Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 951 952 [953] 954 955 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127051 times)

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14280 on: August 12, 2011, 02:08:10 am »

Age Change in Legends

Is there any way to determine exactly what event catalyzed an age change in Legends Mode? A newly genned world, The Dimension of Cyclones, progressed from Age of Myth to Legends to Heroes. From what I understand, Megabeast and Semimegabeast survival rate determines these age changes. When I go to view the first entry of the new age and the last entry of the old age no Megabeast or Semimegabeast has died/been slain, so I'm kind of at a loss here.

"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14281 on: August 12, 2011, 02:31:40 am »

Here's a question. Can fishing ever be sustainable, or will it ultimately be overfished and the counter reach zero? I asked because on a recent fort run, I seemed to have an everlasting supply of yak cows/bulls run through the land even though I trapped/killed like 75% of each appearence.

Yaks have the [PET] tag, and are non-vermin, so they will breed, even as untamed yaks in the wild.  So long as a few of each group that appear escape, you'll always have wild yaks.  Fishable vermin fish don't breed, so you will eventually run out of them.
So, if I want say turtles to regenerate, I just to have to mod in the PET tag? Or?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14282 on: August 12, 2011, 08:10:26 am »

Here's a question. Can fishing ever be sustainable, or will it ultimately be overfished and the counter reach zero? I asked because on a recent fort run, I seemed to have an everlasting supply of yak cows/bulls run through the land even though I trapped/killed like 75% of each appearence.

Yaks have the [PET] tag, and are non-vermin, so they will breed, even as untamed yaks in the wild.  So long as a few of each group that appear escape, you'll always have wild yaks.  Fishable vermin fish don't breed, so you will eventually run out of them.
So, if I want say turtles to regenerate, I just to have to mod in the PET tag? Or?
Turtles are vermin.  I don't think vermin breed at the moment even with the [PET] tag.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Urist McTravis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14283 on: August 12, 2011, 08:40:29 am »

oops! wrong subforum, reposting in modding section.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:42:41 am by Urist McTravis »
Urist McTravis cancels breathe, playing dwarf fortress.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14284 on: August 12, 2011, 08:56:14 am »

Does flowing magma sweep items along? Also, does magma completely destroy metal items or just turn them into meltable chunk-things? And, perhaps most important - if I drop a 7X7X1 square of magma on a 7X7X1 grid of (magmasafe) grates with a bunch of goblins on top of the grates, will the magma instantly fall through and barely harm them at all or will it take a while to "seep" through the grates and so slowly burn them and their useless cloth and leather junk to cinders?

...I'm working on a little execution thing. Don't mind me.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14285 on: August 12, 2011, 09:04:03 am »

As far as I can tell, magma behaves like water as far as pushing objects.  Magma at 7/7 will not push anything, but flowing magma at less than 7/7 will push.  Pushed objects sometimes vanish into limbo, just like with water.  Magma-safe metals like iron or steel will not melt, but non-magma-safe metals like copper or silver will turn into useless blobs of molten metal.  There doesn't seem to be any way to turn these into useful bars.  Grates seem to act like open space to fluids - the magma will fall right down as if the grate wasn't there.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14286 on: August 12, 2011, 09:13:16 am »

Do fortifications protect your dwarves at all?  I have an exterior wall that's lined with fortifications in the thought that it'd protect them from incoming arrows, but I'm wondering if that's true.

It sure makes using marksmen hard because they have to be right up next to the fortification.  Thinking about just removing them all together. 
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14287 on: August 12, 2011, 09:35:48 am »

As far as I can tell, magma behaves like water as far as pushing objects.  Magma at 7/7 will not push anything, but flowing magma at less than 7/7 will push.  Pushed objects sometimes vanish into limbo, just like with water.  Magma-safe metals like iron or steel will not melt, but non-magma-safe metals like copper or silver will turn into useless blobs of molten metal.  There doesn't seem to be any way to turn these into useful bars.  Grates seem to act like open space to fluids - the magma will fall right down as if the grate wasn't there.

Hmm. So...if I throw the gobbos into a pit filled with iron-mechanism iron-spike traps hooked to a lever and spike them to death, and then have my dorfs pick out the metal scraps to melt...then I could safely magma the rest'a that nonsense.

Sheesh.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14288 on: August 12, 2011, 09:46:31 am »

Do fortifications protect your dwarves at all?  I have an exterior wall that's lined with fortifications in the thought that it'd protect them from incoming arrows, but I'm wondering if that's true.

It sure makes using marksmen hard because they have to be right up next to the fortification.  Thinking about just removing them all together.

It does protect them.

At ground level, it can protect them from melee invaders, while it does also make it harder for archers to shoot them. Just like fortifications on castles.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14289 on: August 12, 2011, 10:09:19 am »

Fortifications are especially useful for defending against flyers; an exposed part of your fortress will allow flyers in, and you can seal parts off with forts.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14290 on: August 12, 2011, 10:45:00 am »

i cant seem to engrave walls that i have build is there a othere way to engrave walls, exept with D?
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14291 on: August 12, 2011, 10:50:18 am »

i cant seem to engrave walls that i have build is there a othere way to engrave walls, exept with D?

Constructions can't be engraved. Sorry.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14292 on: August 12, 2011, 11:06:47 am »

What does the red "c" in the upper-left corner of the screen signify?

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14293 on: August 12, 2011, 11:12:02 am »

Oh one more thing I've always been curious about.  On the schedule screen for the military, is it better to have a high or low minimum?  It'd seem that if you have a high minimum, it'd never get accomplished due to not everyone being able to be present (due to sleeping, eating, whatever), so a low minimum (of 1 [or 0 if possible]) would be optimal, so that any dwarfs that could train would and any that were busy doing something else could do that instead, but I wonder if by 'minimum' it means that they *have* to train, even if they don't want to (can they even opt not to due to laziness?  I don't know how they're programmed).   

I wonder if by having a low minimum, I'm really stunting their growth.  They sure seem to gain weapon skills at a snails pace when I've run out of stuff to throw in the pit with them.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14294 on: August 12, 2011, 11:13:22 am »

What does the red "c" in the upper-left corner of the screen signify?
A red C in the corner means new combat (r)eports, a blue S means new sparring reports, and a green H means new hunting reports.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 951 952 [953] 954 955 ... 1178