Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125435 times)

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13080 on: July 06, 2011, 03:18:37 pm »

Hey guys.

About desalinating water.. Apparently you can do this by having the (ocean)water pumped through to a cistern made entirely out of constructed floors and walls.

Does the area have to be channeled out first or can you simply construct floors over the dirt?

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13081 on: July 06, 2011, 03:23:31 pm »

Is there any good way to train up doctors? My chief medical dwarf has been watching his diagnosis skill atrophy horribly.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13082 on: July 06, 2011, 03:27:31 pm »

As far as I know you can construct your walls and floors wherever you wish, but channeling out a hole to make the constructions doesn't seem like a bad idea.
In the end the essence of the matter is that the water touches no natural stone in the salt biome, so long as it touches only something constructed it's good.

And those medical skills are a pain, the rate at wich your medical dwarves gain skills through practice is just so incredibly slow. Consider embarking with a medical dwarf assigned plenty of medical skills, or pray for a useful migrant.
Or you could force some unfortunate accidents, but honestly I've had half my fortress in hospital at some point and the chief medical dwarf (who was also in the hospital at first  ::)) didn't even gain a new skill level.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:30:47 pm by Jelle »

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13083 on: July 06, 2011, 03:29:12 pm »

Is there any good way to train up doctors? My chief medical dwarf has been watching his diagnosis skill atrophy horribly.

set up a danger room and have your guys get injured...thats it...
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13084 on: July 06, 2011, 03:29:33 pm »

Quote from: Ifeno on Today at 02:37:41 pm
Quote from: Farmerbob on July 05, 2011, 11:13:38 pm
Quote from: Ifeno on July 05, 2011, 09:08:08 pm
so one of my guys lost his lower leg to a violent ghost, and my chief of medical (has diagnostics enabled) refuses to diagnose...help?  The legless guy is starting to smell funny and id like to get him back to work... how do i get my cmd to stop hauling crap and harvesting plants nd diagnose?  (he only has diagnostics, cleaning, and bone setting enabled...thats it...)

If the patient is in the hospital, set up a hospital warren/burrow and keep the chief medical dwarf in there with his own little bedroom and storage for food and drink.  If there are no wounded to tend, remove him from the burrow and let him socialize.

tried it...he'd rather sit there and idle than diagnose the patient :S... help?

ok so after a grand total of 7 evaluations my chief medical dwarf finally came to the brilliant conclusion that the patient's leg appears to be missing.  REALLY?!  I mean...WHO COULD'VE GUESSED?!  however now the fool wont grab a crutch even though i have plenty of them...thoughts?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13085 on: July 06, 2011, 03:31:07 pm »

Hey guys.

About desalinating water.. Apparently you can do this by having the (ocean)water pumped through to a cistern made entirely out of constructed floors and walls.

Does the area have to be channeled out first or can you simply construct floors over the dirt?
Nope just build the constructed floor directly on the dirt and it will be fine.

I put up a quick little design for a way to make a dwarf fall 2 z-levels on command about a page back, it was in an attempt to get an injured dwarf re-diagnosed, but I'm sure it will work just as well on healthy dwarves.  Intentionally wound a few now and then with something like that and you'll give your doctors practice, at a small risk of death to the dwarves.   But really if they are dumb enough to fall head first they deserved to die right?  P.S. As somebody above mentioned though, it probably won't do much more than clean off the rust and keep them from rusting, actually gaining skill is another matter entirely.  Medical skills train SLOOOOW.

ok so after a grand total of 7 evaluations my chief medical dwarf finally came to the brilliant conclusion that the patient's leg appears to be missing.  REALLY?!  I mean...WHO COULD'VE GUESSED?!  however now the fool wont grab a crutch even though i have plenty of them...thoughts?
Hmm, I forget if it is a military dwarf, if they are try freeing up a hand.  I think if they are assigned a two handed weapon, or a sword and shield, or otherwise don't have a free grasp they might not get one.  But at this point I'm really just grabbing at straws.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:34:09 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13086 on: July 06, 2011, 03:36:02 pm »

Alright. Just making sure.

Curiously, my pumpstack is made completely out of constructed stuff, yet it's apparently not a watersource in the Zones screen.. meaning it's still salty.

Just want to make sure my water is clean. Water from a well supposedly desalinizes, yet the buckets are filled with water laced with salt. No one has died from infection in the years even though just about every wound claims it is infected (even though it has been cleaned with soap). Dwarves don't seem to have bad thoughts when receiving water from these buckets with "salty" water.

I'm just a bit confused, even though it seems to be going alright.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13087 on: July 06, 2011, 03:45:07 pm »

I've got a question about heredity. So the elves brought me a pair of grizzly bears which I took gladly. The male is "enormous yet very weak." The female is "gigantic." Will their offspring all be weak, and will this be a problem for using them as military bears?
Just. Smash. Them. Together.

Report back after four bear generations :`)

You're probably using vanilla DF so the bears do not have any biting or fighting skills.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks. How long does it take for a grizzly to reach adulthood?

This got pushed onto the last page, still looking for an answer

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13088 on: July 06, 2011, 03:47:19 pm »

Hmm, yours is the third report I know of of that not working, yet I also have experience from .25 that it does still work from doing it myself.  Maybe something got bugged (or less bugged, depending on what you consider the industrial water filter capabilities of pumps to be) making the process not as reliable anymore.

[insert shrug.jpg here]  Puzzling, but I don't feel like ‼SCIENCE‼ at the moment.

This got pushed onto the last page, still looking for an answer
Sorry must have missed it.   The raws say 1 year.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13089 on: July 06, 2011, 04:03:46 pm »

Another thing then. Ghosts and engraving slabs.

I've read some bug reports that sometimes ghosts don't appear in the names-to-engrave list. Mine do, but when I try to engrave their names... nothing happens. No dwarf is assigned to do it, yet I have plenty of available engravers (I don't know which job it is, but plenty of stone detailers and stone crafters are available/idle). It has worked before.

Now I have 4 ghosts roaming around .. They're just restless haunts, but I'm gonna be in trouble when an angry one appears and randomly murders dwarves.

Edit: Ignore this, I'm an idiot and checked Therapist. Apparently I turned off all Stone Detailing jobs.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:06:24 pm by IceShade »

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13090 on: July 06, 2011, 04:11:15 pm »

Hmm, I forget if it is a military dwarf, if they are try freeing up a hand.  I think if they are assigned a two handed weapon, or a sword and shield, or otherwise don't have a free grasp they might not get one.  But at this point I'm really just grabbing at straws.

nope...he's just some guy...he's not holding anything in any hand...he's just kind of laying there "resting"

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes magma and dwarves for their macabre ways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13091 on: July 06, 2011, 04:35:46 pm »

Okay, first of all, sorry if the question has already been asked (because it almost certainly was, it's just that I cannot seem to find it by the search function and 900 pages of little questions is too much to browse through).

Is there any way to stop the hospital from claiming all thread I produce whenever it has container space, other than creating a locked hospital storeroom? Setting limits doesn't work, the dorfs just haul the thread anyway.
I know I can't prevent the candy thread from being claimed for sutures, so I'm setting up a closed processing plant that converts raw candy into wafers. Do I have to set up my clothing industry likewise, or is there some workaround?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13092 on: July 06, 2011, 04:38:08 pm »

Okay, first of all, sorry if the question has already been asked (because it almost certainly was, it's just that I cannot seem to find it by the search function and 900 pages of little questions is too much to browse through).

Is there any way to stop the hospital from claiming all thread I produce whenever it has container space, other than creating a locked hospital storeroom? Setting limits doesn't work, the dorfs just haul the thread anyway.
I know I can't prevent the candy thread from being claimed for sutures, so I'm setting up a closed processing plant that converts raw candy into wafers. Do I have to set up my clothing industry likewise, or is there some workaround?

you can reduce the quantity stored by the hospital.
How you can do it i don't recall, but you can.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13093 on: July 06, 2011, 04:45:09 pm »

If you hover over the hospital zone, you can set Hospital Information (H) . There you can set the limits for every item. The dwarves will respect that limit... more or less.

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes magma and dwarves for their macabre ways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13094 on: July 06, 2011, 04:45:34 pm »

you can reduce the quantity stored by the hospital.
How you can do it i don't recall, but you can.

Reducing the limit doesn't work, when there's any free space in the coffers, haulers use this opportunity to bring in more thread. Which is extra annoying, because the thread uses up the storage space meant for gypsum plaster and soap.

Would storing hospital supplies in a stockpile inside the zone work, or do they HAVE to be stored in the damn coffers?
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 1178