Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 923 924 [925] 926 927 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127053 times)

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13860 on: July 28, 2011, 07:22:38 pm »

Is there a way (hack, utility, etc) to locate specific minerals in the world without embarking, dfprospect.exe, then reloading if failure? I'm finding lignite and coal to be disturbingly rare with this new mineral placement system, even with mineral frequency relatively high. I'd like to confirm that I'll be able to fuel my forges without having to fight down to Magma early on.
Secondary question, while I'm worldgenning here... any clue what makes my worldgen bog down horribly while doing histories? It always seems to speed through the first 80 years or so, but by the time it hits 150, it's at a second or two per year, which can get really annoying, even at half the default history length (500).

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13861 on: July 28, 2011, 07:25:05 pm »

Is there a way (hack, utility, etc) to locate specific minerals in the world without embarking, dfprospect.exe, then reloading if failure? I'm finding lignite and coal to be disturbingly rare with this new mineral placement system, even with mineral frequency relatively high. I'd like to confirm that I'll be able to fuel my forges without having to fight down to Magma early on.
Secondary question, while I'm worldgenning here... any clue what makes my worldgen bog down horribly while doing histories? It always seems to speed through the first 80 years or so, but by the time it hits 150, it's at a second or two per year, which can get really annoying, even at half the default history length (500).
I assume that the worldgen slowdown has something to do with tracking an ever-increasing number of individials and tracking their interactions with each other.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13862 on: July 28, 2011, 07:30:57 pm »

That's what I assumed too, but it didn't happen pre-.18, and it only seems to occur if I use advanced worldgen, not regular. =/

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13863 on: July 28, 2011, 07:34:36 pm »

Another Question,
I got 11 dwarves free, and it's nagging me. What can occupy a dwarf for a long period of time? I already have my miners digging a ridiculous underwater waterfall/well.

As an alternative to the previous good answers, make a military squad, and start them training.  Even if you never use them, they'll develop attributes that will help with any tasks they perform in the future.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13864 on: July 28, 2011, 07:43:54 pm »

So... any input on the coal/lignite issue? I'm not actually sure I've seen any since the mineral change.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 07:47:55 pm by JarinArenos »

rangent

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13865 on: July 28, 2011, 07:55:52 pm »

Hey everyone.  I'm extremely new to Dwarf Fortress, so maybe I'm doing something terribly wrong.  I've been following the Bentgrinder tutorial, and a raccoon is pestering me.  How do I kill it?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13866 on: July 28, 2011, 07:59:33 pm »

Make a military squad, put some dwarves in it
and then order the squad to kill the raccoon

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13867 on: July 28, 2011, 08:06:30 pm »

So... any input on the coal/lignite issue? I'm not actually sure I've seen any since the mineral change.
You don't need coal/lignite. Chop down some trees, build a wood furnace, and make some charcoal.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13868 on: July 28, 2011, 08:20:59 pm »

Hey everyone.  I'm extremely new to Dwarf Fortress, so maybe I'm doing something terribly wrong.  I've been following the Bentgrinder tutorial, and a raccoon is pestering me.  How do I kill it?

Make a militia. ([m] for military screen)

Alternatively, build cage traps around your stockpiles. (Mechanic's workshop for mechanism, carpenter's shop for cage)

Catch it, then tame it (Kennel plus food plus animal trainer)

and butcher it. (Butcher's shop)
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13869 on: July 28, 2011, 09:45:24 pm »

With mineral scarcity at 500, I've seen coal on a few sites. Not so much lignite. I think I saw it once on a throwaway test fort.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

cancel.man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13870 on: July 28, 2011, 11:07:50 pm »

Upright spear/spike trap: How do spears perform compared to menacing spikes (assuming same material & quality)? Any benefit to one or the other?
DF version 0.34.05 Lazy Newb Pack

cancel.man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13871 on: July 28, 2011, 11:11:08 pm »

Upright spear/spike trap: How do spears perform compared to menacing spikes (assuming same material & quality)? Any benefit to one or the other?
Think I found my own answer:
Spear - 20 contact area, 10000 depth
Spike - 10 contact area, 6000 depth

Seem pretty similar, but spears are more likely to be deflected and spikes don't penetrate as deep?
DF version 0.34.05 Lazy Newb Pack

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13872 on: July 28, 2011, 11:35:03 pm »

I have a woodcutter possessed, in a strange mood.  He's taken up a Carpentry shop.  Hitting Q only shows the label that he has taken it.  How do I find out what he wants?  Usually it is listed as something he is saying... right?

[EDIT] Nevermind he started doing what he was supposed to do.  Weird.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 11:37:47 pm by tiresius »
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

BraveDwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13873 on: July 29, 2011, 02:25:29 am »

On a fairly standard embarkment I'm quite a ways down and have found zero lignite or bituminous coal.  Is this common?  Should I keep looking in hopes of finding it or give up and tunnel to the magma?

How do I get dwarves to release hostiles from cages without levers?  Unassigning the enemy from the cage seems to result in a dwarf carting the cage back off to the stockpile and replacing it with a fresh empty one.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #13874 on: July 29, 2011, 02:32:44 am »

I have a woodcutter possessed, in a strange mood.  He's taken up a Carpentry shop.  Hitting Q only shows the label that he has taken it.  How do I find out what he wants?  Usually it is listed as something he is saying... right?

[EDIT] Nevermind he started doing what he was supposed to do.  Weird.

The workshop only shows the needed materials if the dwarf can't get them.  Since you had everything, he just grabbed it and started working.

One way to find out what's needed (and to manipulate what he can get) is to forbid everything in the fort of the first type.  For example, if a dwarf takes a craft shop and grabs bone first, forbid all bone in the z-stocks menu.  He'll then stand in the workshop and scream/mutter/whatever what is needed.  You can then unforbid only the dragon bones and he'll grab those, or forbid all but the sapphires if he wants gems, etc.  That's how people end up with artifact axes with hanging bands of platinum and pictures engraved in diamond.

On a fairly standard embarkment I'm quite a ways down and have found zero lignite or bituminous coal.  Is this common?  Should I keep looking in hopes of finding it or give up and tunnel to the magma?

How do I get dwarves to release hostiles from cages without levers?  Unassigning the enemy from the cage seems to result in a dwarf carting the cage back off to the stockpile and replacing it with a fresh empty one.

I've had embarkments with tons of magnetite and no coal/lignite.  My current fortress is short on iron ore (yay for goblinite), but waaaaaayyyyy long on bituminous coal.  You shouldn't need coal anyway, besides for steel.  Just tunnel down, go around the caverns, until you hit magma.  Set up your smelters and forges down there and get cracking.

As for hostiles, you could try pitting the hostiles.  I think you need to have at least a 1 z-level drop to do so (maybe not, haven't pitted anything in a while), but they'll just toss whatever down there.  You can leave your military up top, or have your dwarfs pit captured goblins down into the barracks.  That's always fun.
Pages: 1 ... 923 924 [925] 926 927 ... 1178