Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 979 980 [981] 982 983 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126529 times)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14700 on: August 28, 2011, 02:32:56 pm »

The Magmawiki says "the squad leader will always be mounted. " but I just had my first siege and the leader was an axe-goblin on foot, so did I miss the real leader or should that bit of the wiki be changed? :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14701 on: August 28, 2011, 02:36:00 pm »

Does smoke and other gases/fumes stay in an area if it can't dissipate?
I would like to make a gas chamber using a forgotten beast.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14702 on: August 28, 2011, 04:17:47 pm »

The Magmawiki says "the squad leader will always be mounted. " but I just had my first siege and the leader was an axe-goblin on foot, so did I miss the real leader or should that bit of the wiki be changed? :P

yes, that's rubbish.  using goblins as it does for an example, the goblin civ may not have a leader that has tamed any suitable mount creatures.  that or a leader who did a lot of taming was killed and the new leader has done no significant taming.  early seiges also tend to lack mounted units, or so it seems to me.  even in seiges involving mounted units, there usually is at least one squad of infantry.

now fighting a goblin civ leader who has tamed mountable creatures, that squad leader (the civ leader) will assuredly be mounted.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14703 on: August 28, 2011, 04:19:03 pm »

In that case I'll see if I can edit the wiki page a bit.

@Gax; Naw, I think it does go away. Kinda like miasma which will at times just go away even if there's no air duct. But if the FB creates the gas then it'll probably do so when you throw something in with it, no?
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14704 on: August 28, 2011, 05:06:47 pm »

I received the notice that I am now a mountainhome, and the monarch's guard has arrived, but I don't see the actual monarch anywhere.  The nobles screen doesn't have anything for him/her. Where might they be?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14705 on: August 28, 2011, 05:18:02 pm »

I received the notice that I am now a mountainhome, and the monarch's guard has arrived, but I don't see the actual monarch anywhere.  The nobles screen doesn't have anything for him/her. Where might they be?

Dead.  Your king died in worldgen and wasn't replaced.  You still get the announcement that you're the mountainhome, but no monarch.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14706 on: August 28, 2011, 05:38:38 pm »

Dead.  Your king died in worldgen and wasn't replaced.  You still get the announcement that you're the mountainhome, but no monarch.

Seriously? That's bizarre. Is there any way to have known that ahead of time?

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14707 on: August 28, 2011, 06:10:02 pm »

Before embarking, check the legends for the dwarven civilization you are about to embark as. Also helps avoid dead civs.

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14708 on: August 28, 2011, 07:02:03 pm »

You can also hit c during fortress mode to see who the leaders of your civ are.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14709 on: August 28, 2011, 09:00:05 pm »

How do I stop my dwarves from falling to the "HEY GUYS, OUR BEST FRIEND WAS JUST SHOT DOWN BY A GOBLIN CROSSBOWMAN!  LET'S GO STEAL HIS CLOTHING AND LIKELY GET IN THE LINE OF FIRE!" syndrome during an ambush/siege?
It's lead to every single one of my fort's failures that wasn't a megabeast so far.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14710 on: August 28, 2011, 09:08:56 pm »

How do I stop my dwarves from falling to the "HEY GUYS, OUR BEST FRIEND WAS JUST SHOT DOWN BY A GOBLIN CROSSBOWMAN!  LET'S GO STEAL HIS CLOTHING AND LIKELY GET IN THE LINE OF FIRE!" syndrome during an ambush/siege?
It's lead to every single one of my fort's failures that wasn't a megabeast so far.
o -> F
And then keys c, i, o
It should explain itself when you get to the menu.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14711 on: August 28, 2011, 10:10:34 pm »

Gaaaah. I need some help. How do I get my dwarves to go into burrows?

I expected them to run immediately to the burrows, but they literally take forever. I assigned 45 dwarves to the burrow, and only two went. The other 34 just stopped all tasks, and were slaughtered. I now have a carpenter and a woodcutter alive, and 43 dead dwarves upstairs.

Why didn't they go? It wasn't blocked, because the two intelligent ones were able to get it through their booze-sodden brains to go "Hey! Goblins! Let's RUN AWAY!"...

urgh.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14712 on: August 28, 2011, 10:12:59 pm »

you need to give them something to do in the burrows, otherwise they'll ignore it.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14713 on: August 28, 2011, 10:26:09 pm »

oh, I'LL GIVE THEM SOMETHING TO DO. How about "Run away from the goblins riding giant FRICKIN EAGLES? By Armok, these dwarves are stupider than a piece of granite!

What would you recommend that I give these goodly dwarves to do in the safe refuge? Party?

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14714 on: August 28, 2011, 10:32:03 pm »

Work.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage
Pages: 1 ... 979 980 [981] 982 983 ... 1178