Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 894 895 [896] 897 898 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126257 times)

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13425 on: July 14, 2011, 04:55:44 am »

Ah, I usually go with glass large, serrated discs because metal ones are a waste of metal (except for the Scenario of Prison, my artifact iron large, serrated disc, it's amazing at lopping off troll limbs, I don't want to know what inspired the weaponsmith to name it that, though)

i have glass disks that lop off ogre limbs with a fair amount of regularity.  i have a pair of windows in the wall around my tower's moat.  on the landward side of the windoes i have a couple of stocked up weapon traps.  i have a mix of copper and glass disks, silver balls, glass axe blades, and a whip or two.  the window attracts building destroyers, and the weapons chop them up.i also have marksdwarves in the tower shooting down through fortifications.  once the windows are down, anything that wanders onto the weapon traps has a small chance of dodging into my moat and eventually drowning.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Jack Dandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13426 on: July 14, 2011, 05:56:55 am »

Dwarves are putting adamantine strands in stockpiles that have them prohibited.. what gives?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13427 on: July 14, 2011, 06:03:25 am »

Dwarves are putting adamantine strands in stockpiles that have them prohibited.. what gives?

You sure you haven't prohibited adamantine wafers or raw adamantine instead?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Jack Dandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13428 on: July 14, 2011, 06:30:16 am »

Absolutely sure. Ionly have the "threads" category enabled, anyway. And from there, only Adamantine threads.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13429 on: July 14, 2011, 06:32:32 am »

Absolutely sure. Ionly have the "threads" category enabled, anyway. And from there, only Adamantine threads.

Uh, but that means they should bring adamantine there.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Jack Dandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13430 on: July 14, 2011, 06:37:00 am »

They do that, but they also bring other plant strands (pig tail fibre thread for example), even though they're not included in the costume stockpile options.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13431 on: July 14, 2011, 06:49:11 am »

They do that, but they also bring other plant strands (pig tail fibre thread for example), even though they're not included in the costume stockpile options.

That's odd. I must check the screens when I get home. You sure you've set up material restrictions properly?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13432 on: July 14, 2011, 07:25:44 am »

as sand collection is a "zone", you can not place a pasture or meeting hall over it

That's incorrect.  You can stack zones on top of each other -- a sand collection zone can be partially or wholly overlaid by a pasture zone.  I've done it, when I absolutely had to get rid of that one tile of moss.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13433 on: July 14, 2011, 07:36:51 am »

You don't need to stack zones to begin with. A zone can be several kinds of zones at the same time, you don't need new zones for the same area. Just enable as many types you want, be it sand gathering, pasture, water or whatever.
Love, scriver~

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13434 on: July 14, 2011, 09:26:51 am »

But what about the imports/exports, anyone know?

It's in the (c)ivilizations menu.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13435 on: July 14, 2011, 09:50:33 am »

Giant Eagles

I have a breeding pair tamed (trade is the best way to flourish)

And now (other than the problem of breeding) I notice that none of them ever get off the ground and fly.

They are both outdoors, free to their own whims and yet they won't even dare to FLY at all, just moving about in the muddy, dusty earth.

Other than that, they also congregate in the Meeting Area designated, how do I fix that? I would love to see my TAME eagles actually flying and being the fearsome beings that they actually are.

And, if possible, could someone update the wiki article on this on how they actually breed or how nest boxes actually work?

theothersteve7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13436 on: July 14, 2011, 10:57:24 am »

Giant eagles are overrated.  They really aren't that powerful, especially compared to other giant animals.  Try pitting them against other trainable creatures in the arena, or even a squad of goblins, and you'll see what I mean.  Also, tamed creatures with the ability to fly seem to ignore the ability.  Might be a pathfinding thing.  And frankly, flight is a liability when defending anyway; any flying unit is one good crossbow bolt away from splatter.  Especially since they're generally unarmored.

They breed exceptionally slowly, especially compared to most birds.  That can be observed by looking in the raws.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13437 on: July 14, 2011, 01:10:30 pm »

Giant Eagles

I have a breeding pair tamed (trade is the best way to flourish)

And now (other than the problem of breeding) I notice that none of them ever get off the ground and fly.

They are both outdoors, free to their own whims and yet they won't even dare to FLY at all, just moving about in the muddy, dusty earth.

Other than that, they also congregate in the Meeting Area designated, how do I fix that? I would love to see my TAME eagles actually flying and being the fearsome beings that they actually are.

And, if possible, could someone update the wiki article on this on how they actually breed or how nest boxes actually work?

I've been working on getting my tame giant eagles to breed successfully a lot lately. I haven't had much success -- in twenty fort-years I've only hatched one clutch of giant eagle hatchlings.

To get that one clutch to hatch, I had to edit the raws to change [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET], then cordon the eagles off in a separate locked chamber with nest boxes of their own. It took that clutch almost exactly six months to hatch (just a few days short).  Since then I haven't had any more hatchlings and t's been about 8 years of game time. I'm currently trying locking them all up in a room separate from the rest of the fort, chaining the male up separately (so he can't displace the mothers from their nests), giving them all masterwork nest boxes, and butchering everything else in the fort that moves, just to make sure I'm not running into some cap or other.

They *are* cool though.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 02:32:53 pm by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13438 on: July 14, 2011, 01:34:42 pm »

Cloth stockpiles are bugged :(
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13439 on: July 14, 2011, 02:10:38 pm »

But what about the imports/exports, anyone know?

It's in the (c)ivilizations menu.

It's not. I have a screen that describes the hist figs of the civ and another that has Import value and offerings from my fort. Nothing else.
Pages: 1 ... 894 895 [896] 897 898 ... 1178