Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 912 913 [914] 915 916 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126747 times)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13695 on: July 22, 2011, 01:15:00 pm »

Hmm arent dorfs supposed to automatically picking up better equipment? I finally got some steel helmets and bronze greaves but dorfs dont pick them up unless I specifically order them to use certain piece of armor.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13696 on: July 22, 2011, 01:18:26 pm »

How much "sunlight" is needed to prevent dwarves from becoming cave adapted? My meeting area has a "streak" of overground (I replaced the natural floors with constructed ones). The dwarves must pass it to get in or out the meeting area. Is that enough?

ALSO: My exp. Leader isn't doing his meeting with the liaison. Shouldn't that be a high-priority task compared to hauling?
In my experience, going under a single tile marked as light every once in a while is sufficient to prevent cave adaption. So, your setup should work.

"Go to meeting" is actually a pretty low priority job, I believe.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13697 on: July 22, 2011, 04:38:34 pm »

Hmm arent dorfs supposed to automatically picking up better equipment? I finally got some steel helmets and bronze greaves but dorfs dont pick them up unless I specifically order them to use certain piece of armor.

in the military screen, while (e)quipping your dwarves, set the (P)riority of supply.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Darun009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13698 on: July 22, 2011, 06:04:58 pm »

Can I siege be lifted if I hide underground for a long period of time?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13699 on: July 22, 2011, 06:17:20 pm »

Yes, the goblins will eventually get bored and leave.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Darun009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13700 on: July 22, 2011, 06:27:02 pm »

But how long does it take usually?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13701 on: July 22, 2011, 07:59:44 pm »

I'd say about three seasons.  Maybe sometimes as little as one; I don't think they'll ever stay longer than a year.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13702 on: July 22, 2011, 08:00:30 pm »

If I take animal eggs along and refuse to cook them, will they eventually hatch?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13703 on: July 22, 2011, 08:10:54 pm »

If I take animal eggs along and refuse to cook them, will they eventually hatch?
No.  They need to be laid in a nest box by a female animal, with a male animal on the map to fertilize them, and then stay in the nest box (possibly with the mother on them) undisturbed until they hatch.  Eggs removed from a nest box will never hatch.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13704 on: July 22, 2011, 08:14:44 pm »

Damn! I was hoping for an Elk-Bird.

I've modded kobold civs to be controlled by me, but I can't find any. What gives?

And, I've also modded the mountain entity to make wood weapons, but can't make wood weapons at either a carpenter's or craftsdwarf's shop. What gives?

Why don't kobolds survive world gen? What gives?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13705 on: July 22, 2011, 08:18:12 pm »

Kobolds currently have trouble surviving worldgen because unless there is another civ that starts very close to them they have nobody to steal food from to sustain themselves.  They don't produce their own food and typically die out at year 4.

Adding [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] to their creature entry is a workaround, and it can easily be remove again once worldgen is over to make them need to eat and drink in fortress mode with no ill effects.   I have to do something similar with my own modded fortress race.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13706 on: July 22, 2011, 08:20:52 pm »

Why can't they gather and plant and brew their own damn plants!?!? Also, if I do embark as kobs, is it possible for me to bring stuff like dwarves and elves get at embark, or am I gonna have to trade or gather it all?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13707 on: July 22, 2011, 08:28:16 pm »

I'd say about three seasons.  Maybe sometimes as little as one; I don't think they'll ever stay longer than a year.
though, you could get ANOTHER siege right after the first gets bored.  i was holed up for a year and a half because of that.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13708 on: July 22, 2011, 08:37:30 pm »

Why can't they gather and plant and brew their own damn plants!?!? Also, if I do embark as kobs, is it possible for me to bring stuff like dwarves and elves get at embark, or am I gonna have to trade or gather it all?
[BONECARN] Implies carnivore.  They can't eat plants, only meat.  They would have to livestock farm.  Which is of questionable implementation at the moment.  Civs seem to be able to produce meat during worldgen, but civs that can't eat plants still starve even if they should be producing meat from livestock.  Kobolds are weird in that if they have somebody to steal from, they seem to be able to subsist on what they steal no matter what it is.

As for embarking I doubt you would have everything available to dwarves, that would require further modding.  Not sure exactly what the standard vanillaish embark would give you, kobolds don't expand sites the way the other races do, making it a bit of a toss up what kinda stuff is available.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 08:41:15 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13709 on: July 22, 2011, 08:45:10 pm »

[BONECARN] Implies carnivore.  They can't eat plants, only meat.  They would have to livestock farm.  Which is of questionable implementation at the moment.  Civs seem to be able to produce meat during worldgen, but civs that can't eat plants still starve even if they should be producing meat from livestock.  Kobolds are weird in that if they have somebody to steal from, they seem to be able to subsist on what they steal no matter what it is.

also assuming that the kobolds actually steal the food, instead of an +alder bracelet+
Pages: 1 ... 912 913 [914] 915 916 ... 1178