Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 883 884 [885] 886 887 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125835 times)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13260 on: July 11, 2011, 03:39:39 am »

The problem is only partly the number of trips it requires. The main problem is your haulers spend more time outside where they have a high chance of dying, plus the increase in number of objects in the game which slows down CPU, and the increase need for corpse stockpile space etc.

One stockpile space can hold a single corpse (if it's not chopped up), or an arm, or a toe etc.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13261 on: July 11, 2011, 03:48:24 am »

Dumping solves space issues, and don't corpse parts rot and vanish over time?

(if not, my next Fortress will have a dwarfy flush toilet system which'll dump every bit of waste in the river)
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13262 on: July 11, 2011, 03:58:13 am »

Dumping will solve that, but it's micro-management and it's easier just to not have to do it.

I've not heard much good said about whips, I wouldn't bother.

Hammersdwarves squad + Axedwarves squad + Marksdwarves squad(s) is my normal combo.

Don't flush into a river - stuff NEVER disappears. (it may just get washed to the end of the river, not off the map)

Usa magma dumping or atom-smashing raising bridges (atom-smasher is the simplest and can be built anywhere). Atom-smashers can be used as a drainage system too - it'll atom-smash water to non-existent. Iron and other magma-proof stuff will just clog up Magma btw, whereas atom-smashers work on everything, except Forgotten Beasts.

And - try and automated ALL defences, unless you want to train soldiers up.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:03:48 am by Reelyanoob »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13263 on: July 11, 2011, 04:06:49 am »

I've not heard much good said about whips, I wouldn't bother.

So... you haven't tried being a lasher in adventure mode? Whips are just broken. I just played a lasher yesterday and instakilled most of the things I ran into. One shot knocked out a troll, and next one finished it. Just imagine a supersonic piece of metal and all that force centered on a very small area - that's how the whips work in Adventure mode, and as far as I know Dwarf Mode combat mechanics aren't significantly different. The only reason not to use them would be their "rarity" as dwarves can't make them, and as far as I know, neither can elves. Scavenge from goblins or buy from humans.

EDIT: By the way, I'm quite sad that dumping waste in the river won't work. I've always imagined my dwarves to be not just striking the earth, but beating it senseless with all sorts of eco-terrorism...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:13:26 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13264 on: July 11, 2011, 04:50:48 am »

Ive read about those weird titans emmiting things like kindness, love, ect. Do they still attack when those kind show up? Or are they good?
Ah, the common misconception that yhe dorfs are the good guys... I mean, if you were a higher being of Good and Love, why wouldn't you be hostile to dorfs?
Love, scriver~

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13265 on: July 11, 2011, 04:53:26 am »

@kay12: Yeah, you're right the problem is that you can't get whips in fortress mode normally, you'd have to mod the game or be lucky with imports/invaders. there's threads discussing whips i've seen around.

Rivers main use is to dump water on the enemies. I have an excellent drowning trap design here:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=82372.msg2187113#msg2187113

That's a quite brief description, but it selectively drowns enemies while allowing friendly units to pass safely. I make a bank of the little tunnels, so that one can be drowning while others are passable.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:56:12 am by Reelyanoob »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13266 on: July 11, 2011, 04:57:32 am »

I don't like drowning chambers. I want to keep at least a small royal guard trained and entertained with goblin combat...

Of course, after a siege or two, mass execution devices may shine a lot more!

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13267 on: July 11, 2011, 05:14:16 am »

The game is actually pretty easy if you pull out all the tricks, so the question is "maximum style" rather than max. efficiency.

Problem with the drowning tunnel above was that half the invaders run away once their mates start dying.

My solution was a room with many "HP" pressure plate/hatch exits (basically one-way traps). It traps entire sieges in the room  before they start dying. I have 1 wall be all foritifications, with a 1x10 Raising bridge as a "shutter". After the whole enemy bunch is trapped, I lower the shutter to have marksdwarves execute the enemy. That room can double as a drowning chamber too, with some thought as to drainage etc.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13268 on: July 11, 2011, 05:23:39 am »

Creating inpenetrable defences in DF isn't too hard. The easiest way is just to mine your way in ASAP, gather lots and lots of firewood, fetch in all your supplies and say goodbye to the sun while walling of the entrance...

The only problem would be the lack of caravans and migrants though. No biggie.

Misery

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13269 on: July 11, 2011, 07:39:44 am »

Ok, I have a small question:

If I have a dwarf taken by a "fey mood", who just stands absolutely perfectly still out in the middle of an open field..... am I missing something?  Should I *do* something to get him to run to a workshop?

Happened earlier, later lost the dwarf to obvious insanity.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13270 on: July 11, 2011, 07:44:46 am »

Ok, I have a small question:

If I have a dwarf taken by a "fey mood", who just stands absolutely perfectly still out in the middle of an open field..... am I missing something?  Should I *do* something to get him to run to a workshop?

Happened earlier, later lost the dwarf to obvious insanity.

This means you don't have the workshop that he needs for the mood.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13271 on: July 11, 2011, 07:48:38 am »

If I have a dwarf taken by a "fey mood", who just stands absolutely perfectly still out in the middle of an open field..... am I missing something?

He needs a specific workshop (which one will depend on his skills at the time he is taken by the mood), and you don't have one.  Try building one of every workshop you don't already have.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13272 on: July 11, 2011, 08:03:14 am »

If I have a dwarf taken by a "fey mood", who just stands absolutely perfectly still out in the middle of an open field..... am I missing something?

He needs a specific workshop (which one will depend on his skills at the time he is taken by the mood), and you don't have one.  Try building one of every moodable workshop you don't already have.

Fixed - see the red add :)

The wiki article on moods gives a list of what workshops quality for moods.  If your dwarf has any skills that correspond to moodable workshops, build those shops first.  Failing that, build a craftdwarf workshop.  After that just build all the rest of the moodable workshops you don't already have.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13273 on: July 11, 2011, 08:43:41 am »

IIRC, dorfs mood for their highest (moodable) skill. So build the corresponding workshop for that skills first.
Here is a list of skills and workshops.
Love, scriver~

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13274 on: July 11, 2011, 10:12:08 am »

I need some tips to protect myself against goblin thieves.
Normally I'm not to bothered with these guys, the population usually consists of adult dwarves and only a handful of children.

This fortress though my civ has died, and I'm trying to populate through newborns in an effort to revive my civ if you will.
Anyway, goblin  thieves have been making sure that won't go as planned.

So, I need some ideas on how to ward off these buggers. Right now I have a single dog standing at the front gate holding watch to stop any sneaky thieves, but he is proving to be pretty inadequate in his job.
Thieves are managing to get inside my fortress and kidnap children without being detected at all, so I need a better way to detect and preferably kill these buggers in a way that doesn't involve stationing an entire squad near the entrance.

Any ideas?
Pages: 1 ... 883 884 [885] 886 887 ... 1178