Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 788 789 [790] 791 792 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115884 times)

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11835 on: May 24, 2011, 12:28:26 am »

Also, I deconstructed some wooden planks which were above water and which collapsed onto an underwater room, the roof held except in 3 places. The roof is gone, with water above it but the room isn't flooding, and the floor under said hole is now showing up as "Unknown"..... i've broken the universe.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think this requires more careful consideration.  Has anyone seen "Unknown" tiles before?  I didn't know Dwarf Fortress had that capability.  If it's some sort of "default" tile or something, it's not on the wiki.

--Rexfelum

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11836 on: May 24, 2011, 12:35:52 am »

This might be a dumb question, but are you still able to get other nobles (barons, counts, dukes...) after the arrival of a monarch?

Reason is I got a queen to arrive before I got any other non-elected nobles.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11837 on: May 24, 2011, 02:04:44 am »

My legendary engraver seems to have the blood loss status, how do i go about getting the chief medical officer to check him out? (i zoned out a 4 tile hospital in a small bedroom :S)

Edit: He's walking around and nobody has tried to rescue him or anything... So is it minor? He has moderate blood loss and i kinda panicked when i saw my engraver bleeding all over the place.

Make sure your CMO doesn't have a bunch of other things to do.  You chief medical officer needs to pretty much have no other regular jobs.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11838 on: May 24, 2011, 02:06:39 am »

*already answered*
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 02:10:21 am by Farmerbob »
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11839 on: May 24, 2011, 02:08:14 am »

*already answered*
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 02:10:40 am by Farmerbob »

El Payaso Malo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11840 on: May 24, 2011, 05:03:58 am »

I've never had a problem with it before, but I cannot for the life of get any dwarves to build any up or up/down stairs to connect to the down stairs just built. I've done it before, but now it just isn't working. I build the downstairs, then I try to build the down/up stairs underneath it, but it says that it's blocked.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 05:37:08 am by El Payaso Malo »

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11841 on: May 24, 2011, 06:02:28 am »

I've never had a problem with it before, but I cannot for the life of get any dwarves to build any up or up/down stairs to connect to the down stairs just built. I've done it before, but now it just isn't working. I build the downstairs, then I try to build the down/up stairs underneath it, but it says that it's blocked.
Is it underground? Is there another building already, like a built floor?
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11842 on: May 24, 2011, 06:08:53 am »

Possessed metalsmith - actually a useful, productive member of the fortress.

She wants a huge list, but I've got a type of everything she's asking for.  The only issue I can see is if she wants a certain type of rock block - her favourite is conglomerate, and I'm way out of that.  Any ideas, or does the odd dwarf get 'stuck'?

Edit; turned out it was just bone she needed, but shows that things aren't always required in the order they say them.  but anyway;

Possibly the most useless artifact? Well, someone can use it, but will my mayor get jealous of them?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 06:43:42 am by Pukako »

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

El Payaso Malo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11843 on: May 24, 2011, 06:12:17 am »

Yes, it is underground. Nothing else in the way except stuff that needs to be mined.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11844 on: May 24, 2011, 06:18:35 am »

Yes, it is underground. Nothing else in the way except stuff that needs to be mined.
You can hardly build anything if there's ground in the way. Either (d)esignate an up or up/down stair to be mined, or channel the ground and build the stair in the hole (why would anyone want to do that?...).
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

El Payaso Malo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11845 on: May 24, 2011, 06:20:35 am »

I cannot do that. No Dwarf can get to the spot to perform those actions. I used to build a down stair, then an upstair underneath it. Now, it says I can't build the upstair because it's blocked.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11846 on: May 24, 2011, 06:59:03 am »

I cannot do that. No Dwarf can get to the spot to perform those actions. I used to build a down stair, then an upstair underneath it. Now, it says I can't build the upstair because it's blocked.
Dwarf Fortress is (arguably) all about digging your mountainhome underground, by opposition of building it from building material.

You CAN designate an up stair to be mined out under a down stair, as long as there's undug natural ground on that spot.

Or I don't understand your question and you will have to explain the situation better.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11847 on: May 24, 2011, 07:00:57 am »

I read somewhere that the material for bolts, as long as they are metal, doesn't matter much. Is this true? Because in that case I'll make most my bolts out of copper instead of precious steel.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11848 on: May 24, 2011, 07:05:38 am »

Now, it says I can't build the upstair because it's blocked.

If by this you mean that the target tile reads as "Blocked," then there's something in that tile that prevents the construction. Loo(k) at that tile and see what it is. Is there a building there? Is there already another construction (like a floor)? Is the tile submerged in more than 1/7 of water?

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11849 on: May 24, 2011, 07:25:38 am »

I read somewhere that the material for bolts, as long as they are metal, doesn't matter much. Is this true? Because in that case I'll make most my bolts out of copper instead of precious steel.
Even bone bolts are ok. Copper will be fairly good.
Pages: 1 ... 788 789 [790] 791 792 ... 1178