Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117145 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1200 on: June 20, 2010, 02:27:39 am »

Heavenfall:

You can reduce your barrel usage considerably by cooking all your food at the kitchen, then making a food stockpile with only "prepared meals" allowed and allows no barrels. Then disable prepared meals on all other food stockpiles.

Poot: It's a known display issue. A rock sword uses a log and a rock. It has the cutting properties of the rock, but is named after the log.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: June 20, 2010, 05:04:46 am »

Also, in the (o)rders (F)orbid screen, you can choose options for what gets forbidden. Like spent ammunition, corpses, the things dropped by dead people, and suchlike. Or is the part about dropped items not applicable to the clothing of suddenly dead folk?

Ah, there we go, forbid your dead and forbid your death items in there, that should do it. Was thinking that forbid on the orders menu was just the forbid selector in select building / item properties so didn't check it, thanks very much.
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

heuristicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: June 20, 2010, 06:08:06 am »

Is there any way to stop my military dwarves from becoming unhappy due to being repeatedly taken off duty in the current version?

Since they only train when inactive (and therefore civilian) do I just have to deal with it?

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: June 20, 2010, 06:57:55 am »

Heavenfall:

You can reduce your barrel usage considerably by cooking all your food at the kitchen, then making a food stockpile with only "prepared meals" allowed and allows no barrels. Then disable prepared meals on all other food stockpiles.

Poot: It's a known display issue. A rock sword uses a log and a rock. It has the cutting properties of the rock, but is named after the log.

Followup question: Is there any way to make dwarves prefer prepared meals?
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: June 20, 2010, 08:03:30 am »

Followup question: Is there any way to make dwarves prefer prepared meals?

Make it a really good prepared meal?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: June 20, 2010, 08:09:52 am »

So there's no way to forcefeed them the good stuff to make them happy?

Ah... just had a dwarf fortress moment.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: June 20, 2010, 08:15:21 am »

If the meal includes ingredients they prefer, then it is my understanding that they will prefer that meal. I think that the quality of the meal also affects selection, but I could be wrong - it may only affect how happy they are that they ate it.

("so glad I didn't order the plump helmets, aren't you dear? The GCS Filet is delicious."
"oh, no Dodok, I ordered the horse cheese roast. I love horse cheese, but that roast was atrocious! The things they did with that horrible minced sewer brew! ugh!")
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

heuristicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: June 20, 2010, 09:15:08 am »

You could also use a burrow which has a food stockpile that only contains prepared meals, and restrict all your dwarves to that burrow.

Although, that causes the problem of dwarves not hauling stuff from your farms into the stockpile, since it's forbidden.  You'd also have to let the brewers/cooks access that pile as well.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1208 on: June 20, 2010, 09:39:26 am »

Is there any way to stop my military dwarves from becoming unhappy due to being repeatedly taken off duty in the current version?
They're only unhappy about being taken off duty if they have no civilian skills.  Take them off duty, enable mason and have them crank out enough stone blocks to gain a few levels in masonry, or something similar with another easy skill.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Roppa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: June 20, 2010, 09:41:20 am »

i am currently undergoing a siege and i swear all my dwarves just keep running outside, i have no warren to assing them to and they keep constantly drinking from the river when i have a well indoor. How can i tell the dwarves to just stay indoors?

I also have drangonfly remains blocking me from closing my door, how can i designate a dwarf to just move it?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 09:43:43 am by Roppa »

bertolini

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: June 20, 2010, 10:03:46 am »

How can I actually make use of a natural waterfall?  I don't really understand how I would go about building a mist bath for my dwarfs without drowning half the fort.

heuristicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: June 20, 2010, 10:21:15 am »

They're only unhappy about being taken off duty if they have no civilian skills.  Take them off duty, enable mason and have them crank out enough stone blocks to gain a few levels in masonry, or something similar with another easy skill.

I'm assuming it doesn't work if I just have hauling or something along those lines enabled?  Also, once they skill up a little, is it necessary to keep the labour active?  I usually set my militia to have no duties whatsoever.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: June 20, 2010, 10:34:02 am »

I'm assuming it doesn't work if I just have hauling or something along those lines enabled?  Also, once they skill up a little, is it necessary to keep the labour active?  I usually set my militia to have no duties whatsoever.
Hauling isn't a trainable skill.  You need it to be something that trains a skill.   Pump operation would be a good idea, build a bunch of pumps connected to nothing and have your military run them when off-duty.  Call them workout machines.  You only need to have them pump long enough to gain some skill, then you can deconstruct or just disable the pumps.

You don't need to keep the labor enabled.  You might have to worry about the skill rusting if they don't use it for a long time.  I have no idea how long that takes or if that effects them feeling bad when taken off duty.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: June 20, 2010, 11:19:05 am »

I've had a bronze collusus in a cage for years.

How do I kill him?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: June 20, 2010, 11:26:48 am »

Drop him in magma, or crush him in a cave-in.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 1178