Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 829 830 [831] 832 833 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125417 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12450 on: June 17, 2011, 03:21:26 am »

But is there a way I can make them all go to a particular location to wait while I form up the militia?

Yes - with burrows.  They can give you strong but not flawless control where your dwarves go.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12451 on: June 17, 2011, 03:27:04 am »

But is there a way I can make them all go to a particular location to wait while I form up the militia?

Yes - with burrows.  They can give you strong but not flawless control where your dwarves go.
Yes, you should declare a burrow encompassing all "safe" areas of the map - i.e. your fort and anti-siege shacks if you build any. Add all your dwarves to this burrow, and when goblins come, activate the burrow alert. Dwarves will generally give up their tasks if they are somehow connected with "forbidden" area and run toward the safe place.

However, once they see a goblin, everything will be forgotten and they'll just run away from the first seen enemy. (which often turns to be toward the others.)

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12452 on: June 17, 2011, 09:39:57 am »

I've noticed that you don't have to put them all in the burrow in this case.  At least, not manually.  In the Alert screen you just set your CIV to the alert you want, then choose the burrow you want them all in.  All non-military dwarves will make haste to their new safe zone (I haven't checked to see if this includes military dwarves that are off-duty - I usually just set all my squads to a defense-related alert when the sieges come).

... Unless, of course, they've already seen a gobbo.  Nanomage is right.  Once they see an enemy they will forget all about burrows until that enemy is no longer a threat to them or they have the authority (but not necessarily ability) are drafted to fight it.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
Specify dump zone for refuse only?
« Reply #12453 on: June 17, 2011, 11:27:41 am »

I use dump zones to dump rocks which I have mined. The problem is, that as soon as I designate such a dump zone, dwarves also carry the remains and corpses of vermin to them, which then rot and produce miasma.

Can I somehow specify that I want a dump zone for stones only and another one for corpses only?
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12454 on: June 17, 2011, 11:49:30 am »

Nope. All you can do is have one active while you dump stone, and the other active while you dump everything else. You could aslo use refuse stockpliles.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #12455 on: June 17, 2011, 12:05:00 pm »

Thanks.

Another question. My baroness has mandated the creation of two anvil. I have no iron or steel to make them from, but I have adamantine. I saw that it is possible to craft anvils from adamantine. But I cannot smelt adamantine. The metalsmith says he needs adamantine wafers. How do I get them? Shall I extract strands from the adamantine? Will it yield wafers?
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12456 on: June 17, 2011, 12:09:42 pm »

1. To process adamantine, you use the extract strands order at the crafstdwarfs shop. That will net you adamantine strands. Smelt these at a smelter to get wafers. Wafers are roughly 1/3 of a bar.

2. This is a horrible waste of adamantine. Kill the noble instead.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #12457 on: June 17, 2011, 12:14:42 pm »

what happens when I don't meet her mandate? I'll try to make some iron. I hope I still have the two hematite blocks I took with me on my embark.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #12458 on: June 17, 2011, 12:16:56 pm »

Wait, I actually have some iron anvil which I bought from traders. Maybe I can smelt them and make new ones from the iron I get from them. That should please my baroness.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12459 on: June 17, 2011, 01:38:25 pm »

what happens when I don't meet her mandate? I'll try to make some iron. I hope I still have the two hematite blocks I took with me on my embark.

1) justice enabled+ chains adn cages? Dwarf who can build anvil gets prisoned
2) justice enabled NO chains and cages=dwarf gets hit
3)no justice enabled= nothing happens. but it's listed. Enable justice and sentences are carried out.
in any case, she gets negative thoughts.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12460 on: June 17, 2011, 02:10:00 pm »

You cannot smelt blocks, last I checked, only raw stone ores.

And it depends on if you have justice system up, if you does, someone'll get punished and get tossed in jail or hammered. If you don't, then nothing happen ( but note above post on punishment waiting and waiting... )

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #12461 on: June 17, 2011, 02:22:21 pm »

Ok I managed to smelt the two iron anvils I bought and from that iron I could make new anvils and meet my baroness' mandate.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #12462 on: June 17, 2011, 02:26:27 pm »

Now I have another problem. My fort just dealt with it first siege. During the fights I have restricted the civilians to a safe burrow and let my military fight (but mostly die). It was a Pyrrhic victory. Now I have the problem that I cannot tell my civilians that they are no longer restricted to the safe burrow. They shall now go and reload the cage traps, and burry the dead.

TL;DR: How on earth can I remove that burrow restriction for my civillians?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12463 on: June 17, 2011, 02:32:08 pm »

Did you enable it in the Military screen? Then just unselect the burrow, the same way you selected it.
Love, scriver~

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #12464 on: June 17, 2011, 02:32:19 pm »

How on earth can I remove that burrow restriction for my civillians?

Ok, I got it. just press enter on the restricted burrow for civillians in the alert screen again.
Pages: 1 ... 829 830 [831] 832 833 ... 1178