Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 964 965 [966] 967 968 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126913 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14475 on: August 20, 2011, 07:17:21 am »

I killed a goblin war leader, the guy who, as far as I know, was the boss of the entire gobbo civilization. Or rather, a human caravan killed him. Has his death any real effect on gameplay?

Find out here!

If it wasn't in there then please add in  :) .

Not sure if you mean by the current reigning leader or a general/law giver.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14476 on: August 20, 2011, 07:23:29 am »

Oh, I had read that article once already but hadn't noticed that part... they apparently stop bringing mounts after their war leader is dead. I wonder if they ever get a new one?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14477 on: August 20, 2011, 08:22:30 am »

Do dwarf stats matter much in fortress mode?

Many do, some might be in the future but are there for design (?) now. Stats just like memory, patience, empathy... But if you are making a story out of your DF fort then that would be a nice help.

If you mean stats as in how agile/strong they are then yes, that means a lot.
Unless I'm mistaken, memory effects how quickly skills rust, as well some other things. See here for more info on attributes and their relationship with skills.

Oh, I had read that article once already but hadn't noticed that part... they apparently stop bringing mounts after their war leader is dead. I wonder if they ever get a new one?
Iirc, they don't since there is no new history being written after world generation (except the one written directly by the player). Until continual background history is implemented, that is how it will be.
Love, scriver~

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14478 on: August 20, 2011, 08:56:13 am »

I been trying to decorate my artifact stuff..... is this impossible?

Similarly, is there some kinda pecking order on decoration? I been dumping my door next to the craftsdwarf shops and I swear, they decide to decorate the totem, mechanism and etc all first before they reach my door. Its a 4 tile stockpile and its arranged all laterally to the shop, by just sheer chance, it should decorate said door soon instead of it being the last.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14479 on: August 20, 2011, 09:43:52 am »

You can't add additional decorations to artifacts.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14480 on: August 20, 2011, 10:50:27 am »

Similarly, is there some kinda pecking order on decoration? I been dumping my door next to the craftsdwarf shops and I swear, they decide to decorate the totem, mechanism and etc all first before they reach my door. Its a 4 tile stockpile and its arranged all laterally to the shop, by just sheer chance, it should decorate said door soon instead of it being the last.
Simply put, when the dwarf gets the decorate job, he'll grab the nearest item elegible to where he's standing when he gets the job. Then, when he's done, the nearest object will be the one already in the workshop.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sscral

• Bay Watcher
  • привет
    • View Profile
« Reply #14481 on: August 20, 2011, 02:11:10 pm »

I was wondering, if I build a cave-in trap using either obsidian or constructed walls, and it is several z-levels away from the ground;

. is the ground, - is open space, x is the wall-block, g is a flying goblin(or flying whatever).

x
-
g
-
-

Would anything happen to the goblin or would the block just pass through/under/over/backwards/forwards/around it?
A three year old just made an artifact doll from the skull of his dead kitten. I can only assume the mind control lasted past death.
"Look, mommy!  Now I can play with Mister Fluffles forever!"

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14482 on: August 20, 2011, 02:55:28 pm »

It would definately work with obsidian walls, but I think constructed walls just deconstruct when caved.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14483 on: August 20, 2011, 04:28:58 pm »

Constructed walls deconstruct after they hit the ground - a constructed wall caving in will still crush anything in its path.  However, is the goblin flying under its own power, or is it stuck in midair due to a bug?  Creatures who get stuck permanently in midair from that old bug aren't affected by anything, even cave-ins.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14484 on: August 20, 2011, 05:53:03 pm »

Peat - can it be burned for charcoal? 'Cause if not... that's silly.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14485 on: August 20, 2011, 06:05:01 pm »

Peat - can it be burned for charcoal? 'Cause if not... that's silly.
Peat cannot be burned for charcoal.

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14486 on: August 20, 2011, 08:01:35 pm »

Turns out my execution tower of 8z wasn't tall enough - out of the ten goblins dropped, only three or so died, and a few are even walking. I'd need to finish these guys.

I know the wood vs bone bolts question has been answered, but I wanted to also add: Spikes. You can set upward pointing steel spikes into the ground under the tower, falling 8 z levels onto loam is one thing, onto granite another, onto steel spikes... lets just say it could save you a lot of bolts.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14487 on: August 20, 2011, 08:06:28 pm »

If I have maximun strength (start as demigod and put all my points on it), will I be able to strangle stuff that's bigger than me? Like Night Creatures, Bears and Dragons.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14488 on: August 20, 2011, 08:42:41 pm »

If I have maximun strength (start as demigod and put all my points on it), will I be able to strangle stuff that's bigger than me? Like Night Creatures, Bears and Dragons.

You might get a lot of "you adjust your grip". I don't think strength affects what you can strangle, that is size.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14489 on: August 20, 2011, 09:12:08 pm »

Do wild, non pet animals like penguins, walruses etc breed? I do know that Yak cows can breed on their own offscreen, so, you can have a sustainable harvesting operation of cows, but do non pet animals like walruses do?Offscreen I mean?

Similarly, what about onscreen breeding of wild animals?

I'm.... thinking of digging out a pit and dumping in some walruses in so I can get their ivory. Hell, if animals can breed while stuck on your map, I'm going to try and catch some wild elephants:D

If my understanding of the sea serpent thread is correct, I will need to mod the walruses to be [pet] before that can happen, right?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:18:04 pm by PainRack »
Pages: 1 ... 964 965 [966] 967 968 ... 1178