Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 969 970 [971] 972 973 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126797 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14550 on: August 23, 2011, 10:23:01 am »

So I know it isn't something simple like training skill not enabled or the kennel somehow unavailable.  But I never get a big cat trained now.
It's probably another manifestation of the "the dungeon master is broken" problem.
Also, the animal to be trained must not be assigned to a pasture.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14551 on: August 23, 2011, 10:28:03 am »

I think large cats are exotic pets, which can't be trained without a dungeon master.

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14552 on: August 23, 2011, 10:29:20 am »

Confused about training purchased caged animals

So, I have a large number of war dogs and a few war jaguars (sadly all male so far).  I've been trying to get more war kitties.  Elven caravan comes, I buy all the various tigers/cougars/etc.  They are tame.  I can pasture them.  I can take them out of the pasture and they generally wander in the dining hall.  However, they never get trained when I "train a war animal" on repeat.  I was fairly sure I had done this before hence the other war jaguars.  But now these tame cats are never trained.  While I typically am slaughtering piles of puppies in my puppy mill, I occasionally let some grow up and train them.  So I know it isn't something simple like training skill not enabled or the kennel somehow unavailable.  But I never get a big cat trained now.

What dumb thing am I doing this time?

are you sure they are out of any pens or cages when the "train war animal" order is in effect?

Also there are some animals that even though are tameable are not trainable, check the raws to see if they have the [TRAINABLE] tag.

Maybe you need to change pet_exotic to pet in the raws as well, I'm not sure if that influences training or just taming, given that they already come tamed from trading, change them on your save folder raws so that it will work without having to start a new world.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:31:12 am by onarum »

Tipsy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14553 on: August 23, 2011, 01:05:02 pm »

I've been trying to find an answer to this googling but I'm sure it's been asked before.

Is there any way to make quick Uniforms for military to switch between training weapons and individual pref?   I'm having trouble getting decent armor on my guys and don't want them iron/steeling each other into the hospital yet it's so annoying to switch 20 guys to training weapons.

Video tutorials would be prefered but i'm open for anything.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14554 on: August 23, 2011, 01:16:00 pm »

I need bins and I have very limited wood. I cannot for the life of me find the metal equivalent of a bin, or if metal bins exist, I cannot see where to start making them. The wiki says to use a forge, and I have a magma forge going, so fuel is not an issue. Unless this is a craft? Can someone advise? I'm also unsure of the exact rock or metal equivalent to a barrel.

thanks much
nightwhips
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14555 on: August 23, 2011, 01:46:39 pm »

I've been trying to find an answer to this googling but I'm sure it's been asked before.

Is there any way to make quick Uniforms for military to switch between training weapons and individual pref?   I'm having trouble getting decent armor on my guys and don't want them iron/steeling each other into the hospital yet it's so annoying to switch 20 guys to training weapons.

Video tutorials would be prefered but i'm open for anything.
Dwarves don't cause injuries when sparring, so if you have real weapons training weapons are useless.

I need bins and I have very limited wood. I cannot for the life of me find the metal equivalent of a bin, or if metal bins exist, I cannot see where to start making them. The wiki says to use a forge, and I have a magma forge going, so fuel is not an issue. Unless this is a craft? Can someone advise? I'm also unsure of the exact rock or metal equivalent to a barrel.

thanks much
nightwhips
Metal bins are under "furnature" at a forge. Or you could just use the manager.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14556 on: August 23, 2011, 02:12:36 pm »

But you'll need charcoal (unless you have magma or other fuel) for metal bins, making it a bad deal...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14557 on: August 23, 2011, 02:43:36 pm »

But you'll need charcoal (unless you have magma or other fuel) for metal bins, making it a bad deal...

I got the magma! I have a sweet map, with magma not too deep and caverns and a waterfall, but there are no trees yet.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14558 on: August 23, 2011, 02:51:57 pm »

On a whim, I checked my depot access after checking it earlier.  Apparently, every spot on the map besides the entry hall to my fortress is now non-caravan friendly.  I'm really confused as the dwarf caravan made it fine in the autumn, and this is my second year.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #14559 on: August 23, 2011, 03:29:44 pm »

On a whim, I checked my depot access after checking it earlier.  Apparently, every spot on the map besides the entry hall to my fortress is now non-caravan friendly.  I'm really confused as the dwarf caravan made it fine in the autumn, and this is my second year.
That old function checks if the three tiles wide wagon creature can get there, needing 5 tiles wide.
Caravans with only pack animals manage with one tile wide path. Currently no caravan brings a wagon.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14560 on: August 23, 2011, 03:32:34 pm »

so if you have real weapons training weapons are useless.
But you can use training weapons for woodcutting!
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14561 on: August 23, 2011, 03:37:11 pm »

thanks much
nightwhips
Metal bins are under "furnature" at a forge. Or you could just use the manager.
[/quote]

Thank you. Don't know why I didn't see that... I was looking.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14562 on: August 23, 2011, 04:17:58 pm »

I recommend lead bins.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14563 on: August 23, 2011, 05:31:14 pm »

I recommend lead bins.

Good call. I got galena and nothing to do with it.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14564 on: August 23, 2011, 06:15:32 pm »

The worlds I gen can no longer be used in Adventure Mode, I remember to have modified the human raws and that's it, what have I done?
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage
Pages: 1 ... 969 970 [971] 972 973 ... 1178