Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 961 962 [963] 964 965 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126945 times)

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14430 on: August 18, 2011, 04:11:34 am »

Once you have used wood/charcoal to kick-start the coke-making, can you then use coke to make more coke?  Why can't I use coal as a basic fuel to make coke?
you can.
Hmmm. For some reason when I selected a smelter I could not locate an option to form coke from lignite (meaning it was there but not accessible) until I made some charcoal.  I had plenty of coal around, but it didn't seem to work.  How do you start the coking process with lignite alone?

You can't. :P

There are two separate things here- the first is fuel. Fuel is either coke, charcoal, or magma, and is used to fuel reactions. Coal/Lignite are basically ores of coke- you need one charcoal/coke to start the process, after which you will have a net increase in coke and it will be self sustaining. If I recall correctly, 1 Fuel + 1 Lignite = 2 Coke; a net increase of 1 fuel. Bituminous Coal + Fuel = 3 Coke; a net increase of 2 fuel.
silly me, i read the question wrong
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14431 on: August 18, 2011, 06:58:18 am »

goblins dropped, only three or so died, and a few are even walking [...]
are wooden bolts a lost cause?

Wooden bolts will eventually kill them, I think, but you'll probably get a whole lot of practice in before that happens.  (Not a problem from my point of view... depends on how quickly you want them executed, I suppose.)

Bone bolts will definitely work.  Probably faster.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14432 on: August 18, 2011, 07:07:18 am »

I don't plan on having an army other than the Fortress Guard... training isn't important here. I just want them gobberts dead without using metal - I'm not in a hurry, but the sooner I get to extract the goblinite from the tower, the better. I have bone though - if that works better, I'll use it...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14433 on: August 18, 2011, 07:32:02 am »

What files would I have to go about tampering with in order to add elven liaisons back into my game? I want to have an actual fight with these hippies instead of an outright slaughter.
you should edit /data/save/[regionname]/raw/objects/entity_default.raw
Many thanks. To add him, I would simply copy the diplomat entry from the dwarves' raws, correct? Or should I copy the humans'?
I don't know. i guess it's [TREE_CAP_DIPLOMACY] tag in the entity definition that makes them defend trees, so tag in the diplomat's defeinition aren't going to change this. I'd suggest you'd remove trade agreement tags from him so that he speak about trees instead of  offering an agreement. I may be wrong though, try searching the forums for "elf diplomat", there may be some threads containing the raws.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14434 on: August 18, 2011, 10:10:50 am »

I have 2 Female and Male Saltwater Crocs and 2 nest boxes for them, and they are locked in a room together with them.

I also have a number of hens, roosters, turkey gobblers and such all with next boxes and none of them are every claiming the boxes or laying eggs. What gives?

The nest boxes are placed within their Pasture/Pen area. Two years have gone by.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

eastc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14435 on: August 18, 2011, 10:26:59 am »

Are the civs that you see on after you embark 'c' the only ones in the area or do more show up after the first year?

edit: I should add that all 4 civs show up on the site selection screen.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:30:55 am by eastc »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14436 on: August 18, 2011, 10:45:53 am »

Civilizations show up in the c menu after they visit your site.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14437 on: August 18, 2011, 10:48:14 am »

How do I tell the captain of the guard what to arm/armor himself with?

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14438 on: August 18, 2011, 11:02:01 am »

I seem to recall a way of putting a line into your init or d_init, which would make it so cave-ins would no longer pause your game.  Does anyone know or remember what it is?

It's in announcements.txt- I haven't mucked with it myself, so I don't know exactly what it looks like, but I imagine it is fairly self explanatory. That wiki link should tell you what you need to change.
Ah, thanks!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14439 on: August 18, 2011, 11:02:58 am »

How do I tell the captain of the guard what to arm/armor himself with?
In the Military menu, same as any other. Iirc, he will head his own squad, and other dwarves in that squad will be part of the guard force as well and help with the guardly duties, like assaulting and imprisoning criminals.

Though you're probably better of not giving them weapons, as they won't hesitate to use them on your own dwarves over minuscule charges. I always do anyway, though, because they're the damn guard and should have weapons. Usually maces. Don't give them axes, though, and probably not swords. They'll gladly chop your civilian criminals do pieces with them.

I once tried moding in wooden and iron sticks for them to wield. I can't remember if I ever used them.
Love, scriver~

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14440 on: August 18, 2011, 11:32:17 am »

I have 2 Female and Male Saltwater Crocs and 2 nest boxes for them, and they are locked in a room together with them.

I also have a number of hens, roosters, turkey gobblers and such all with next boxes and none of them are every claiming the boxes or laying eggs. What gives?

The nest boxes are placed within their Pasture/Pen area. Two years have gone by.
Are the animals tame?

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14441 on: August 18, 2011, 12:09:01 pm »

Keep in mind that:

a) As far as I can tell, animals only claim a nest box for the duration it has eggs in it (or is on the way to go lay eggs in it), so just because nest boxes aren't claimed doesn't really mean anything...

and

b) Left alone, your dwarves will quickly collect any eggs from nests (well, as long as the haulers don't have too many other things to do, which might slow them down)

Er, actually looking back again, I see the "locked in a room" which should take care of that, for the crocs at least. I can't tell if the birds are locked in or not, if not, that's probably your problem with those. You either need to catch as soon as they lay the eggs and forbid them, or make sure you lock them completely in. With the crocs, I dunno what the problem is unless they're either not tame (as already suggested), or you thought you locked all the doors leading in/blocked off all the entrances, but one of the doors isn't actually locked, or you have some other way into the room that you forgot about.

So yeah, make sure each door is set to "forbid passage," if you have them to "keep tightly closed" that just keeps animals from wandering in and out, but lets dwarves still go through. And check each one carefully, since it's fairly easy to think you have the cursor on one door when it's actually on another.

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14442 on: August 18, 2011, 04:40:16 pm »

didn want to start a thread so ill put it here.
With the new zombies that are coming will their bite also transform other creatures into zombies, whether by killing them itself or only coming into play if they die by other means after being bitten. OR will it only be that necromancers bring back dead stuff.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14443 on: August 18, 2011, 05:07:06 pm »

Only he knows.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14444 on: August 18, 2011, 10:41:10 pm »

I've got a dwarf with two ruined hands- he can't grab anything, so I had to retire him from the military.

What job can I give him that doesn't require hands? I'm thinking bookkeeper, an honorable position that gives him his own office and lets him be useful to the fortress, but I'm not sure if his lack of motor skills will interfere. My alternate is sheriff, but since I lack jails for the foreseeable future I'd rather avoid putting a trained killer in that position.

EDIT: He's got some organizer skill already- would manager be a good fit?
Pages: 1 ... 961 962 [963] 964 965 ... 1178