Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 831 832 [833] 834 835 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125318 times)

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12480 on: June 18, 2011, 10:03:34 am »

If I run magma under a frozen brook to melt it, how much water will that generate? Will the brook tiles keep generating a constant water flow, or will I just get the few tiles I un-freeze?

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12481 on: June 18, 2011, 10:28:02 am »

If I run magma under a frozen brook to melt it, how much water will that generate? Will the brook tiles keep generating a constant water flow, or will I just get the few tiles I un-freeze?

Only the tiles you unfreeze.

To get constant generation, you need to run the magma all the way along the brook to the edge of the map where the water enters (NOT exits!) To do this, dig to the second-last square and then engrave fortifications. This allows the magma to flow off the edge and thus heat up the generating squares.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12482 on: June 18, 2011, 10:40:12 am »

To get constant generation, you need to run the magma all the way along the brook to the edge of the map where the water enters (NOT exits!) To do this, dig to the second-last square and then engrave fortifications. This allows the magma to flow off the edge and thus heat up the generating squares.

Or pump magma in/out and let the tile freeze up and defrost, each ice wall makes 7/7 water, and, if I remembers right, it only takes 2/7 to make the ice wall, so you get extra 5/7 water ( or a bit less if the 2/7 is wrong, I know it's less than 7/7 for sure )

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12483 on: June 18, 2011, 10:42:56 am »

Hahaha! Thank you, engraving fortifications is going to be the bit that makes it work. Will I need a constant flow of magma in there due to magma flowing off the map through the fortifications?

Of course, I'll still need to figure out what to do about the water being stagnant, since it's from a swamp biome. . . .I wonder if freezing it cleans it?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:07:19 am by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy »

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12484 on: June 18, 2011, 04:29:55 pm »

second question:

Is granite magma-safe? I'm relying on a granite door to eventually burn, but apparently it just won't.  I placed it north of a constructed fortification, to keep the dwarf building to the south, on the theory that the magma would just flow through the fortification, incinerate the disposable door, onwards. But the door seems to be holding the lava like it's perfectly magma safe, even though the wiki lists granite is non magma safe. What's up?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12485 on: June 18, 2011, 04:37:23 pm »

second question:

Is granite magma-safe? I'm relying on a granite door to eventually burn, but apparently it just won't.  I placed it north of a constructed fortification, to keep the dwarf building to the south, on the theory that the magma would just flow through the fortification, incinerate the disposable door, onwards. But the door seems to be holding the lava like it's perfectly magma safe, even though the wiki lists granite is non magma safe. What's up?

I don't believe doors melt unless they are opened.  Try attaching some magma-safe mechanisms to it to open it remotely, and see what happens when you open it.

Use magma safe mechanisms just in case the door does not melt when opened - that way it will stay open.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12486 on: June 18, 2011, 06:56:12 pm »

If you attach non magma safe-mechanisms to a magma safe-whatever, will the building/support/et cetera also deconstruct when the mechanisms melt?
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12487 on: June 18, 2011, 07:40:36 pm »

If you attach non magma safe-mechanisms to a magma safe-whatever, will the building/support/et cetera also deconstruct when the mechanisms melt?

Yes, if the mechanism installed at the device isn't magma-safe, the device will deconstruct when the mechanism melts.  Note that when you connect a lever or pressure plate to a target, two mechanisms are requires, one of which goes in lever or pressure plate and the other in the target device.  Only the one in target needs to be magma-safe.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12488 on: June 18, 2011, 08:10:34 pm »

Yes, if the mechanism installed at the device isn't magma-safe, the device will deconstruct when the mechanism melts.  Note that when you connect a lever or pressure plate to a target, two mechanisms are requires, one of which goes in lever or pressure plate and the other in the target device.  Only the one in target needs to be magma-safe.

If you *want* the whole mess to deconstruct, can you just use non-magma-safe mechanisms throughout?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12489 on: June 18, 2011, 08:15:10 pm »

if you "want" it to deconstruct just dont build it save the resources for a magma cannon
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12490 on: June 18, 2011, 09:27:33 pm »

Hrm. I've been looking through the raws...

As I understand it, Elves do not by default send diplomats - but humans do (to a barony, I think it was). But in the raws, there is only a diplomatic position defined for dwarves.

If I want to mod in the Elven diplomat, do I just sorta copy-paste the position section? I remember reading that there was something that had to be changed, but I'm not sure what. The wiki tends to be not entirely informative, sadly.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12491 on: June 18, 2011, 09:29:39 pm »

if you "want" it to deconstruct just dont build it save the resources for a magma cannon

Need to have something there so the dwarf building the fortification doesn't stand in that square and get trapped behind the magma flood.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12492 on: June 18, 2011, 10:45:09 pm »

its a dorf i could sell you a couple if your short
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12493 on: June 19, 2011, 12:50:57 am »

second question:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Magma_safe nope. However doors won't 'break' unless you open it, and magma gets in the tile that it exists in. Same's true for other constructs ( other than stuff like floor, wall and ramps ). So open the door, and you'll see it burn up  :D

Or if you're the less risk-taking type, hook it up to a mechanism ( preferably non-magmaproof so it'll melt away uselessly )  and open it with magma against it.

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12494 on: June 19, 2011, 03:12:32 am »

Is there any way to actively increase the size of trade caravans?  I currently buy everything I could possibly want from each caravan for about three egg roasts and a few exceptional weapons, both of which I own in the thousands (Making a master-work equipped military, woo!)

There are all these way to make items for trading, but I don't really see much point, since I can buy out the caravan anyway.  But I did notice more traders coming than before, which I would assume means more trade-stuffs, which I would assume means there's something causing more of them to come.

So how to I encourage trade?  Do I just offer them a bazillion worth of goods, and expect that to cause them to come back with friends?  Does it have to do with population?  Roads?  Wealth? Something else?
Pages: 1 ... 831 832 [833] 834 835 ... 1178