Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 926 927 [928] 929 930 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127094 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13905 on: July 29, 2011, 07:23:53 pm »

A shield has a higher base chance to block, a buckler uses less materiel to make.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13906 on: July 29, 2011, 07:38:46 pm »

Except right now, shields can already be used in the same hand as a weapon, bucklers will not be equipped by a dwarf who is already carrying something in each hand, and all forged arms and armor (and furniture) require 1 bar regardless of material size.

So in the current environment, the difference between a buckler and a shield is that a buckler blocks half as often as a shield.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

co757

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13907 on: July 29, 2011, 07:51:54 pm »

How do you guys keep track of your Dwarfs' skills?  Do you use spreadsheets or is there a hidden menu I'm missing? 

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13908 on: July 29, 2011, 07:59:07 pm »

Press v and move the cursor over a dwarf, then press g.  Unless you're talking about looking every dwarf's skills at once, in which case you use a 3rd party utility.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13909 on: July 29, 2011, 08:18:56 pm »

What happens if a building destroyer comes upon an open door/hatch/floodgate in its path?  Like, opened with a lever.  Will it try to destroy the building?  Will it succeed?

So I tested, and in case anyone else is curious:

A building destroyer will path to an open portal and destroy it, even though it's open.  So yes, it will try; and yes, it will succeed.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13910 on: July 29, 2011, 08:26:16 pm »

How do you guys keep track of your Dwarfs' skills?  Do you use spreadsheets or is there a hidden menu I'm missing?

Most people seem to use Dwarf Therapist. The game is far more playable using Dwarf Therapist; keeping track of dwarf skills mentally is extremely difficult when you start needing to handle more than a few dwarfs. Dwarf Therapist is a third party application; here is the thread. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66525.0
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13911 on: July 29, 2011, 09:10:02 pm »

How can I, not disable but turn to a minimun that pesky immigration? Also how can I have my dorfs to breed so the fortress doesn't die?
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13912 on: July 29, 2011, 09:15:03 pm »

To change the popularion cap, go to the raws.
Married dwarves will produce children. To get marrages, have dwarves socialize for long periods of time.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13913 on: July 29, 2011, 09:47:09 pm »

How can I, not disable but turn to a minimun that pesky immigration? Also how can I have my dorfs to breed so the fortress doesn't die?

Set the population cap a little at once.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13914 on: July 29, 2011, 11:16:43 pm »

Immigrant numbers are related to fortress wealth.  If you create a lot of wealth all at once you're more likely to draw a large number of immigrants.

Also, new immigrants seem to be frightened away from fortresses with lots of recent deaths.  I'm not sure exactly how the numbers work, but if you're getting too busy you can always identify the immigrants you want to keep and send the, um, other ones to an ingeniously designed fate.  Careful, though, as a large number of deaths may scare all immigrants away for a while.
At last, she is done.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13915 on: July 30, 2011, 06:34:14 am »

Made an Excel-Spreadsheet where I enter all new dwarves (both, from birth as well as from immigration) with important things (like year of birth, talents, jobs I assigned, gender, year/season of death), determine their nickname (which more or less encodes the immigration wave they came from, their gender as well as, if applicable, their cousinship with other dwarves)
with a separate sheet for each forttress I start,
as well as another sheet where I notice important historical data (this sheet is global for all fortresses)

I might try darf therapist at one time (but as an addition for my excel file, not as a replacement)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #13916 on: July 31, 2011, 03:10:38 am »

Will crossbowdwarves shoot at hostiles on the other side of a window?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13917 on: July 31, 2011, 06:59:17 am »

No, they will see them, but I believe the windows are completely solid.
Love, scriver~

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13918 on: July 31, 2011, 07:05:55 am »

No, they will see them, but I believe the windows are completely solid.

Windows are destroyable by building destroyers but otherwise impenetrable as far as I've seen.

They are an integral part of animal powered watch towers, and have been tested reasonably extensively to make sure they can't be shot through.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #13919 on: July 31, 2011, 08:27:49 am »

I don't want to shoot through the windows, just at the windows. I want to know if they will attempt to shoot at the creatures even if the bolts won't penetrate the windows.
Pages: 1 ... 926 927 [928] 929 930 ... 1178