Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 861 862 [863] 864 865 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125115 times)

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12930 on: July 02, 2011, 08:08:03 am »

Goblin Master Thieves avoids traps, I think, but common thieves/snatchers does not (unlike Kobold thieves).

I've always just spammed cage traps down the hallway and I've never had a problem with thieves. I think if you pen up an animal right at the front of your hallway it will detect thieves, who then get captured by the cages.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 08:49:46 am by beefsupreme »

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12931 on: July 02, 2011, 08:12:49 am »

You can also use ropes for chaining/leashing animals.

Instead of using a rope or chain, you can set a pasture in your entrance and assign a wardog to it.  Or several 1 tile pastures with a wardog in each...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12932 on: July 02, 2011, 08:22:24 am »

You can also use ropes for chaining/leashing animals.

Instead of using a rope or chain, you can set a pasture in your entrance and assign a wardog to it.  Or several 1 tile pastures with a wardog in each...
This is a very good idea. Also makes it possible for the poor guard-animal tro run away from enemies if it's a non-war/aggressive animal, unlike leashed animals.

What about the Artifact? I can't find anything on the Wiki about what to do with it.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Statues

"b"uild a "s"tatue and possibly create a sculpture garden from that.
This is just if it is a Statue, though. Statue-ettes are crafts and can't be built, only sold. And Artefact crafts can't be sold, only stored.

Unless you mod the game to include "Artefact Display" buildings, or something like that. I don't know how, though, but there are no doubt a lot such mods in the modding forum.
Love, scriver~

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12933 on: July 02, 2011, 08:35:31 am »

Do kobolds still starve to death in year 2? I just downloaded 31.25 and can't find the carnivore tag in entity default for skulking, am i right to assume they're ok for now?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12934 on: July 02, 2011, 08:50:20 am »

Do dwarves get any negative thoughts from being naked? I'd really like to prioritize cloaks and the like for my soldiers.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12935 on: July 02, 2011, 08:59:46 am »

Do dwarves get any negative thoughts from being naked? I'd really like to prioritize cloaks and the like for my soldiers.

Nope, they only get negative thought when owned clothings are worn ( I don't know if wearing uniform that wears does it also ). You'll have to overproduce cloaks anyway since some might claim it  :D

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12936 on: July 02, 2011, 09:06:03 am »

Do kobolds still starve to death in year 2? I just downloaded 31.25 and can't find the carnivore tag in entity default for skulking, am i right to assume they're ok for now?
bonecarn is not the property of entity, but of creature, so it's in the kobold creature raws. and yes, they still do.

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12937 on: July 02, 2011, 09:17:10 am »

Is there a bug with the siege ammo on furniture stockpiles in this version?
Ballista arrows are stored in my furniture stockpile even after I forbade siege ammo on the stockpile and made an own stockpile allowing only siege ammo next to the ballista.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12938 on: July 02, 2011, 09:40:15 am »

Kobolds don't have the carnivore tag, but they have bonecarn wich includes the carnivore characteristics.
In my case they all still die. I've never genned a world where they didn't die. :(
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 09:42:18 am by Jelle »

deodand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12939 on: July 02, 2011, 09:53:55 am »

Thank you for the prompt answers, scriver and pete

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12940 on: July 02, 2011, 11:04:46 am »

Is there a bug with the siege ammo on furniture stockpiles in this version?
Ballista arrows are stored in my furniture stockpile even after I forbade siege ammo on the stockpile and made an own stockpile allowing only siege ammo next to the ballista.
I don't if there is a bug, but if there isn't, you can try to get around it by selecting the ammo stockpile, use the "take from" command and then targeting the furniture stockpile. This should make them carry ammo to the right place. Unless something else is wrong.
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12941 on: July 02, 2011, 11:16:33 am »

If you want them to survive, add [NODRINK] and [NOEAT] (I'm 99% certain that's how they are spelled, you can check the wiki goblin creature raw entry if you don't want to guess) after the [BONECARN] entry. In the creature raws though, as somebody else said, not the entity raws.

Thank you for the prompt answers, scriver and pete
I'm glad to be of service. I hope I helped ;)

edit: God, what a mess of a post that was. I was certain I pressed "modify", too. I guess I shouldn't go off and start cooking inbetween writing on my phone. Bad for one's focus ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:24:16 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12942 on: July 02, 2011, 11:31:11 am »

My mistake, thanks for clarifying that i'll just fix things up and regen :D
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12943 on: July 02, 2011, 12:33:34 pm »

Are there any special benefit when a dwarf start naming their weapon ??
It shows up on your artifacts screen!  Otherwise, naw.
I thought that it becomes an artifact, i.e. gets the artifact modifier?

Another question: How do I kill water creatures? I've got a few pond grabbers that really annoy me. Do I need dwarves that can swim?

I don't think it get the modifier. As for the water critters, have markdwarves shoot them until they bleed out.
Ah pond grabbers those annoying buggers. I usually have marksdwarves deal with them, they won't be able to fight back to since they won't leave the water.
Thank you both for your answers. I thought I already tried that (gave a kill order to my archers) but my archers didn't do anything. That's why I asked the question in the first place. I must've mixed up my squads or something, will try again.

Atm, I have a more serious problem, tho. There's some kind of infection spreading through my fort, which killed already a few pets. The infected dwarves (and pets) have fever, rotten feet, produce miasma, and activate traps. With the graphics set that i'm using (Phoebus in LNP) they blink with an orange cross. After they are treated in the hospital they seem fine for a while but some get ill again.

I have no idea how my dwarves got infected and what I should do about it (other than trying to keep my hospital stocked and the patients fed).
The last time I encountered an FB was a while ago, at least a year, possibly more.

I've had already a few tantrums, looks like I'm in for some FUN if I can't stop this infection...

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12944 on: July 02, 2011, 12:50:32 pm »

Thank you both for your answers. I thought I already tried that (gave a kill order to my archers) but my archers didn't do anything. That's why I asked the question in the first place. I must've mixed up my squads or something, will try again.

Atm, I have a more serious problem, tho. There's some kind of infection spreading through my fort, which killed already a few pets. The infected dwarves (and pets) have fever, rotten feet, produce miasma, and activate traps. With the graphics set that i'm using (Phoebus in LNP) they blink with an orange cross. After they are treated in the hospital they seem fine for a while but some get ill again.

I have no idea how my dwarves got infected and what I should do about it (other than trying to keep my hospital stocked and the patients fed).
The last time I encountered an FB was a while ago, at least a year, possibly more.

I've had already a few tantrums, looks like I'm in for some FUN if I can't stop this infection...

Using move order works better on markdwarves for flying and swimming enemies, get them close enough that they can see them. If they don't automatically fires at them, you can issue kill order there and hope they're smart enough to recognize they can shoot it.

As for infection and such, make a lot of boots, draft your civilians into uniforms ( no need to put them on-duty ) with boots in them, check out anywhere there're blood or ichor and clean them up. You'll have problem with miners, woodcutters and hunters job. Can't do much for pets, other than putting them all in pastures and hoping things clears up. Other than all that, all you can do is wait and see what happen, that's the fun part :D

If it's been a while, then it's possibly a delayed effect syndromes, still good idea to double-check any messes around.
Pages: 1 ... 861 862 [863] 864 865 ... 1178