Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117140 times)

Bac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1185 on: June 19, 2010, 12:35:13 pm »

I checked with another fortress I had running ... "Outdoor" farms with no hole left in the roof are considered "above ground" (that's what you need for farms), "inside" and indeed "light". I'll go for the windows tho, just because it makes more sense. Thank you! And another question related to the same structure, will the windows above add to the value of the room below?

BlackRogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: June 19, 2010, 01:00:08 pm »

If they are a level above I don't think so, but I don't know enough about the game to say for sure. I don't even know if there is a way to directly check the value of a room.

RageQuit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: June 19, 2010, 02:21:36 pm »

I have a couple questions...

where do I find potatoash? It says I need potatoash to plant my seeds, and I have no idea where to get potatos, let alone potatoash.
 The other question I have, is how do I dig deeper below ground? I have seen people go to different floors in a mine and I have no idea how to dig there, I only know how to mine on the ground level it starts you on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: June 19, 2010, 02:22:46 pm »

lol, thats potash, not potatoash. As for the potash, don't worry about it since its not needed when you start out. Its only needed when you want to fertilize your fields.

For digging, go to the d screen and press the letter for one of the stairs and designate that. First do a down stairway and below that put an up stairway or an up/down stairway below that.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 02:42:36 pm by smjjames »

raledon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: June 19, 2010, 04:56:11 pm »

I have a problem with my hunters not hunting.. they got their "hunt" checked, and should have enough ammo (or so I believe, they don't bother telling me), but they seem to refuse going to hunt animals. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: June 19, 2010, 05:17:11 pm »

If they are a level above I don't think so, but I don't know enough about the game to say for sure. I don't even know if there is a way to directly check the value of a room.
If the economies started and you put a bed there it should be pretty simple. Make it a bedroom and check the rent.

You will have to remove any other rooms in the test room (ie: make the dining room a "free table" before you add the bedroom) so you get the value for a room that doesn't have to share, but it should work.

BlackRogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: June 19, 2010, 06:24:46 pm »

No economy yet but I'll keep it in mind.

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: June 19, 2010, 06:51:13 pm »

My dwarves are running outside to pick up bodies / clothing of recently killed brethren only to get killed by goblins themselves, in the old version I you can just stop them from going outside in the orders menu, that has been removed now, so what am I supposed to do to stop them getting slaughtered? I can still order them to leave bodies alone, but not clothing without forbiding it as it drops. Halp plz :(

EDIT - Oh, and while I'm here, what's the deal with butchery now? Can't order from the workshop to have all my stray kitties killed...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 06:54:23 pm by toker606 »
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

BlackRogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: June 19, 2010, 06:59:50 pm »

Under the stocks menu, in animals, mark them to be butchered. The rest will take care of itself.

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: June 19, 2010, 07:03:35 pm »

Under the stocks menu, in animals, mark them to be butchered. The rest will take care of itself.

Ah, beautiful, I think you may have just solved another half dozen questions I had at the same time, I forgot about the stocks menu.
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

BlackRogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: June 19, 2010, 08:03:04 pm »

Glad to be of help.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: June 19, 2010, 08:54:46 pm »

My dwarves are running outside to pick up bodies / clothing of recently killed brethren only to get killed by goblins themselves, in the old version I you can just stop them from going outside in the orders menu, that has been removed now, so what am I supposed to do to stop them getting slaughtered? I can still order them to leave bodies alone, but not clothing without forbiding it as it drops. Halp plz :(

Well, there's the Warrens system. set up a warren, and then in times of emergency assign all/some of your dwarves to it. Like the old "inside" command, but it is dwarf-specific.

Also, in the (o)rders (F)orbid screen, you can choose options for what gets forbidden. Like spent ammunition, corpses, the things dropped by dead people, and suchlike. Or is the part about dropped items not applicable to the clothing of suddenly dead folk?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: June 19, 2010, 11:06:59 pm »

Back on the subject of the Tigerman I acquired earlier. About a month after acquiring it, the Tigerman died of thirst. Yes, I made sure to release the Tigerman from its cage. It spent its time in the meeting hall. I had 2 wells and plenty of booze available, so I'm not quite sure why the Tigerman died of thirst. Anyone know more about the nature of Tigermen and why such a thing would happen?
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

raledon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: June 20, 2010, 01:15:37 am »

Back on the subject of the Tigerman I acquired earlier. About a month after acquiring it, the Tigerman died of thirst. Yes, I made sure to release the Tigerman from its cage. It spent its time in the meeting hall. I had 2 wells and plenty of booze available, so I'm not quite sure why the Tigerman died of thirst. Anyone know more about the nature of Tigermen and why such a thing would happen?

I'm not really sure since I didn't manage to tame animals myself, but maybe you didn't have a dwarf with the animal caretaker assignment?

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: June 20, 2010, 02:24:16 am »

One thing that's been happening recently: I've been ordering my dwarves to make obsidian short swords, but they make training swords instead. I've been specifically ordering them to make "rock sword" but the dummies are making the aforementioned.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:28:27 am by Poot »
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 1178