Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 870 871 [872] 873 874 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125451 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13065 on: July 06, 2011, 10:11:00 am »

I have magma at z-level 48, and oddly enough, the sea at level 58. Is this rare, because for the most part, the sea seems to be at level 160 or so. Any ideas?

I assume you're looking at the number in the upper-right corner ("-58" or similar), which shows Z-level relative to the surface.  The bottom-right corner shows the Z-level on an absolute scale, where 0 is typically close to the magma sea level.

It's common to find magma only 50 or so Z levels below the surface if you're embarking on a low, flat plain rather than in mountains.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13066 on: July 06, 2011, 10:22:14 am »

Am I the only one who's getting a textarea that's wider than the browser window, and can't see the right hand side of the textarea at all, even if I scroll the whole window?  I have to click Preview to see what I'm typing.

I assume this is related to Toady's forum software update (07/05/2011 announcement on http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html).

Firefox 5.0, Linux.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13067 on: July 06, 2011, 10:32:28 am »

In the announcements post he made on the forum it mentions that you have to hold shift and hit reload. 

I guess browsers store a little bit of the forum code or something, holding shift while hitting refresh does a full page reload fixing the odd bits.  While reload by itself doesn't.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13068 on: July 06, 2011, 10:59:55 am »

Ah, thank you.  I never even knew that there was another Announcements forum up above the Dwarf Fortress Announcements forum that I did see....

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13069 on: July 06, 2011, 11:07:22 am »

I've got a lye problem. I decided to be clever and make a barrel full of lye; one barrel full of lye takes up less space than an equivalent number of trees, ash bars or potash bars, and I can make potash/pearlash or soap easily enough. The problem is, I apparently can't use any of it; "potash from lye" jobs cancel because they need a lye bearing item, despite the presence of a damned barrel of lye, though I can make soap for some strange reason. Halp? What do?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13070 on: July 06, 2011, 11:10:50 am »

I've got a lye problem. I decided to be clever and make a barrel full of lye; one barrel full of lye takes up less space than an equivalent number of trees, ash bars or potash bars, and I can make potash/pearlash or soap easily enough. The problem is, I apparently can't use any of it; "potash from lye" jobs cancel because they need a lye bearing item, despite the presence of a damned barrel of lye, though I can make soap for some strange reason. Halp? What do?
in that barrel is there perhaps dreaded MILK or WATER? if so you have a barrel full of useless lye.
unless it's a lie and there a way to use the lye.

horrible pun.
However you could solve trying to dump and reclaim the barrel.
if it doesn't work look for burrows problem, closed door or pathfinding.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13071 on: July 06, 2011, 12:08:09 pm »

in that barrel is there perhaps dreaded MILK or WATER? if so you have a barrel full of useless lye.
unless it's a lie and there a way to use the lye.

horrible pun.
However you could solve trying to dump and reclaim the barrel.
if it doesn't work look for burrows problem, closed door or pathfinding.
I've seen the mixed liquids problem before with buckets, but never in lye barrels, and AFAIK, the barrel contains lye and lye only. Dumping and reclaiming the barrel might do something; worst case scenario I've wasted a lot of lye and wood.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13072 on: July 06, 2011, 12:36:56 pm »

Ummm, interesting question. If I have a dworf with the description "one of the only one of it's kind" Does that mean that I won't get migrants?
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13073 on: July 06, 2011, 01:25:31 pm »

If dwarves are scarce, they're probably aren't ant dwarven civs, so you probably won't get any migrants after the first two waves.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13074 on: July 06, 2011, 01:45:40 pm »

I believe barrels of lye still have a stockpile bug.  That is, if they're in a stockpile, they can't be used, but if they're outside of a stockpile, they're fine.  Since food stockpiles accept lye by default, you may need to turn that off.  For existing barrels that are already in a stockpile, you may have to dump them somewhere else outside the stockpile (then reclaim).

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13075 on: July 06, 2011, 01:55:08 pm »

I've got a question about heredity. So the elves brought me a pair of grizzly bears which I took gladly. The male is "enormous yet very weak." The female is "gigantic." Will their offspring all be weak, and will this be a problem for using them as military bears?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #13076 on: July 06, 2011, 02:13:48 pm »

I've got a question about heredity. So the elves brought me a pair of grizzly bears which I took gladly. The male is "enormous yet very weak." The female is "gigantic." Will their offspring all be weak, and will this be a problem for using them as military bears?
Just. Smash. Them. Together.

Report back after four bear generations :`)

You're probably using vanilla DF so the bears do not have any biting or fighting skills.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13077 on: July 06, 2011, 02:37:41 pm »

so one of my guys lost his lower leg to a violent ghost, and my chief of medical (has diagnostics enabled) refuses to diagnose...help?  The legless guy is starting to smell funny and id like to get him back to work... how do i get my cmd to stop hauling crap and harvesting plants nd diagnose?  (he only has diagnostics, cleaning, and bone setting enabled...thats it...)

If the patient is in the hospital, set up a hospital warren/burrow and keep the chief medical dwarf in there with his own little bedroom and storage for food and drink.  If there are no wounded to tend, remove him from the burrow and let him socialize.

tried it...he'd rather sit there and idle than diagnose the patient :S... help?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13078 on: July 06, 2011, 02:39:16 pm »

Just. Smash. Them. Together.

Report back after four bear generations :`)

You're probably using vanilla DF so the bears do not have any biting or fighting skills.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks. How long does it take for a grizzly to reach adulthood?

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13079 on: July 06, 2011, 03:18:01 pm »

so one of my guys lost his lower leg to a violent ghost, and my chief of medical (has diagnostics enabled) refuses to diagnose...help?  The legless guy is starting to smell funny and id like to get him back to work... how do i get my cmd to stop hauling crap and harvesting plants nd diagnose?  (he only has diagnostics, cleaning, and bone setting enabled...thats it...)

If the patient is in the hospital, set up a hospital warren/burrow and keep the chief medical dwarf in there with his own little bedroom and storage for food and drink.  If there are no wounded to tend, remove him from the burrow and let him socialize.

tried it...he'd rather sit there and idle than diagnose the patient :S... help?

ok so after a grand total of 7 evaluations my chief medical dwarf finally came to the brilliant conclusion that the patient's leg appears to be missing.  REALLY?!  I mean...WHO COULD'VE GUESSED?!  however now the fool wont grab a crutch even though i have plenty of them...thoughts?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.
Pages: 1 ... 870 871 [872] 873 874 ... 1178