Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 921 922 [923] 924 925 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126996 times)

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13830 on: July 27, 2011, 09:04:33 am »

And no, there was no uniform.. maybe the dwarf was attached to a certain piece or something.

Even if you don't set a uniform for a squad, you probably have all soldiers set to carry rations with them; she was probably trying to pick up a backpack and waterskin.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13831 on: July 27, 2011, 10:10:52 am »

@Aptus - Upping the amount of metal in the earth will also help. I can't remember what the exact modifier is called, though.
Love, scriver~

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13832 on: July 27, 2011, 11:35:17 am »

You can change the raws so that aquifers will not happen. Go to raw\objects, and delete all the [AQUIFER] tags from the files starting with 'inorganic'.

It worked like a charm. The new fortress is coming along fabulously. Thank you so much.

@Scriver, thanks to you as well, didn't have time to try your idea though since the first one on the list did what I needed it to.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13833 on: July 27, 2011, 03:50:34 pm »

genning new world.
medium size, everything else maxxed (history short) i'm at the 76 rejection...:/ will it unlock itself?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13834 on: July 27, 2011, 03:52:00 pm »

Looking for a perfect world isn't worth the time. It's still atackable, and will probably die. Just go wherever. My latest fort is: Diorite, Schist, Schist, Diorite, Granite
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13835 on: July 27, 2011, 03:54:06 pm »

if you're trying to gen the perfect world, you should use Perfect World.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13836 on: July 27, 2011, 03:55:22 pm »

problem was savagery+max number of civ, reduced savagery, otherwise i'll reduce civ numbers.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

farecoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13837 on: July 27, 2011, 06:09:15 pm »

I have a ton of gobs, trolls, and their mounts in cages. How do i get ride of them with no magma and no arena?
Tis a Dwarven Curse to wish Water upon thy enemies, something like "May all yer Ale Barrels run dry and yer tongue always taste water."

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13838 on: July 27, 2011, 06:20:10 pm »

The goblins, at least, will attempt to path off the map edge if released.  You could design a small outdoor pit to release them back into the wild, following which they'll leave your map rather than seeking out dwarves to hurt.  I'm not sure if the trolls will act the same way, but you could always build an arena, or a very deep pit to drop them into, or a hallway of weapon traps.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13839 on: July 27, 2011, 06:26:26 pm »

Or even just build the cage traps one (or two) at a time in a relatively isolated area of your fortress/outside/in the cavern, station your military next to it, and release/kill them.

Edit: Or there's always the zoo option, though that can get out of hand quickly, and it uses up your cages.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 06:29:03 pm by Stormfeather »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13840 on: July 27, 2011, 06:29:46 pm »

Build a few dozen weapon traps in a room, build the cages there, hook them up to levers, lock the room, and let them out.

farecoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13841 on: July 27, 2011, 06:30:19 pm »

Thanks everyone.
Tis a Dwarven Curse to wish Water upon thy enemies, something like "May all yer Ale Barrels run dry and yer tongue always taste water."

farecoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13842 on: July 27, 2011, 06:40:25 pm »

Edit: Disregard this.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 06:52:56 pm by farecoal »

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13843 on: July 28, 2011, 04:18:44 am »

Followup question on my volcano embark. Well the fortress is coming along nicely, a bit too many migrants though, having a hard time keeping up with the bedroom making heh. But anyways on to the question. Soon I am about to dig towards my volcano so I can create some nice magmaforges but I wondered a bit about the construction. The floor you see, will have to be built right over the crater and I am afraid of caveins since the floor isn't really supported by anything due to this. I'll include a picture of my idea of a construction.

The purple is the point of ingress, the green is flooring built straight over the lava, it is connected to that small strip of land I suppose, the M is the magmaforge and the pink is supposed to be a wall to stop any of my resident dumbasses dwarves from taking a dive into the hot tub.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I figured I could build forges like this encircling the outer perimeter of the volcano, that is, if I CAN build like this.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 04:22:56 am by Aptus »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13844 on: July 28, 2011, 04:27:29 am »

Being connected to that small strip of land is enough.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: 1 ... 921 922 [923] 924 925 ... 1178