Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 933 934 [935] 936 937 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127268 times)

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14010 on: August 04, 2011, 05:03:26 am »

But I assume this would require some workaround,,
as these uniforms would be "imported goods"
and you are only allowed to imported goods crafted by your own fortress
(with the workaround being, that you can decorate the uniforms which AFAIK automatically would turn them into goods crafted by your fortress)

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14011 on: August 04, 2011, 06:00:33 am »

Geez, my little fortress worked up fine until the elven caravan got swamped by an ambush. There were many things littering around and I claimed some of them. Biggest problem is apparel. It was stored in my stockpile until it was full. I tried to sell stuff and could only access some of it. Tried with another caravan and it didn't work. The stuff in that stockpile is as if it was forbidden, which I didn't. I deleted the stockpile, made a new one, marked the items for dump, de-dumped, forbid and de-forbid them: The dorfs won't touch it.

I noticed items to be ignored when they were lying around where somone died - but not once they were brought intop a stockpile.
Is there a strategy to effectively handle the masses of apparel that drop when someone dies? Get rid of this excess?
I think it's just too much stuff. Can it be disabled altogether on everyone, including goblins and the like?

I'm betting your dwarfs claimed the clothing items. Once something is owned by a dwarf, no other dwarf will touch it.

Do your dwarves have bedrooms? Give them chests and coffers, and they'll start putting away their claimed clothes.

I have bedrooms, they have coffers, but only a couple of rooms are assigned to the doc, mayor, baron etc. Those with the real stuff, golden furniture, electrum statues and such.
So should I assign rooms to individuals? This sound like serious work.
Some of the stuff is also broken (Xpeacock leather shirtX) - maybe they hauled stuff in, dropped their broken clothes and got into those stinkin goblin apparel?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14012 on: August 04, 2011, 06:37:21 am »

Dwarves will automatically claim the first designated bedroom they sleep in.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14013 on: August 04, 2011, 07:15:06 am »

You'll have to bear the tedium of making rooms out of the beds, but assigning them to specific dwarves is, lucky us, not necessary unless you want a specific dwarf to have a specific room (like giving a noble a special apartment or giving an upper class room to cheer up a dwarf who lost his friend lately). Bedrooms that haven't been assigned to anyone will be claimed automatically by the dwarves who don't yet have a room.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14014 on: August 04, 2011, 07:45:39 am »

You'll have to bear the tedium of making rooms out of the beds, but assigning them to specific dwarves is, lucky us, not necessary unless you want a specific dwarf to have a specific room (like giving a noble a special apartment or giving an upper class room to cheer up a dwarf who lost his friend lately). Bedrooms that haven't been assigned to anyone will be claimed automatically by the dwarves who don't yet have a room.
Good thing, more coffers and bags for the neatiness it is, then.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14015 on: August 04, 2011, 09:32:11 am »

Thanks both. Generally seems simple, but not intuitive. And thanks for the tip on the d_init file - I wouldn't have figured that out myself.

Nightwhips

You can't have multiple forts running at the same time in the same region unless you make a copy of the region and place it in a new folder, but then you've really just made a clone of your world.  Otherwise, if you want to use the same region you played in, you have to abandon the existing fort to "free up" that world.

You can just generate more worlds, then when you start new forts or continue you choose which one to play.  I usually have around ten.

Or did you mean you want multiple save files for one fort?  You can have the game autosave every season and create a new file in your folder each time it does so, giving you fallback points.  It's not enabled by default, though.  It's a setting in d_init.txt which is located in your game folder/data/init   (there's a comment that explains how it works in the file).

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:D_init.txt

I didn't explain that well, sorry if it was confusing.

Hi. Just getting started. Can anyone give me a very simple description of how to make multiple saves? It hasn't been obvious to me thus far. Thanks much!

Nightwhips

You can't do it from the game screen. The other way to save the game is to copy the folders and paste it somewhere else.

1. Go to your DF folder.
2. Open the data folder. Open the save folder.
3. Copy the save file you want and the "current" folder.
4. Make a new folder named Backup or whatever you want to name it and put those two save files in there.

When you want to reload an old save just delete or overwrite the current saves with the backups.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Kubuk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14016 on: August 04, 2011, 10:16:00 am »

Hey guys, a brand new DF noobie here
So far I have managed to set up a self-sustaining fortress with over 150 dwarves, the fort has survived a titan's attack and several goblin sieges/ambushes, with only 8 steel-armored soldiers used. However i have a few problems with this fort:
1. The fortress is dug in an area where lots of veins/clusters are found, and the walls are literally rainbow-coloured, and it disturbs me like hell. Is there any way to fix this?
2. The fortress is heavily overpopulated in my opinion, a little bit less than half of the dwarves are actually working, and the rest are just sitting in the main hall. What'd be the ideal ratio of working/idling dwarves?
3. The fortress is drowning in food stockpiles. There are four 3x3 fields that make plants, with 4 growers, and 1 still with a brewer, and I constantly have to designate more and more food stockpiles to have a place for them to put food (and constantly pumping barrels from 3 carpenter's workshops is quite annoying too.). Is it possible to make a -balanced- food/drink industry that doesn't overproduce in this speed?

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14017 on: August 04, 2011, 10:27:46 am »

So far I have managed to set up a self-sustaining fortress with over 150 dwarves, the fort has survived a titan's attack and several goblin sieges/ambushes, with only 8 steel-armored soldiers used. However i have a few problems with this fort:
1. The fortress is dug in an area where lots of veins/clusters are found, and the walls are literally rainbow-coloured, and it disturbs me like hell. Is there any way to fix this?
2. The fortress is heavily overpopulated in my opinion, a little bit less than half of the dwarves are actually working, and the rest are just sitting in the main hall. What'd be the ideal ratio of working/idling dwarves?
3. The fortress is drowning in food stockpiles. There are four 3x3 fields that make plants, with 4 growers, and 1 still with a brewer, and I constantly have to designate more and more food stockpiles to have a place for them to put food (and constantly pumping barrels from 3 carpenter's workshops is quite annoying too.). Is it possible to make a -balanced- food/drink industry that doesn't overproduce in this speed?

The perils of dwarven post-scarcity!

You can generate sites with fewer minerals by changing the "mineral scarcity" tab in world gen options.

You can set a population cap in the init files. I generally cap mine to 25 or thirty or so for the first couple years. You can always set extra dwarves to military -- leather armor and crossbow is all they really need.

I like to avoid having dwarves idle as idling dwarves work on social skills and make friends and then one dwarf dies and everyone's friends with him and you get a tantrum spiral. It's a good idea to set make-work tasks like smoothing and engraving the whole fort, or building a megaproject, or mining out new areas. In my current fort I have them all working on a multistory ice tower.

Legendary producers can end up overproducing food and so forth if you aren't careful. You could just designate extra food to be dumped, or tell your kitchen and still to stop producing food, stop butchering (but then you get lots of animals), set your fields to "fallow" some of the time, etc.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14018 on: August 04, 2011, 11:33:47 am »

1. You can try digging out the walls and building new ones.

2. There's no accepted "ideal ratio", as long as you're producing enough to keep your dwarves happy, they won't care.
To clean up idleness, try making a larger military, or starting up a few new industries, or starting up a megaproject that requires fifty masons.

3. Making lavish prepared meals on repeat can cut down the amount of space food takes up, if you're not doing it already.
Other than that, just put one or more fields to fallow a season and you'll cut down production.

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14019 on: August 04, 2011, 11:36:13 am »

I use all my excess plump helmets for trading, in fact their my main export. Also you can make rock pots at a craftdwarfs workshop. Took me ages to find that so i could trade plump helmets to elves.

Question for everyone, any tips for encouraging above ground tree growth?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14020 on: August 04, 2011, 11:48:20 am »

Harvest the plants. Only a certain number of trees/plants can grow in an area, so harvesting the plants leaves more room for the trees.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14021 on: August 04, 2011, 11:52:34 am »

1: You can always construct floors and dig out colored walls and replace them with whatever stone matches the surrounding layer.  This will, unfortunately for us OCD folk, reveal some tiles behind the walls you dig out.  However, I believe you can hide these walls again with one of the DF Hack tools.

2: I second dumping them into the military.  You could cull them yourself, but why bother when you could have the greenskins do that for you while leveling up the survivors?  Just be careful of tantrum spirals.

3: Fallow fields and trading cooked meals works well for the food.  For the booze, you can just set up "booze equilibrium".  Workers, even legendary brewers, slow down when their workshop is cluttered.  The more cluttered the slower they go.  If you stop expanding the available stockpiles for your booze barrels, then the new booze will have nowhere to go and just hang out in the workshop cluttering it up.  Eventually, booze production will slow to the point of booze creation, and you'll maintain a constant supply of booze.  The nice thing about this system is that it is self regulating: if you put a big dent in your booze reserves then the still becomes uncluttered and you can quickly gear back up.
At last, she is done.

Volakruz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14022 on: August 04, 2011, 12:11:48 pm »

One of my dwarf was going berserk, so I trap him in a cage, and now gone use him as secret weapon against sieges. But here's one little problem. Bearded bastard died by thirst. So I place him in jail, put a food stockpile nearby his cage, but he keeps dying by thirst. I believe there's a lot of idle dorfs with "feed prisoners" labor, but he keeps dying. Any way to keep him alive?

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14023 on: August 04, 2011, 12:18:18 pm »

For the booze, you can just set up "booze equilibrium".  Workers, even legendary brewers, slow down when their workshop is cluttered.  The more cluttered the slower they go.  If you stop expanding the available stockpiles for your booze barrels, then the new booze will have nowhere to go and just hang out in the workshop cluttering it up.  Eventually, booze production will slow to the point of booze creation, and you'll maintain a constant supply of booze.  The nice thing about this system is that it is self regulating: if you put a big dent in your booze reserves then the still becomes uncluttered and you can quickly gear back up.

I had never thought of this, but I love this idea.  I've always felt pressured to expand my stockpiles, but you're right - full stockpiles (and the ensuing clutter) can act as a valve on production speed.  Awesome!  :D

Just to briefly reiterate an earlier question that got lost:

I know that tigermen have some odd issues (due to [PET] and [CAN_LEARN]) which mean they can be bought tame, then freed and become unproductive, electable members of dwarven society, but do badgermen have the same issues?  It's difficult to tell as some of their attributes appear to inherit from badgers rather than being separately defined...unlike tigermen.

I'm planning on adding the [PET] and [TRAINABLE:WAR] tag to badgers - I assume this means badgermen will also become trainable (as they inherit from badgers)?  Also, if I do manage to capture and tame myself a happy band of war badgermen, will I need to feed them?  All I want is an army of humanoid badger monsters!
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #14024 on: August 04, 2011, 12:33:09 pm »

One of my dwarf was going berserk, so I trap him in a cage, and now gone use him as secret weapon against sieges. But here's one little problem. Bearded bastard died by thirst. So I place him in jail, put a food stockpile nearby his cage, but he keeps dying by thirst. I believe there's a lot of idle dorfs with "feed prisoners" labor, but he keeps dying. Any way to keep him alive?

I'm pretty sure once he goes crazy, his category switches from "prisoner' to "enemy", so no, you can't get the others to give him water. And since he's crazy, he wouldn't accept it anyway..
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!
Pages: 1 ... 933 934 [935] 936 937 ... 1178