Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 895 896 [897] 898 899 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126281 times)

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13440 on: July 14, 2011, 04:53:19 pm »

They do that, but they also bring other plant strands (pig tail fibre thread for example), even though they're not included in the costume stockpile options.
do you have other stockpiles for those threads?  if so, are they full?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13441 on: July 14, 2011, 05:22:36 pm »

I managed to successfully mod my game to embark as humans, but now I can't appoint nobles or create a military. Does anybody know how to fix this?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13442 on: July 14, 2011, 05:44:16 pm »

It's because humans in the vanilla raws lack many of the entity tags that allow those things to be possible.  It's as easy as a single tag to embark as them, a bit harder to actually be able to do everything reasonably.

You'll want to take some of the tags under [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] and copy them into the human block.  For nobles it's all of this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But you will also need to remove the [VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL] near the end of the human block.

Also helpful would be
because those are other things missing from the human entity that you may not have encountered yet.

Where you put them is largely unimportant as long as they are under [ENTITY:PLAINS] and before [ENTITY:EVIL] You can put them near like tags for neatness and readability, but the game shouldn't care. (don't put any of the stuff from the second spoiler in between any of the stuff in the first spoiler though.  The tags underneath the name of a noble determine how that noble behaves, and it might get confused if it gets tags it dosn't expect there)

P.S. this was a quickie.  I may have missed an important tag or two.  But that should be an improvement.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:49:02 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13443 on: July 14, 2011, 08:58:13 pm »

Giant eagles are overrated.  They really aren't that powerful, especially compared to other giant animals.  Try pitting them against other trainable creatures in the arena, or even a squad of goblins, and you'll see what I mean.  Also, tamed creatures with the ability to fly seem to ignore the ability.  Might be a pathfinding thing.  And frankly, flight is a liability when defending anyway; any flying unit is one good crossbow bolt away from splatter.  Especially since they're generally unarmored.

They breed exceptionally slowly, especially compared to most birds.  That can be observed by looking in the raws.

So what you're saying is that my dream of a Fort with Giant Eagles (who are really cool if they would've tried flying) is now in smoke and ashes for that fact?

And that since they won't fly, it would be better to hold another type of animal; say some Black bears/ Grizzly bears instead?

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13444 on: July 14, 2011, 09:59:06 pm »

It's because humans in the vanilla raws lack many of the entity tags that allow those things to be possible.  It's as easy as a single tag to embark as them, a bit harder to actually be able to do everything reasonably.

You'll want to take some of the tags under [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] and copy them into the human block.  For nobles it's all of this

But you will also need to remove the [VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL] near the end of the human block.

Also helpful would be
because those are other things missing from the human entity that you may not have encountered yet.

Where you put them is largely unimportant as long as they are under [ENTITY:PLAINS] and before [ENTITY:EVIL] You can put them near like tags for neatness and readability, but the game shouldn't care. (don't put any of the stuff from the second spoiler in between any of the stuff in the first spoiler though.  The tags underneath the name of a noble determine how that noble behaves, and it might get confused if it gets tags it dosn't expect there)

P.S. this was a quickie.  I may have missed an important tag or two.  But that should be an improvement.

OK. Thanks!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13445 on: July 15, 2011, 07:41:56 am »

But what about the imports/exports, anyone know?

It's in the (c)ivilizations menu.

It's not. I have a screen that describes the hist figs of the civ and another that has Import value and offerings from my fort. Nothing else.
That's where the trade agreements go. There are three screens. "Historical Figures" "Imports/Exports" and "Trade agreements" If you have no agreements, then the third screen will show "You have no agreements with this land."
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13446 on: July 15, 2011, 07:45:47 am »

But what about the imports/exports, anyone know?

It's in the (c)ivilizations menu.

It's not. I have a screen that describes the hist figs of the civ and another that has Import value and offerings from my fort. Nothing else.
That's where the trade agreements go. There are three screens. "Historical Figures" "Imports/Exports" and "Trade agreements" If you have no agreements, then the third screen will show "You have no agreements with this land."

Well, I do have agreements with my civ so it must be wrong somewhere. They offered me 160% for drinks but that's all I can remember of it.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13447 on: July 15, 2011, 09:08:50 am »

Will dwarves train properly without training weapons?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13448 on: July 15, 2011, 09:17:51 am »

Will dwarves train properly without training weapons?

Yes, I have my dwarves using steel swords for training.  They're gaining experience and have yet to injure each other.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13449 on: July 15, 2011, 09:48:51 am »

I just got DFHack and I'm messing around with some of the options. Is there a way to unreveal the map after I reveal it? The DFUnreveal Utility seems to be implying that it reveals individual tiles, based on how it's worded.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13450 on: July 15, 2011, 10:13:56 am »

to duplicate a game in progress (so that i can safely abandon and read legends), all i have to do is copy and rename the region folder, right?

Darun009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13451 on: July 15, 2011, 10:22:51 am »

How do I make a serrated disc trap. I have the disc already. But how do I put the launcher and how do they interact with the pressure plate?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13452 on: July 15, 2011, 10:26:22 am »

How do I make a serrated disc trap. I have the disc already. But how do I put the launcher and how do they interact with the pressure plate?

when you build a weapon trap, it asks you for the mechanism you are going to use, then up to ten weapons or trap components.  select up to ten weapons and press (d0one.  when built, this weapon trap will only trigger on enemies without trapavoid, and any unconscious entity.  if you instead want the trap to be triggered by lever or pressure plate, build the lever or pressure plate, and then add a "link to trap" task.  once complete, you can set up your pressure plate settings, or stick a dwarf on a repeating "pull lever" job.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13453 on: July 15, 2011, 10:33:58 am »

to duplicate a game in progress (so that i can safely abandon and read legends), all i have to do is copy and rename the region folder, right?

You don't have to worry about renaming. I have a folder somewhere away from all the DF stuff called "DF Backup" where I periodically copy all of my saves. Just open up both in File Viewer and drag the saves out of your DF saves folder, into your backup. If you want to reset it to how it was, DELETE the entry for the world in the DF Folder, and drag it over from your backup.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #13454 on: July 15, 2011, 10:36:18 am »

Will magma flow off the edge of the map through fortifications carved into the edge of the map like water will?
Pages: 1 ... 895 896 [897] 898 899 ... 1178