Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 897 898 [899] 900 901 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126325 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13470 on: July 15, 2011, 02:26:22 pm »

I am little confused about this refuse management thing. OK, I am able to create a functional garbage dump over a cliff, and they will throw them into the river if I manually order each bit of rat body to be tossed. I also can create the refuse stockpile, outside the fortress - yuck! And they will take the dead bodies there. But why? Why are they saving this rubbish?

Why won't they throw the useless rat bodies away, straight away? And keep the good stuff like turtles, and CLEAN THEM, so they don't rot...it is vastly confusing! Do I need a separate bone and animal stockpile? Is there some kind of way to not bother moving rat bodies from the food room to some outside stockpile and then to some dumpsite? I don't even pay this much attention to my own trash.  ???

You need a refuse stockpile set for bones, shells, and skulls INDOORS. Inside, dark subterranean. Any external ones should not take it.

I have an Inside Above-ground stockpile inside the curtain wall I tend to erect, set for bodies so they can be hauled somewhere automatically. From there, everything is just mass-designated to be dumped Outside, just outside the gates in a quantum dump.

You could always just let the rats rot where they fall, but that causes miasma.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

deodand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13471 on: July 15, 2011, 02:47:46 pm »

ah, thank you Skorpion! That seems to be improving matters greatly!

And yes, refuse stockpiles should be inside some walls, otherwise good way to meet some Gobbos when holding nothing but a dead rat carcass!

Miner49

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13472 on: July 15, 2011, 03:00:07 pm »

I'm stuck with an artifact trumpet, and don't know what to do with it. Can I tell someone to play it? I can't trade it, and Instruments aren't place-able as far as I know.

Also, the name of the Man who made it is blinking, what does that mean?

Is there any easy way to find out what the layer for coal-like ores is? I need those desperately.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 03:02:45 pm by Miner49 »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13473 on: July 15, 2011, 03:06:14 pm »

I'm stuck with an artifact trumpet, and don't know what to do with it. Can I tell someone to play it? I can't trade it, and Instruments aren't place-able as far as I know.
In a vanilla game, artifact crafts and instruments are useless. You can position them with careful use of stockpiles, but that's it.
It means that he is legendary in at least one skill, most likely the one that he used to make the trumpet. Turn that labor on and use him to make a lot of trade goods.

Is there any easy way to find out what the layer for coal-like ores is? I need those desperately.
Check the wiki.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13474 on: July 15, 2011, 03:06:29 pm »

It's useless. It's a trade good you can't trade.

He's now legendary in whatever skill he used to create it. Masterwork trade goods?

Wiki wiki wiki. Sedimentary layers have bituminous coal and lignite. Can't find them? Use wood to get charcoal instead.
Don't have wood? Import it.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Miner49

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13475 on: July 15, 2011, 03:11:16 pm »

Wiki wiki wiki. Sedimentary layers have bituminous coal and lignite. Can't find them? Use wood to get charcoal instead.
Don't have wood? Import it.

Sorry, should have been more clear. How do I find the sedimentary layer? Just dig around until I find one that has matching ores to the list on the wiki?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13476 on: July 15, 2011, 03:17:03 pm »

Generally, look on the surface for a sedimentary stone.

If you didn't listen in geography class, check the wiki under 'sedimentary'.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13477 on: July 15, 2011, 03:44:17 pm »

could someone explain, really step by step, how you grab a cage with an enemy inside, and then proceed to throw said enemy somewhere else?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13478 on: July 15, 2011, 03:57:22 pm »

could someone explain, really step by step, how you grab a cage with an enemy inside, and then proceed to throw said enemy somewhere else?

The cage is collected and moved to a stockpile automatically with animal hauling. From there, use stockpiling to get it moved to where you want the occupant thrown.
Create a pit/pond zone over a hole over where you want them.
Have them thrown in the pit.
THIS DOES NOT WORK FOR GOBLIN THIEVES. THEY WILL ESCAPE WHEN REMOVED FROM THE CAGE.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13479 on: July 15, 2011, 04:36:51 pm »

I have pitted goblin theves before, but with all creatures it's possible for them to escape (I think it's pretty much just a matter of the creature getting a turn in the split second it takes for the animal hauler to throw the critter down a pit.)

Here's the method I use.

1. Prepare your pit
2 Build the cage containing the critter you want in the pit DIRECTLY ADJACENT to the hole.  I build it as a building since it's easier to get the exact cage you want in the exact place you want it that way. But stockpiles apperantly work too.
3 Make the pit zone that contains both the cage and the hole.
3a. Optionally station military nearby in case of escape.
4. Order a dwarf to pit the goblin from the cage.

Result: The animal hauler will stand on the cage, take the goblin out, and throw them in the pit all within one or two ticks.  Which should be too fast for the critter to realize it can escape.  I think they can escape if they get their "turn" between getting removed from the cage and getting thrown in the hole, but that's just my own little theory, and I don't have much to back it up.

I used to pretty regularly sacrifice goblins and critters of all professions via a pit, and thieves never gave me any more trouble than others did.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 04:38:54 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Darun009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13480 on: July 15, 2011, 05:05:02 pm »

Why my archers don't carry ammo even when I order them to carry?

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13481 on: July 15, 2011, 05:05:37 pm »

I made some waterfalls in the fortress, and they all drain down to one little channel leading into the caverns. Will a constant flow of water be enough to stop any flying beasts from pathing up through it?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13482 on: July 15, 2011, 05:09:37 pm »

Why my archers don't carry ammo even when I order them to carry?

Check your stocks screen to see how much ammunition you actually have.  Archers can go through bolts fast-- you might not have enough left for every archer to carry some.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Darun009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13483 on: July 15, 2011, 05:11:59 pm »

I have tons and tons of bolts in the stockpile and I have them assing to have 30 each.
But none of them carry any.
And I didint make them waste anything.
They just don't pick up.
Do I need to assing quivers to them in the military screen too? And if I have, how do I do it?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13484 on: July 15, 2011, 05:14:57 pm »

Quivers are automatically assigned once you've made them. But I see the problem. In your screen, it probably says

The Squaddy Squad of Squadding               bolts[30]

That's not 30 bolts per dwarf. That's 30 for the entire squad.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 897 898 [899] 900 901 ... 1178