Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 906 907 [908] 909 910 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126616 times)

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13605 on: July 19, 2011, 06:24:30 pm »

Are glacial volcanoes common?
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13606 on: July 19, 2011, 06:25:57 pm »

Sounds to me like you disabled caverns. Dwarves need those to have food.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Darun009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13607 on: July 19, 2011, 07:06:44 pm »

Anyone can help me? D:

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13608 on: July 19, 2011, 07:27:37 pm »

I have a frozen river that pass through a channel that I created.
Now it will be perfect when the ice melt because that will make a pool so when I throw enemies out of my bridge they will drown
But I have a problem
The river don't melt
I'm in a cool climate.
How do I melt the river?

Magma.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13609 on: July 19, 2011, 07:30:18 pm »

I have a frozen river that pass through a channel that I created.
Now it will be perfect when the ice melt because that will make a pool so when I throw enemies out of my bridge they will drown
But I have a problem
The river don't melt
I'm in a cool climate.
How do I melt the river?
If it doesn't melt by itself, you could try running magma directly beneath it. I don't know if it actually works, though, as I have never tried it myself. Only heard talk of it here on the forums.

Hello. I haven't played since the 31.18 version of the game, and now it's just impossible due to world generation problems. All the dwarves die out of starvation sooner or later (their histories usually consist of appointing leaders, which die out of starvation a year after their appointment), same about kobolds and animalian races like bat men. People, goblins and elves are almost unaffected. Is it possible to turn off starvation during the world gen? Is adding [NO_DRINK][NO_EAT] in raws of all thinking creatures the only solution? I don't want to do it due to possible consequences, like all the other dwarves in the outside world dying out as I establish my fortress.
Besides what Shonus said about dwarves, adding those tags to kobolds won't make very much a difference. I haven't noticed any, at least.
Love, scriver~

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13610 on: July 19, 2011, 07:42:58 pm »

Let's say I have a fort and manage to play for 200 or so years without murdering everyone.  Will the people of the world (that aren't involved with my fort) still grow old, die of old age, die of starvation, go through wars and have children?  Further, can new nobles be designated during this, or will my out-lived king and outpost liasons never be replaced?  I want to try for a very secure, very long lived fort and I don't want to run out my world...  or will the inverse happen, and people only die of old age when they come to see the fort?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13611 on: July 19, 2011, 08:06:12 pm »

Giving them a move order to their fighting positions will result in a station. Normally, dwarves will not stand in the same spot, so 1 will stand at the spot, while the others spread out a certain distance, different z levels if possible.

I've never observed dwarves stationing on a different Z level from where you told them to go, unless they happen to see an enemy while they are on a different Z level en route to their chosen station point.  If they see an enemy they can shoot from where they are, while en route, they'll stop there and commence firing.  Usually.

Dwarves choose a station point randomly within a 3-tile radius of the spot you mark.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13612 on: July 19, 2011, 08:55:41 pm »

Let's say I have a fort and manage to play for 200 or so years without murdering everyone.  Will the people of the world (that aren't involved with my fort) still grow old, die of old age, die of starvation, go through wars and have children?  Further, can new nobles be designated during this, or will my out-lived king and outpost liasons never be replaced?  I want to try for a very secure, very long lived fort and I don't want to run out my world...  or will the inverse happen, and people only die of old age when they come to see the fort?

World history is frozen outside your fortress.  Nothing happens.  Nobody even dies of old age outside your embark site.  This will sometimes lead to a king or diplomat stepping onto the map and then instantly dieing of old age, as the game didn't check until then.

Liaisons and diplomats get replaced every year, due to the bug which causes position holders to lose their position when they leave the map.

I don't know if nobles on your map (baron/duke, king) will be replaced if they die of old age.  I suspect they won't be, since they don't seem to be replaced after dieing from other reasons.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13613 on: July 19, 2011, 09:03:47 pm »

Ah, upsetting.  Thank you for your help, Sphalerite.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13614 on: July 19, 2011, 09:35:08 pm »

I don't know if nobles on your map (baron/duke, king) will be replaced if they die of old age.  I suspect they won't be, since they don't seem to be replaced after dieing from other reasons.
=0

the title is not passed to the eldest child?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Darun009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13615 on: July 19, 2011, 11:18:54 pm »

There isnt a way to do this without magma?
Like pressure or something like this?
Im kinda new to the game and I   think if I try to work with magma now I will problably have Fun

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13616 on: July 19, 2011, 11:22:15 pm »

What does legendary crutch-walker DO? Just noticed a military dorf has it...
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13617 on: July 19, 2011, 11:35:51 pm »

It makes them as fast with crutches as they would be if they didn't need them. If a dwarf has Legendary Crutch-Walker then they almost certainly have a permanent leg injury and a crutch in their inventory. It doesn't affect their ability to carry, wear, or use items.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13618 on: July 20, 2011, 12:17:40 am »

How do I designate a clay collection zone? Is it on a wall or a floor and what are the types of clay? I have silty clay loam, fire clay, and clay. I tried putting one on the silty clay loam but it didn't work.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

i874236951

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13619 on: July 20, 2011, 12:22:30 am »

How do I designate a clay collection zone? Is it on a wall or a floor and what are the types of clay? I have silty clay loam, fire clay, and clay. I tried putting one on the silty clay loam but it didn't work.
I can't remember if silty clay loam works for clay, but the other two definitely do.  It's on the floor.  Lay down a zone with {i} and set it to Clay.  You have to start a Collect Clay task at a kiln or through the manager to get them to gather some.
Pages: 1 ... 906 907 [908] 909 910 ... 1178