Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 905 906 [907] 908 909 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126516 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13590 on: July 19, 2011, 07:31:20 am »

someone should fix the wiki article on embarking.  it tells you to check the stone layers.  i'm no wiki editor, or i'd fix it myself.  http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Embark#Layers

I poked at it a bit.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13591 on: July 19, 2011, 08:41:06 am »

someone should fix the wiki article on embarking.  it tells you to check the stone layers.  i'm no wiki editor, or i'd fix it myself.  http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Embark#Layers

I poked at it a bit.

thanks for that.  until i had read a bunch here on the forums, i was thinking i might have been a version behind or something.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13592 on: July 19, 2011, 09:19:34 am »

1 Tiny question, I'm trying to make a sort of ramparts for my marksdwarves. So they won't go run off into a place to not get interrupted or run a long way for ammo could I make my design as shown below?

And if I order my squad to any of the squares in the upper level, do they consider the place they are going to horizontally or do they stop 1 z level lower because of the "station" bug I'm hearing about?

You can stand on staircases and fight right?

lower level

Outside Outside Outside
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Where Outside - Outside the tower/barracks
L - lower stairs (upwards staircase)
U - Upper stairs (downwards staircase)
F - Floor (with ammo stockpile)
W - Wall
X - Fortification
~~~
Upper level

Open air Open air Open air
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Inside of Barracks, blocked

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13593 on: July 19, 2011, 10:34:28 am »

I believe that will work.  You will have to test it to be sure.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13594 on: July 19, 2011, 11:36:03 am »

1 Tiny question, I'm trying to make a sort of ramparts for my marksdwarves. So they won't go run off into a place to not get interrupted or run a long way for ammo could I make my design as shown below?

I put my ammo bins on the upper level, they can fight while standing on the ammo stockpile. I put booze stockpiles on the lower level to reduce the time it takes to get a drink.

I'll steal your idea for a row of stairs instead of just stairs on the ends of the walkway (which is what I've been using). Should make it easier to recover wounded, and keep civilians from getting trapped on the upper rampart. Putting the ammo stockpile on top of stair tiles will make it blink like hell though. :-P

Skache

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13595 on: July 19, 2011, 11:49:15 am »

Hey guys :)

I've got a problem with one of my dwarf kids. It entered a fey mood just now (didn't even know, that's possible for children) and directly occupied  of my Craftdwarf's Workshop. It needs rock bars (according to the wiki =metal bars) and body parts. I've got both material on stock but she doesn't get them. Is it possible that she wants one specific kind of metal?
Another thing is, is that the workshop is absolutely cluttered even though it was never used before she claimed it.

Is that a bug?

I hope you can help me!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13596 on: July 19, 2011, 12:10:33 pm »

Has the kid gathered any materials?  Check the workshop's contents and see if there's anything in there.

It is most likely that the dwarf wants Body Parts first, since artifacts involving metal bars as material aren't made at the Craftsdwarf's shop.  In that case, the kid may want bones, or may want shell or horn or something.  They may also need more than one of each material, so if the kid has already gathered one stack of bones she may still need one or two more bone stacks before moving on to metal.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13597 on: July 19, 2011, 12:13:45 pm »

Hey guys :)

I've got a problem with one of my dwarf kids. It entered a fey mood just now (didn't even know, that's possible for children) and directly occupied  of my Craftdwarf's Workshop. It needs rock bars (according to the wiki =metal bars) and body parts. I've got both material on stock but she doesn't get them. Is it possible that she wants one specific kind of metal?
Another thing is, is that the workshop is absolutely cluttered even though it was never used before she claimed it.

Is that a bug?

I hope you can help me!

The clutter is likely because they already claimed something. Slaughter an animal and see if she grabs more bones.

Skache

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13598 on: July 19, 2011, 01:18:55 pm »

Awesome, thanks guys!
I didn't know that you can view the content of a shop. Like you said she already had gathered some bones and after I butchered some more animals she got to work and build an legendary animal trap :D

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13599 on: July 19, 2011, 01:23:57 pm »

If a soldier lost his leg and walks with a crutch now, does it affect his combat except for his decreased walking speed?

If he loses his both legs can he walk with two crutches?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13600 on: July 19, 2011, 01:43:49 pm »

If a soldier lost his leg and walks with a crutch now, does it affect his combat except for his decreased walking speed?

If he loses his both legs can he walk with two crutches?
1. may take up a hand, totaly, though it might not affect you at all.  the crutch-dwarf will also use the crutch as a weapon.

2.  i think not.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13601 on: July 19, 2011, 03:21:36 pm »

Question: Is it possible to allocate what barrels are to be used for? For instance, only allowing barrels to be used to store alcohol.
Create a separate food stockpile for mead and plant drinks. Set barrel limit to zero in every remaining food stockpile.

Thank you~

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13602 on: July 19, 2011, 03:39:25 pm »

And if I order my squad to any of the squares in the upper level, do they consider the place they are going to horizontally or do they stop 1 z level lower because of the "station" bug I'm hearing about?
Giving them a move order to their fighting positions will result in a station. Normally, dwarves will not stand in the same spot, so 1 will stand at the spot, while the others spread out a certain distance, different z levels if possible. Set a narrow burrow behind the fortifications, where the entire squad can line up against, use a defend burrow alert to get them to this position
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Darun009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13603 on: July 19, 2011, 05:21:16 pm »

I have a frozen river that pass through a channel that I created.
Now it will be perfect when the ice melt because that will make a pool so when I throw enemies out of my bridge they will drown
But I have a problem
The river don't melt
I'm in a cool climate.
How do I melt the river?

A-xia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread — entities starving to death
« Reply #13604 on: July 19, 2011, 05:24:09 pm »

Hello. I haven't played since the 31.18 version of the game, and now it's just impossible due to world generation problems. All the dwarves die out of starvation sooner or later (their histories usually consist of appointing leaders, which die out of starvation a year after their appointment), same about kobolds and animalian races like bat men. People, goblins and elves are almost unaffected. Is it possible to turn off starvation during the world gen? Is adding [NO_DRINK][NO_EAT] in raws of all thinking creatures the only solution? I don't want to do it due to possible consequences, like all the other dwarves in the outside world dying out as I establish my fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 905 906 [907] 908 909 ... 1178