Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 796 797 [798] 799 800 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116055 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11955 on: May 27, 2011, 05:33:32 pm »

I've never seen dwarves clean a wall.  However, if they clean a floor tile, the same job will automatically also clean all adjacent tiles, including walls.  So, if you want a wall to be cleaned, there will have to be a dirty underground floor tile next to it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

elvenspirit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11956 on: May 27, 2011, 05:43:50 pm »

Is there a method to creating suspended walls/floors? (as in do they collapse after a certain level of expansion or weight?)
Don't mind the name, i stopped using names i liked on forums a long time ago so people wouldn't steal them.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11957 on: May 27, 2011, 05:45:34 pm »

Dwarves will clean smoothed or constructed indoor floors naturally, though it is a very low priority.
To raise the priority, put a meeting place near where you want cleaned.

Thankyou, this worked a treat :)

Is there a method to creating suspended walls/floors? (as in do they collapse after a certain level of expansion or weight?)

Depends on what you mean by suspended. So long as it's attached to a solid wall/floor, it will stay there no matter what until that connection is severed.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

c-106mc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11958 on: May 27, 2011, 06:01:46 pm »

Another question. Can you quantum stockpile food without it going bad?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11959 on: May 27, 2011, 06:08:01 pm »

Another question. Can you quantum stockpile food without it going bad?

Yes, provided the quantum food pile is on a food stockpile.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

elvenspirit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11960 on: May 27, 2011, 06:19:26 pm »

Depends on what you mean by suspended. So long as it's attached to a solid wall/floor, it will stay there no matter what until that connection is severed.

So if i had a giant outdoor glass (lets say "goblin habitat") room built that the initial tile was connected starting from a single tile i could simply dig that one tile out and as a byproduct watch the whole thing collapse on the unfortunate siege outside? Bonus points for using it as a method to "offer" green glass to certain caravans that are normally quite picky?
Don't mind the name, i stopped using names i liked on forums a long time ago so people wouldn't steal them.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11961 on: May 27, 2011, 06:40:26 pm »

So if i had a giant outdoor glass (lets say "goblin habitat") room built that the initial tile was connected starting from a single tile i could simply dig that one tile out and as a byproduct watch the whole thing collapse on the unfortunate siege outside? Bonus points for using it as a method to "offer" green glass to certain caravans that are normally quite picky?

As I understand it, yes.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Lolzwheejars

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_EXOTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11962 on: May 28, 2011, 01:19:19 am »

I can't seem to get Bee Keeping going >.< I have a Hive, as well as natural hive inside my fort at the moment(And they are outside, no roof) I have an artificial hive next to the natural one and nothing is happening o.o No moving of colonies, no combs inside the hive, nothing. What am I doing wrong? D:

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11963 on: May 28, 2011, 02:01:10 am »

1. if I set a worn item to be dumped (an axe), will it be taken from the grip of the soldier by another dwarf and put into the dump pile. Solution otherwise to remove a worn item (not belonging to the dwarf)

2. worn clothes. Adding cabinet don't work well... How to dispose them, when they lie around?

3. Can cave-in occurs if I build a very large room without pillars?

4. How can I see the value of my dining room? Are non artifact trading goods placed in the room able to augment its value? Same question for a bedroom?

5. what condition the fact that a soldier switched to civilian retain or not his equipment?

6. What can I do with a fire clay soil? I can't engrave or smooth it, so how to embellish this floor?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 02:33:55 am by vorpal+5 »

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11964 on: May 28, 2011, 02:11:46 am »

I need some help again regarding container usage

How do I get the dwarves to dump all my stone craft into a Bin ?

they did it before but after I move the stockpile into my base, all my dwarven stone craft are occupying the finished goods stockpile

I even have a stockpile for Barrels, bags, bins etc near it. (all of them empty)

edit - I just read this

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21168.0

even after putting the global reserve to 0, no one seems to be dumping the craft into a bin.
I even got 9 dwarf idlers all set as hauling jobs.

Could use the help guys. my fortress is in a mess
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 02:39:38 am by AcESCAR »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11965 on: May 28, 2011, 03:26:58 am »

they did it before but after I move the stockpile into my base, all my dwarven stone craft are occupying the finished goods stockpile

I even have a stockpile for Barrels, bags, bins etc near it. (all of them empty)

edit - I just read this

even after putting the global reserve to 0, no one seems to be dumping the craft into a bin.

What exactly are you trying to do?

You moved the stockpile?  Did you check the barrel/bin stockpile min/max on the 'q' menu?

If you have a bunch of empty bins in a furniture stockpile and they aren't being used, check them to be sure you have not accidentally forbidden or dumped them.  If so, remove the forbid or dump tags.

Did you create a plain vanilla finished goods stockpile, or did you create a modified stockpile?  If modified, what modifications?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #11966 on: May 28, 2011, 03:31:45 am »

1. if I set a worn item to be dumped (an axe), will it be taken from the grip of the soldier by another dwarf and put into the dump pile. Solution otherwise to remove a worn item (not belonging to the dwarf)

2. worn clothes. Adding cabinet don't work well... How to dispose them, when they lie around?

4. How can I see the value of my dining room? Are non artifact trading goods placed in the room able to augment its value? Same question for a bedroom?

5. what condition the fact that a soldier switched to civilian retain or not his equipment?

6. What can I do with a fire clay soil? I can't engrave or smooth it, so how to embellish this floor?

1) The dwarf will most likely take it to the dump himself, or drop the item on the ground, and another dwarf will come pick it up. Assigning the dwarf to a (inactive) squad and assigning him a uniform to wear off-duty will make him/her wear the indicated clothes and forgo their original wardrobe.

2)Clothing is currently bugged, dwarfs will claim new clothes when their current clothes get worn but they will never wear them, instead just hoarding clothing in their rooms. Either hide the clothes or burn with lava, or assign dwarfs uniform early, before teh hoarding becomes a problem.

3) Nope. Cave-ins occur when a piece of land has nothing on the level under it and it is not connected a grounded piece of land with at least 1 tile on the same level. In other words, only floating pieces of land caves-in.

4) Yes all items in a room augment its value. If you assign the room to a dwarf and check the dwarf's status screen and it will give a ranking for how valuable the dwarf's room is. (Meager Office, Grand Office etc)

5) In the military screen, you can set the dwarf to keep wearing his uniform or to switch to civilian clothing when off duty.

6)Soil/sand cannot be smoothed in any way.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 03:34:48 am by Acperience »

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11967 on: May 28, 2011, 03:34:56 am »

Many thanks Acperience!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11968 on: May 28, 2011, 03:39:00 am »

1) Don't know

2) I think you need coffers?  Even then sometimes dwarves just don't pick up their stuff.  If you have an insane dwarf wandering around losing clothing bits, build them a tomb with a coffer and cabinet and bag and chest in it.  When they die, hopefully the rest of the dwarves will take all those items and bring them to the tomb and store them.

3) I've never seen a cave in caused by a room simply being large, though I rarely ever create single rooms more then 50x50 tiles.

4) I believe only size, engravings, and furniture will affect room value.  I don't think that even trade good type artifacts will - though they do affect the created wealth of your dwarves for.

5) If a soldier is completely removed from military duty, I don't think they will ever keep armor.  If they are in a squad but inactive, they should keep their uniform on.  That uniform can consist of armor over clothing, or armor without clothing under it.  You can also set their armor to actually BE clothing I think.  Many variables.

6) Fire Clay soil is collected like sand I think - create a area with the "i" key and then selecy the "clay" option.  Then you should be able to collect clay from that location.

Am tired and at work.  Please excuse any mistakes!
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11969 on: May 28, 2011, 03:43:45 am »

edit - I just read this

What exactly are you trying to do?

You moved the stockpile?  Did you check the barrel/bin stockpile min/max on the 'q' menu?

If you have a bunch of empty bins in a furniture stockpile and they aren't being used, check them to be sure you have not accidentally forbidden or dumped them.  If so, remove the forbid or dump tags.

Did you create a plain vanilla finished goods stockpile, or did you create a modified stockpile?  If modified, what modifications?

basically,

1.I move my craftworkshop inside the fortress
2.assign finished goods near it and furniture stockpile (modified to hold ONLY Bins, barrels, Bags,etc Containers basically)

3.Tell dwarf to make stone craft.
4.craft are dump into the finished goods pile one by one instead of using Bins

the thing is when my craft dwarf was outside my fortress, he fill up about 3 Bins worth of craft.

its after I move the workshop and stockpiles that this happen and I have tons of empty Bins,barrels and Pot.

I want the dwarf to use those empty Bins soo I dont have to put an extremely large amount of space to put stockpiles on
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 03:47:50 am by AcESCAR »
Pages: 1 ... 796 797 [798] 799 800 ... 1178