Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 930 931 [932] 933 934 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127228 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13965 on: August 01, 2011, 02:23:08 pm »

You'll be OK letting a clothier be imprisoned.  It probably won't be for more than a couple seasons, which isn't that long, and as long as someone brings them food and drink, they'll be fine.

You can make a food stockpile and a drink stockpile right next to the chain, so he can self-nourish.  This may be safer than relying on free dwarves to feed a prisoner -- a task they have sometimes been observed to neglect.

It is also possible to replace your mayor through the (N)obles screen, which may or may not be a bug.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Danger rooms are dangerous!
« Reply #13966 on: August 01, 2011, 09:23:05 pm »

I'm creating danger rooms which are barracks, and using 10 wooden TRAINING spears (and yes I have confirmed, more than once, that they are training spears that were used), I assign a squad or two, and some of them die, often within a minute or two.

What do you mean by "ten training spears"? Is that ten total in the whole room, or ten in each trap? If it's the latter, you're increasing the damage the trap causes, which may be the problem. I put one wooden spear in each of my traps, and it seems to work fine. Although it it still possible for a dwarf to get skewered. And beware of pets/children wandering in as well. It's safer to put the danger room behind an always-closed/not-locked door.

Yes, 10 in total in the one Spear Trap. Will just having one be as effective? I guess not killing dwarfs would have to be better. :)
And I already have the room behind a door that is no-pet, but that doesn't stop some slipping through and meeting a nasty fate, along with the babies that are carried in...

I just disassembled the trap and rebuilt it with one spear. All but one of the training spears was of Masterful quality, and one is only Superior, so I put just that one back in the rebuilt trap. Lever pulling has just recommenced... Stay tuned for possible casualty reports. :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 09:50:06 pm by PenguinHero »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13967 on: August 01, 2011, 10:06:35 pm »

Ten spears will train shield, weapon, and fighting ten times faster than one spear will-- meaning you need to train ten times as long with one spear.  (Not sure how it affects dodging.)  So it'll basically be just as deadly with one spear as with ten.

If you can avoid high quality spears, you'd probably be better off.  Don't get your carpenter to build them, just use a peasant, or even better, buy no quality ones from the caravans.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Nataru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13968 on: August 02, 2011, 12:00:14 am »

Where do people get those fancy graphics I see in screenshots? Mine still looks like symbols. :S

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13969 on: August 02, 2011, 12:35:00 am »

Where do people get those fancy graphics I see in screenshots? Mine still looks like symbols. :S

http://dffd.wimbli.com/

You can check out 'full releases' for the game installed plus graphics sets for easy and quick setup, just make sure you aren't downloading something modded to make the game harder.  You can also check out the many different tilesets in their own section if you are willing to play around with the folder.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13970 on: August 02, 2011, 12:37:46 am »

Search for Graphics packs. They're around the place - also, look on the DF wiki; that site has a few links to graphics packs.

Edit: Ninja'd.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:10:48 pm by Niccolo »
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13971 on: August 02, 2011, 02:10:23 am »

It is also possible to replace your mayor through the (N)obles screen, which may or may not be a bug.

Sounds very much like a bug to me, and I haven't even noticed that. I assume I could just cancel the mandate by swapping the mayor with someone else and swapping back.

Nah, more fun letting the dwarves decide.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Terk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13972 on: August 02, 2011, 11:36:12 am »

1) Is there an easy way, possibly an application like Dwarf Therapist, to easily view an compare the physical attributes of all my dwarves? I'm trying to figure out who to draft and it's rather tedious right now.

2) Is there a way to change the announcements to warn me that a dwarf has engaged in combat? As nice as it is to know my miner has discovered another pocket of schist, I'd rather be informed that my legendary planter is being clubbed to death with her own leg by a troll.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13973 on: August 02, 2011, 01:38:38 pm »

2) Is there a way to change the announcements to warn me that a dwarf has engaged in combat? As nice as it is to know my miner has discovered another pocket of schist, I'd rather be informed that my legendary planter is being clubbed to death with her own leg by a troll.

Look for combat reports. The little red 'C' at the side of the page.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13974 on: August 02, 2011, 02:50:03 pm »

I know that tigermen have some odd issues (due to [PET] and [CAN_LEARN]) which mean they can be bought tame, then freed and become unproductive, electable members of dwarven society.

Do badgermen have the same issues?  I'm planning on adding the [PET] and [TRAINABLE] tag to badgers - I assume this means badgermen will also become trainable (as they inherit from badgers)?  Also, if I do manage to capture and tame myself a happy band of war badgermen, will I need to feed them?  All I want is an army of humanoid badger monsters!  ;D
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #13975 on: August 02, 2011, 03:52:18 pm »

What stockpile does ice go into? I figured since my lakes won't thaw I might as well build my fortress out of ice, but now I need to figure out how to get my masons to build crap out of just the ice.

Would ice melt if I brought it inside my fortress? What about ice blocks, do those melt?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13976 on: August 02, 2011, 05:00:27 pm »

There is no stockpile option for ice. If you want to move it, you will have to dump it.

If you bring them into your fort and leave them, they will melt eventually. If you use them to build something, though, then they will not melt.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13977 on: August 02, 2011, 05:56:06 pm »

What stockpile does ice go into? I figured since my lakes won't thaw I might as well build my fortress out of ice, but now I need to figure out how to get my masons to build crap out of just the ice.

Would ice melt if I brought it inside my fortress? What about ice blocks, do those melt?
Ed Boy is right.
To clarify: Ice will melt in any subterranean tiles. Anything made from ice will melt at temperatures that ice normally melts except for made constructions.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13978 on: August 02, 2011, 08:09:50 pm »

Are caravans working correctly? Before embarking i made sure humans, elves, and dwarves (using a custom race) were nearby but in my second year I haven't seen any of them show up.

Omnicast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13979 on: August 03, 2011, 01:50:51 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=e2c7aa1567147a798083becf8749e744&topic=59026.msg1319616#msg1319616

Download that Lazy Newb Pack

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2801

1. Unzip it using 7zip or whatever unzipping program you use.
2. Open the folder and run the exe Lazy Newb Pack
3. Set it up.
4. Pick your graphic packs in the Graphics tab. Click install graphic pack.
5. Enjoy your dwarfs in fancy graphics

1) Is there an easy way, possibly an application like Dwarf Therapist, to easily view an compare the physical attributes of all my dwarves? I'm trying to figure out who to draft and it's rather tedious right now.

1. Yes yes there is. It's called DGC or Dwarven Guidance Counselor and the link is here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83112

Enjoy.
Pages: 1 ... 930 931 [932] 933 934 ... 1178