Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 795 796 [797] 798 799 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116044 times)

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11940 on: May 27, 2011, 01:48:09 pm »

found it, some idiot cavedweller left a fish in the cave, he wants to eat it but its not revealed yet : / (used map reveal tool and now he eats and walks again)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11941 on: May 27, 2011, 02:23:33 pm »

1. how can I use the ton of raw fish I have? It seems that even a simple meal needs to different raw food... I have a plentiful of fish, but not much of the rest. Can't I just cook the fish in an oven and voila?

2. Is it better to have you xbow dwarves in another squad than the meelee dorfs, so that they stay behind?

3. relative to 2, are xbow dwarves willing to back off some squares when the enemy approach, or not?

4. why the station mode is so approximate in its position? I remember in 40d it was very precise.

5. How can I destroy wooden weapons? Atom smashing bridge only? I would like to burn some training weapons made of wood in charcoal, possible?

6. the # of bolts specified for squad ammos, is it for each dorf or for the squad? I have a doubt!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 02:27:21 pm by vorpal+5 »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11942 on: May 27, 2011, 02:31:28 pm »

1. Raw fish is fish that has not yet been cleaned and gutted, not fish that is not cooked. To process the raw fish, you have to construct a fishery using a dwarf with the "fish cleaning" labour enabled. he will then automatically process your fish.

2. Combining ranged and Melee units in a single squad causes equipment to not work correctly. It is thus best to have separate squads.

3. Your archery dwarves, being a rather stupid lot, will not attempt to evade the enemy significant;y. Instead, they will endezvour to engage the enemy with the crossbows in their hands serving as clubs.

4. Too precise a statiion keeping order confuses the AI, so it is set looser.

5. Sell them.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11943 on: May 27, 2011, 02:43:53 pm »

1. how can I use the ton of raw fish I have? It seems that even a simple meal needs to different raw food... I have a plentiful of fish, but not much of the rest. Can't I just cook the fish in an oven and voila?

2. Is it better to have you xbow dwarves in another squad than the meelee dorfs, so that they stay behind?

3. relative to 2, are xbow dwarves willing to back off some squares when the enemy approach, or not?

4. why the station mode is so approximate in its position? I remember in 40d it was very precise.

5. How can I destroy wooden weapons? Atom smashing bridge only? I would like to burn some training weapons made of wood in charcoal, possible?

6. the # of bolts specified for squad ammos, is it for each dorf or for the squad? I have a doubt!

1. Raw fish needs to be prepared in a fishery by a dwarf with the "fish cleaning" labor enabled. This is analogous to "butchering" the fish.

2. Yes. Among other reasons, you want your Crossbow dwarves to spend their time training at the archery range, not in a speardwarf demonstration just because a squadmate has a spear. Also, see 3

3. Oh my stars, no. Crossbow dwarves will not retreat, and will in fact charge if they run out of bolts. If an enemy closes to melee, they just start meleeing with their crossbow as a bludgeoning weapon. (One of) the reasons you want your crossbow dwarves in their own squad is so that you can force them to retreat via squad deactivation.

4. *shrug* my guess is that it is designed to have bigger squads cluster in an area rather than have them all try to dogpile onto the same tile.

5. I'm PRETTY sure you can accomplish this by having your wooden weapons outside during a wildfire (you can start one through judicious application of magma.) If you just want to destroy them, atomsmashing is much easier and more efficient. Flaming weapons yield no benefit (although they do threaten your booze stockpile). I myself prefer to shove wooden weapons in random weapon traps scattered about the map.

6. This one, I do not know, and surprisingly the wiki is silent. If anybody knows the answer, I hope they'll put the information on there (or if it is there, point out the relevant article to me :P)

EDIT: NINJA!

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11944 on: May 27, 2011, 02:50:15 pm »

thank you the both of you.

So...

(6) is still not solved :)

and extra:

(7) how to force a dorf to resplenish in ammo? I guess changing his weapon (naked uniform) then re-enabling could work? Anything more convenient?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11945 on: May 27, 2011, 02:56:36 pm »

thank you the both of you.

So...

(6) is still not solved :)

and extra:

(7) how to force a dorf to resplenish in ammo? I guess changing his weapon (naked uniform) then re-enabling could work? Anything more convenient?

Dwarves should restock on ammo on their own. Unfortunately, a dwarf in combat is more likely to rush into melee and start bashing with his weapon than go back for a reload. This is one of the reasons that crossbowdwarves are most effective while defending a wall- they can be locked up there with an ammo stockpile, which they will reload from.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11946 on: May 27, 2011, 03:09:50 pm »

How do I assign war animals to military squads?

EDIT: Nevermind, got it :D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:41:14 pm by Chattox »
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11947 on: May 27, 2011, 03:35:02 pm »

Will dwarves refuse to destroy a building if it's too close to the edge of the map? I accidentally built a bridge with the wrong sort of orientation and now instead of forming an impassable wall it just forms an uncomfortably smallish passage.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11948 on: May 27, 2011, 03:38:25 pm »

No, there is no such limitation on deconstructing buildings.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11949 on: May 27, 2011, 03:40:10 pm »

If it's not for the whole squad, I've been doing it very, very wrong.  And I'd also be quite shocked, since that would mean the game would try to allocate about 2500 bolts per military squad, and 1000 for hunters -- and it does not do that, in my experience.

Is your experience telling you something different?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11950 on: May 27, 2011, 03:46:18 pm »

Thanks for the swift reply.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Butchery
« Reply #11951 on: May 27, 2011, 03:46:36 pm »

Butcher shops take corpses from refuse stockpiles.

Quote from: kardwill
Your kills may be in transfer. That's a common problem : The hunter brings the kill to the butchery, then a hauler takes it to the refuse stockpile

I do not use refuse stockpiles.  They cause issues like this, but they do not solve any issues other than "something other than a hunter killed an animal far away and I'd like it to be hauled without my intervention".  Which is admittedly a real issue, but not one that's frequent enough for me to tolerate all the other issues that refuse stockpiles cause.  When I need an animal carcass hauled, I'll just mark it for dumping, same way I do with anything else I want hauled to a specific place.

If you do not create any refuse stockpiles, then when your hunter kills something, he will drag it to a butcher's shop and leave it inside the shop (use the (t) not (q) key to see it).  The "Butcher Animal" job will be generated, so a butcher just has to show up and the work's already there waiting for her.  Just make sure all your butcher shops (if you have more than one) are relatively close together, because if they're spread apart, the hunter will probably not choose the one you'd like him to.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11952 on: May 27, 2011, 05:18:32 pm »

Is there any way to clean blood off the walls/floor without flooding rooms with water? I have blood in a bunch of places and getting water to them would mean digging around and compromising my security. Is there any way around this? I know dwarves have a skill specially for cleaning stuff off walls and floors but I can't seem to entice them into using it.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11953 on: May 27, 2011, 05:20:59 pm »

Set some Plump Helmet Men on fire and let them wander through that area.  They'll burn the blood off the walls as they pass.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11954 on: May 27, 2011, 05:24:26 pm »

Dwarves will clean smoothed or constructed indoor floors naturally, though it is a very low priority.
To raise the priority, put a meeting place near where you want cleaned.
Pages: 1 ... 795 796 [797] 798 799 ... 1178