Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116093 times)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11700 on: May 19, 2011, 08:02:28 pm »

Angry Elf Ghosts are a real possibility if you have evil squares in your embark.  Otherwise no.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

jiggyjam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11701 on: May 19, 2011, 08:20:52 pm »

Another little question:

Random dwarfs keep wandering into my danger room to drink when I have a perfectly good dining room just down the hall. What the hell?

Jox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11702 on: May 19, 2011, 08:24:23 pm »

I was wondering if there was a world seed that generates lots of deserts? If so what is it?

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #11703 on: May 19, 2011, 09:25:07 pm »

Do kobolds still starve in worldgen? I've been putting no eat/drink on them, but I wonder if that's actually necessary.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11704 on: May 19, 2011, 09:49:13 pm »

I was wondering if there was a world seed that generates lots of deserts? If so what is it?
I had some people ask for this world map, so you could grab it by scrolling down to the bottom here and copy/pasting, although it won't look exactly the same unless you gen in .06 (and you'll need to add in metal scarcity and night creature parameters, unless you're fine with the default).

Alternatively, you could look here, here, or, (and this is my personal recommendation), make your own by going into "advanc(e)d world gen parameters" and making the max/min temperature higher and rainfall and drainage lower.  Remember to adjust the rejection parameters (towards the bottom, things like "max forest tiles" etc).

Scheming Koala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11705 on: May 19, 2011, 10:23:43 pm »

Do kobolds still starve in worldgen? I've been putting no eat/drink on them, but I wonder if that's actually necessary.
I Think they Still do, I never see them unless I add the [NO_EAT][NO_DRINK] tags to them then they start to appear for me

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11706 on: May 19, 2011, 10:37:54 pm »

Random dwarfs keep wandering into my danger room to drink when I have a perfectly good dining room just down the hall. What the hell?

Dining halls have nothing to do with drinking. Dwarves drink by walking to a drink and drinking it, right there (watch one). They only go to tables and chairs and dining halls to eat.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11707 on: May 20, 2011, 01:05:53 am »

how do I put dwarves in coffins rather than have them decay in random bits on my tomb floor? I have 10 coffins and 2 slain dwarfs. how do I fix that?
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11708 on: May 20, 2011, 01:16:51 am »

Pet's corpse has just been lying there for months and doesn't want to be dumped with the other corpses apparently. What now?

Sortofnecro, sorry if it was answered.  This thread moves fast.

Build a coffin in mason shop, and then build the coffin in a communal burial chamber somewhere.  When you use Q key and look at the building options, you can set the coffin for burial.  The default is to allow it for burial of both dwarves and pets.

Burial has a higher priority than refuse storage I believe.

Your dwarf who's pet that was, if still alive, will be happier with their pet in a coffin.

I do NOT know if pets can create ghosts.  If the corpse is destroyed, might need to look into whether a slab can be etched with a pet name.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11709 on: May 20, 2011, 02:44:30 am »

Are there any Threrapist/DFHack style apps that let me properly assign inventory to the millitary? I've got 5 Candy-ite suits of armour but i can't get all my leaders to don all the right bits, and using specific-item is a pain in the ass becasue it doesnt show what is currently being worn / assigned.
m,e,P shows what they currently wear. Seems best gear goes to first #1 dorf in squad and #10 gets last pick.

Ive noticed that once a lower ranking dork has equipment, its not always re-assigned i.e: Urilst McGeneral has a Uniform of Candy assigned to him, Urist McPrivate has a metal uniform. Because Candy is metal the Private can grab it, but wont swap it in favour of giving the more specific item to the General.

I know i can manually create a Copper/Iron/Steel uniform instead of using generic metal but i was wondering if there was a utility for helping assigning equipment, including specifc weapons etc etc.

Arming rooms.  Put your high rankers or anyone who picked up something they shouldn't have in a military unit without armor, so they drop their armor.

Then move the armor into a small room where there is a special burrow.  Allow the dwarf you want to use that armor to go to the burrow, then lock the door, and assign them to a squad with armor.

They should pick up that armor and only that armor, since it's all they can reach.

This might require futzing around with setting a lot of dwarves to not use armor before nobody immediately picks up the armor that you want your high ranking dwarves to use.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11710 on: May 20, 2011, 03:38:46 am »

If I have a lowered bridge covering only the space directly above a ramp will creatures be able to use the ramp?

If you meant the bridge covers the ramp - no, if you mean the bridge is right next to the top of the ramp tile - no. A ramp can only give access to a floor that has a wall under it (wall on same level as ramp is on).

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11711 on: May 20, 2011, 06:35:19 am »

Gah, LITTLE ANIMAL MAKE ME ANGRY!!!
Rabbits, WHY do the hunters hunt them if the butcher CAN'T Butcher them???

If I change the Body size of the Rabbit in the raws to that of a Chicken, will I need to regen to see the changes in that???

I read somewhere that the Rabbit Corpses don't rot away, does that still hold true???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11712 on: May 20, 2011, 10:06:24 am »

My militia commander who is now the mayor likes Slaves does this exist and how do i get them?
You don't.  Other races (notably Goblins) enslave others.
Then how did a Dwarf come to like it?

Maybe a prisoner would do?  put a caged goblin in their room?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:09:00 am by Farmerbob »

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11713 on: May 20, 2011, 10:48:07 am »

how to remove all these socks lying around? I thought DF2010 fixed this issue? They can't be dump, the owner don't move them either...

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11714 on: May 20, 2011, 10:54:22 am »

Put a cabinet in the offending dwarf's room, and they'll stow them away when they have time.
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 1178