population capped at 80-100 for frame rate purposes, however I still want sieges to occur, nobles to immigrate, and megabeasts to attack me.
I don't remember the exact number, but that seems enough for both sieges and megabeasts, and at least some of the nobles. Magmawiki could probably tell you more specifics.
Love, scriver~

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15198 on: September 22, 2011, 05:15:24 am »

So, I was looking at older editions where stat bonuses (Agile, etc) were listed in the unit's stats, but I can't find it in recent edition. Does Legendary status still increase those? And does it have any other benefits, like immunity to the foolish noble's interpretation of Dwarven Justice? A wiki article implied something along these lines, but I'm not sure it's valid.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Zwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15199 on: September 22, 2011, 07:13:01 am »

There is a ghostly Mason in my dining room and he seems to producing miasma. There is nothing rotten in this room so I guess it's him...he is pale and the only thing he is doing is sitting and smelling for years now. I just saw that there is a bug report about it at: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4865

Maybe someone with an account there can add that it has been reproduced in some way. But what can I do? I have free coffins and the ghost doesn't follows anyone like usual. It just sits around there.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15200 on: September 22, 2011, 09:28:16 am »

If the body is unreachable, then the dwarves can't bury it in the coffin.  Make a slab for him.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Qirex

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels Post: Interrupted by Beak wolf Predator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15201 on: September 22, 2011, 10:39:12 am »

Is there any way to stop my dwarves from storing plants in barrells? I just lost a fort due to an idiotic tantrum spiral. I had several farm plots set to farm, but I kept getting
Code: [Select]
Urist McBrewer Cancels Brew Drink:Needs Empty Food Storage container,despite the fact that I had created several conscript carpenter's workshops specifically to make barrells. The result was that all of my dwarves instead spent all their time stuffing plants in barrells until they began rioting due to a lack of alcohol.

I live in Nigeria. I am not a prince, and I do not need your bank account information to access my fortune. Anyone caught implying otherwise will be !!reprimanded!! .

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15202 on: September 22, 2011, 10:42:29 am »

Is there any way to stop my dwarves from storing plants in barrells? I just lost a fort due to an idiotic tantrum spiral. I had several farm plots set to farm, but I kept getting
Urist McBrewer Cancels Brew Drink:Needs Empty Food Storage container,despite the fact that I had created several conscript carpenter's workshops specifically to make barrells. The result was that all of my dwarves instead spent all their time stuffing plants in barrells until they began rioting due to a lack of alcohol.

Make separate stockpiles for foodstuffs that don't need to be stored in barrels (plants, meat, fat, cheese, eggs, etc) and foodstuffs that do need to be stored in barrels (booze, syrup, milk).  Set maximum barrels allowed on the plant and other solid food stockpiles to zero.  Leave maximum barrels allowed on the booze stockpile at maximum.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15203 on: September 22, 2011, 10:54:59 am »

I think you can also increase the number of 'reserved' barrels in your fort in the stockpiles menu, 'p.'  I'm pretty sure 'reserved' barrels will only be used to store products that come directly out of a workshop and require a barrel, like booze, lye etc. instead of general stockpile storage.  If you set the reserved barrels to, say, 10, no more barrels will be used for stockpile storage until at least 10 empty 'reserved' barrels are ready somewhere.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15204 on: September 23, 2011, 02:18:46 am »

Looking to make the upgrade from 3.18 to 31.25, but I haven't found a graphics set that sits well with me... offhand, does anyone know of anything similar to the Synergy 31.18 set..?

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2983
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15205 on: September 23, 2011, 09:52:08 am »

I think you can also increase the number of 'reserved' barrels in your fort in the stockpiles menu, 'p.'  I'm pretty sure 'reserved' barrels will only be used to store products that come directly out of a workshop and require a barrel, like booze, lye etc. instead of general stockpile storage.  If you set the reserved barrels to, say, 10, no more barrels will be used for stockpile storage until at least 10 empty 'reserved' barrels are ready somewhere.
Yeah this should work fine. I had the same problem in my forts until I started doing this. I generally find that having about 5-10 reserved barrels works well for me, depending on the size of your fort and your barrel usages.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15206 on: September 23, 2011, 10:11:12 am »

How do I block off a staircase? My stairs hit the very top of a cavern ceiling and I want to keep flying things out.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15207 on: September 23, 2011, 10:14:08 am »

How do I block off a staircase? My stairs hit the very top of a cavern ceiling and I want to keep flying things out.
If it's a mined staircase, just build a stone floor/wall on the last section of the stairway.  If it's constructed, you might have to deconstruct it first.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15208 on: September 23, 2011, 10:15:20 am »

question about melting - is it enough to have only one smelter to melt different metals without a waste, or I need a smelter for all types off metal?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15209 on: September 23, 2011, 10:24:20 am »

As long as you limit it so that all of the items that are melted of a given material are melted in the same smelter then you won't have any waste (i.e. all the iron goes to this smelter, all of the copper goes to this smelter, etc.). It does take a fair amount of micromanagement to insure that this happens though, as you would need to use burrows or something similar to get the dwarves to only grab items of that specific type when they are melting. Personally I find it easier just to melt everything in the same smelter in order to insure that nothing is ever wasted accidentally.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 1012 1013 [1014] 1015 1016 ... 1178