Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 827 828 [829] 830 831 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125455 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12420 on: June 16, 2011, 06:50:10 am »

Hey all, first time posting on the forums. Player new to the game, currently on 3rd fortress (first one was learning the game, quite a mess. second tried out danger rooms, considered it cheating/abuse and restarted as i wasnt 100% happy with fortress design and embark point anyway.)

A few questions regarding military:
My military units are constantly yellow/light orange in happyness for their long stationing/training. had the limit of 2 dwarves min on 6 man strong squads but it seems even if they arnt training the marking of every month as a training month seemed to affect their moods.
Im looking for the maximum amount of months in a year I can set them to train without negitively affecting their moods (with some kind of rotation in place between the units as to who is on "holiday") as well as to how this would be accomplished easiest? ie. can it be done in the training schedule screen or must i manually set their alert to inactive/training for each squad?

Also have heard about pump operation gyms to help boost the miliary might in off periods, is the skill increase as ludicris as danger rooms? would like to help them gain skill a little faster than barracks training alone but in a realistic/non game mechanic abusing way.

Thanks for any help!
I'm 99% certain that pump rooms are no longer viable gyms.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12421 on: June 16, 2011, 07:07:26 am »

Also have heard about pump operation gyms to help boost the miliary might in off periods, is the skill increase as ludicris as danger rooms? would like to help them gain skill a little faster than barracks training alone but in a realistic/non game mechanic abusing way.
I'm 99% certain that pump rooms are no longer viable gyms.

Pump operation never gave any skill in military matters, but being hard physical labor it would produce attribute gains for off-duty soldiers. I think attribute growth and decay are still present, but it's much less pronounced and abuseable than it was before DF2010, so these days it's really not worth the trouble. If you want your soldiers to gain military skills, your options are normal training in a barracks, live training dummies (stripped prisoners/training weapons), and danger room.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #12422 on: June 16, 2011, 07:40:45 am »

Ok, strange steel problems here:

There is no iron ore on this map, so I had the caravan bring me some iron, pig iron and steel bars. Now I'm trying to make steel out of those pig iron bars, but I'm stuck at issueing the command to do that. The smelter (non-magma) shows me the reaction in red, although i have all ingredients stockpiled. Is there a bug I missed about that?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12423 on: June 16, 2011, 07:43:18 am »

Ok, strange steel problems here:

There is no iron ore on this map, so I had the caravan bring me some iron, pig iron and steel bars. Now I'm trying to make steel out of those pig iron bars, but I'm stuck at issueing the command to do that. The smelter (non-magma) shows me the reaction in red, although i have all ingredients stockpiled. Is there a bug I missed about that?
Do you have any flux stone?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12424 on: June 16, 2011, 08:14:01 am »

I have some marble lying around, yes. Also it is marked as economic and I got no building projects atm which could have it tasked.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12425 on: June 16, 2011, 08:15:43 am »

Check your burrows.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12426 on: June 16, 2011, 09:29:03 am »

I have some marble lying around, yes. Also it is marked as economic and I got no building projects atm which could have it tasked.

Is it close to the smelter? Or if using burrow for it, within it? You may have to use manager order.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12427 on: June 16, 2011, 09:52:24 am »

use the manager for must jobs using steel ive noticed that they dont work some of he time if ordered at the workshop
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12428 on: June 16, 2011, 10:19:20 am »

Hey, I'm back with my pasture problems, sorry to bring it up again.

So I made a larger pasture, kept the small and the large one seperated and moves about 7 animals to the new big one.
However it's the same deal, the first thing they do is bunch up in one tile and start fighting. They're all sitting in one corner. Also it's the top right corner not the top left (as a malfunction in grazing behavior would suggest)

So there's definatly something riling these animals up causing them to group up and fight, but I can't figure it out.
I also can't stress enough I had a previous fortress with a lot more animals (the same animals infact) and never had  the same problems.

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12429 on: June 16, 2011, 10:31:19 am »

Hi all, I'm new here.
My little question:
I slaughtered an animal to get fat for tallow production but the kitchen still shows the render fat order in red. What could be wrong? The fat ( 8 ) is in a stone pot, if that matters.

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12430 on: June 16, 2011, 10:49:18 am »

So I made a larger pasture, kept the small and the large one seperated and moves about 7 animals to the new big one.
However it's the same deal, the first thing they do is bunch up in one tile and start fighting. They're all sitting in one corner. Also it's the top right corner not the top left (as a malfunction in grazing behavior would suggest)

So there's definatly something riling these animals up causing them to group up and fight, but I can't figure it out.
I also can't stress enough I had a previous fortress with a lot more animals (the same animals infact) and never had  the same problems.
I've had the same problem. I looked through the log to find out who was fighting and, in my case, a water buffalo bull was attacking other large animals (an alpaca and a mule). After I put the waterbuffalos in a separate pasture the fighting stopped. Maybe you could identify which race/animal is causing your problem the same way?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12431 on: June 16, 2011, 11:07:01 am »

I've had the same problem. I looked through the log to find out who was fighting and, in my case, a water buffalo bull was attacking other large animals (an alpaca and a mule). After I put the waterbuffalos in a separate pasture the fighting stopped. Maybe you could identify which race/animal is causing your problem the same way?

Interesting if true, as this would suggest that animal size is related to aggressiveness in a pasture. SCIENCE! is needed

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12432 on: June 16, 2011, 11:22:19 am »

I've noticed that every time I've pastured different animals together they all go and try to graze from the top left corner first. After that part's grazed they fan out and stop fighting.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12433 on: June 16, 2011, 11:25:11 am »

Adult males seem to get into fights more, and the larger animals tend to bully smaller ones. Separate pastures for the large animals seems to help
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12434 on: June 16, 2011, 11:40:21 am »

Ordering it in the manager worked, thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 827 828 [829] 830 831 ... 1178