Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 881 882 [883] 884 885 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125791 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13230 on: July 10, 2011, 12:07:42 pm »

I've once seen something like tamed vermin (not even sure on how I got it but I had no animal traps in) in the Units screen but I can't seem to locate it or view it at all.

Elf caravans like to bring these, in cages.  If you can find it on the stocks screen, you can zoom to it from there.  Otherwise, you can inspect all the cages at the depot.

Unrelated: you know what doesn't work?  Trying to lure the goblin siege who are cowardly hanging around the edge of the map by bringing a tame tiger to a 1x1 pasture near the goblins.  I figured the civilian leading the tiger would see the goblins and flee, and then the goblins would pursue the tiger.  What acually happened was the civilian still kept hold of the tiger, and her baby in the other hand, and all three of them sort of waddled away from the one goblin who pursued them.  The goblin got all three of them.  Even though I de-zoned the pasture zone entirely, and even though the pen/pasture job was cancelled upon sight of the enemy, she never let go of that elfin' tiger.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13231 on: July 10, 2011, 12:16:17 pm »

I completely forget how to do this. After I strip prisoners of their delicious goblonite. How do I re designate it to throw them (driections for with and with out the cage wold be nice) into the river (my garbage dump). The water level is like 4 levels down so they should drown from the stun of being dropped.

I dont trust my self enough to use them for sparing. Lest fun occurs. But what would be the next easy way to get rid of them? Also I don't have lava yet so I cant do that.

never mind I devided to construct a drowning pit. Thanks tho!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 12:50:21 pm by Zaphod »
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13232 on: July 10, 2011, 01:30:10 pm »

I'm being spammed with Dwarf Cancels Task: Could Not Find Path.

I haven't obstructed cavern or surface access in any way. It was fine yesterday.

?????

edit: And it's not happening anymore for some reason. ??????????????
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 01:32:02 pm by billybobfred »
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13233 on: July 10, 2011, 01:56:48 pm »

I haven't obstructed cavern or surface access in any way. It was fine yesterday.

?????

I got that a few times, mine was caused by mass building of things in tight spaces, they can be reached but until the objects "blocking" are finished it will be regarded as impossible to get to.

Also, can dwarves use bows? A moody dwarf made a badass bow and I was wondering if someone can use it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13234 on: July 10, 2011, 02:08:52 pm »

They can use it, but you'll have to buy arrows from the elves or humans.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13235 on: July 10, 2011, 03:07:49 pm »

Is it possible to have more than one dwarf work in a hospital? I just got two immigrants, who's medical skills combined together make one competent doctor. But desperate they only make half of one. Or will dwarfs with proper skills still do some hospital work?
I only play legends mode

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13236 on: July 10, 2011, 03:16:24 pm »

Yeah, as long as the hospital's up-and-running, and they've got the skills enabled, both should pick up jobs created there.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13237 on: July 10, 2011, 03:21:33 pm »

Well I've had a dwarf sitting in there  for almost a year now, missing all his limbs with multiple fractures. I've yet to get ahold of gypsum ( requested it in trade, fingers crossed) But they won't put him in the traction bench. He just just sleeps all day. Will they only put him in traction if casts are available?

As long as he's fed and watered and remains infection free he's fine right? Or will what bones he has left heal improperly.
I only play legends mode

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13238 on: July 10, 2011, 03:26:18 pm »

Did you try fabricating a few splints? Is wood too scarce?
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13239 on: July 10, 2011, 04:01:25 pm »

Did you try fabricating a few splints? Is wood too scarce?

I believe you can make splints from metals too.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13240 on: July 10, 2011, 04:04:31 pm »

?????

You will get many, many of these messages if you try to build floors in rooms with lots of rock on the ground.  The rocks will get used as they are supposed to get used, mostly finishing the paving job, but the actual paving job cannot be completed with other rocks sitting on the tiles.  Let the dwarves finish with the first pass of construction to make room and use up some rocks, then come back later and unsuspend the jobs the dwarves couldn't finish.

Dwarves won't move rocks onto adjacent tiles when other dwarves are actively working on those tiles, which is why they don't move them the first time around, typically.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13241 on: July 10, 2011, 04:29:00 pm »

I have splints, but I thought splints and casts did a slightly different job. Idk what the deal is then why no one is doing anything about this quadriplegic. I was slightly wrong, he isn't missing all his limbs. One arm is a stump right above the elbow and one leg is still there to the knee.

Sorry to tell you Urist Mcwheelchair, but "resting and recovering" alone wont fix what you got.

Also, when he came into the hospital he was treated for open wounds and I think cleaned with soap. Then he was left to sleep it off....dem dorfs man, dem dorfs.
I only play legends mode

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13242 on: July 10, 2011, 05:22:54 pm »

How are the different enemies of the fortress aligned to each other?
Would megabeasts attack goblins and trolls and vice versa?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13243 on: July 10, 2011, 05:28:18 pm »

How are the different enemies of the fortress aligned to each other?
Would megabeasts attack goblins and trolls and vice versa?

Yes.  At least normally.  I think goblin civs attack everything, even other goblin civs.  Not sure what might happen with multiple human or elven civs, if one is seiging and the other coming to trade, or some such.

Megabeasts pretty much attack everything.  Except maybe other megabeasts.  Uncertain.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13244 on: July 10, 2011, 05:48:10 pm »

I have splints, but I thought splints and casts did a slightly different job. Idk what the deal is then why no one is doing anything about this quadriplegic. I was slightly wrong, he isn't missing all his limbs. One arm is a stump right above the elbow and one leg is still there to the knee.

Sorry to tell you Urist Mcwheelchair, but "resting and recovering" alone wont fix what you got.

Also, when he came into the hospital he was treated for open wounds and I think cleaned with soap. Then he was left to sleep it off....dem dorfs man, dem dorfs.

If he has no limbs at all he may be stuck there forever.  Can't do most (possibly any) jobs without a grasp part, and he also needs a grasp part for a crutch.  Permanent bedrest seems to be the most useful use of his time, besides rolling into a magma pool for you of course.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 881 882 [883] 884 885 ... 1178