Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 840 841 [842] 843 844 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125027 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12615 on: June 22, 2011, 08:13:30 pm »

Anyway, I am curious about these "demon temples" and since I could not find any information on the magma wiki I ask for information here.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Demonic_fortress

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #12616 on: June 22, 2011, 09:10:14 pm »

What work raises agility? Slow militiadwarves irritate me to no end.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12617 on: June 22, 2011, 09:55:51 pm »

According to the wiki, anything that raises the following skills also raises agility:

Bowyer, Carpenter, Wood cutter, Engraver, Mason, Animal caretaker, Animal trainer, Trapper, Bone doctor, Crutch-walker, Surgeon, Suturer, Wound dresser, Brewer, Butcher, Cheese maker, Cook, Dyer, Grower, Herbalist, Milker, Miller, Tanner, Thresher, Fish cleaner, Fish dissector, Fisherdwarf, Armorsmith, Metal crafter, Metalsmith, Weaponsmith, Gem cutter, Gem setter, Bone carver, Clothier, Glassmaker, Leatherworker, Stone crafter, Weaver, Wood crafter, Strand extractor, Mechanic, Siege engineer, Alchemist, Swimmer, Comedian, Intimidator, Student, Druid, Coordination, all general combat, close combat, and ranged combat/hunting skills (but not Biter or Armor user)
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #12618 on: June 22, 2011, 10:01:00 pm »

I see, thanks! I just remembered stat decay overcomes any growth that happens anyway but good to know when I mod that out next time. :P

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12619 on: June 23, 2011, 01:22:46 am »

I have a squad, and I have weapons, and my uniform (IIRC) dictates that these guys should use a melee weapon of their choice. Why do they still show up as wrestlers?

Also, I periodically see all my military return to their original job titles, before "re-enlisting" again. Whysdat?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12620 on: June 23, 2011, 01:46:25 am »

Compare the skill levels for wrestling and the relevant weapon. The higher skill determines military profession.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12621 on: June 23, 2011, 02:12:34 am »

Well, I think something's busted anyway. I assume they should've caught enough weapon skills now to be something else than wrestlers. I'll check back later once I've made sure they actually use those weapons.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12622 on: June 23, 2011, 02:21:52 am »

I have a squad, and I have weapons, and my uniform (IIRC) dictates that these guys should use a melee weapon of their choice. Why do they still show up as wrestlers?

Also, I periodically see all my military return to their original job titles, before "re-enlisting" again. Whysdat?

First is because their wrestling skill is higher than weapon skill, easily happens if they have to go hand on hand against enemies, or aren't equipped with weapons.

Second, that's what happens when some military skill is lower than civilian skill, happens at end/beginning of each month. I think it's a bug, but it only happens until they're more skilled with weapon or wrestling, than their civlian skill, or they becomes a lord.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12623 on: June 23, 2011, 02:23:47 am »

Actually, could the first one because they only have real weapons, not training ones?

EDIT: Also, any tips for a newbie for reaching magma? I have plenty of charcoal for fuel but having magma could Liberate wood for crafting and carpentry. Not to mention all the other fun stuff I've planned for it :P
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 02:28:45 am by Kay12 »

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12624 on: June 23, 2011, 02:28:34 am »

Actually, could the first one because they only have real weapons, not training ones?

Nope, it's either they didn't had weapon equipped while training/attacking or they wrestles more often than using their weapons. It happens when they loses the weapon, or enemies get on top of them and grapples.

Miner49

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12625 on: June 23, 2011, 08:18:32 am »

2 things:

1: I've just started placing workshops, I'm looking on the wiki and I'm sure I have the right labors enabled. For some reason, none of the workshops are getting built. Why could this be?
I had to smooth the floor, interestingly related to my second question.

2: I'm getting annoyed by all these lumps of tetrahedryte and stone all over the floor, as well as the ores sitting in the middle of the floor which I can't pick up. How do I get rid of these? I've tried smoothing the floor, but that doesn't seem to work.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:27:21 am by Miner49 »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12626 on: June 23, 2011, 08:24:05 am »

2: I'm getting annoyed by all these lumps of tetrahedryte and stone all over the floor, as well as the ores sitting in the middle of the floor which I can't pick up. How do I get rid of these? I've tried smoothing the floor, but that doesn't seem to work.
Why would you wanna get rid of ores? You need metal to survive.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Miner49

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12627 on: June 23, 2011, 08:28:12 am »

Why would you wanna get rid of ores? You need metal to survive.

Sorry, not get rid of them, but collect them. My miners mine the stone and leave the ore behind. I want to collect it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:34:23 am by Miner49 »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12628 on: June 23, 2011, 08:59:25 am »

Smelt it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12629 on: June 23, 2011, 09:00:15 am »

Sorry, not get rid of them, but collect them. My miners mine the stone and leave the ore behind. I want to collect it.

Stone stockpile have section that allow you to use it for ore, valuable stones, or regular stones. You need to build more stockpiles. Then smelting, though I assume you want it to be moved closer to the furnaces  :D
Pages: 1 ... 840 841 [842] 843 844 ... 1178