Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116667 times)

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1110 on: June 15, 2010, 02:07:53 pm »

So long as you have one log you can move onto the coal now.

Each unit of coal takes 1 unit of fuel to refine into coke, producing 3 units of fuel for a gain of 2 each time. The first unit of fuel probably needs to be charcoal from a log, but after that you can use the coke refined from coal itself to produce more.

So basically just get one log, use it for the first unit of coal and then use the products from that to make more and more and more and more and more and more and more...

Ah, that's much more tolerable than I was imagining. Thanks!

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #1111 on: June 15, 2010, 02:11:39 pm »

I caught a wild fox in one of my cage traps, and I want to bring it into the cage I've got in my fort in a room built specifically for containing animals to be killed, tamed, or pitted against each other. However, all when a dwarf goes over to transfer it to the new cage, it's interrupted by that fox before it can even open the trap. How do I move the thing?

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: June 15, 2010, 03:15:40 pm »

Your military will only function if:

1. You create the squad
2. (Personal choice, here) You go to SUPPLIES and tell them they don't need to bring water or food with them, else they'll faff about for years looking for waterskins and backpacks.
3. You assign the squad a uniform that has a weapon choice with it.
4. You go into the squad's schedule and CLEAR IT ENTIRELY.
5. You designate an area for training (done from armor rack/weapon rack)
6. You designate an area for Individual Equipment and Squad Equipment (usually where your weapon/armor stockpiles are).

Your squad of X dwarves will stay in civilian mode, but spend their timing training in a 'Perform Individual Combat Drill' 24/7. To get them into combat mode, you just have to go S -> (a, or squad's actual letter) -> m and then select an area near the enemy. They'll immediately transform into their uniforms and charge over with whatever weapon they're drilling with (which is usually with a preference towards their actual skillset; but oftentimes they'll take what they can get).

I've done this, too the letter, and my squad has spent the last 2 seasons in the dining room, completely idle.

I have a barracks with a stand and rack, set to be the training room (with weapon and armour stockpiles) and the Individual and Squad equipment room, and set it to be used by the squad. I have the schedule 100% empty, the squad set to inactive, the uniform set to leather and maces (because I have some maces)... I have them set to carry no water or food (I don't have waterskins or backpacks anyway...)...

Not sure what I am doing wrong :(

:EDIT:

Never mind, three seasons in one has started their first combat drill!

Strange thing, is that even though they have all jobs turned to off, they would still leave the dining hall to harvest food from the farms!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:21:56 pm by Louist »

Vimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: June 15, 2010, 03:20:50 pm »

I have a question. Why does the ceiling of the Arena keep collapsing at random? I'm in the sky, looking down on a battle and WHAM, 12 million tons of precious metal ore and gems hurtles out of the sky and mashes everything flat.

EDIT: It only happens after a battle when I spawn a new combatant and take direct control for a second time, then I can move exactly one square and, splatsville.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:28:02 pm by Vimes »

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: June 15, 2010, 04:40:17 pm »

How come the typo in the description for deer still hasn't been fixed?

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: June 15, 2010, 05:07:46 pm »

I've given one of my peasants orders only for feeding patients, but my wounded miner is still starving and dying of thirst!

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: June 15, 2010, 05:39:11 pm »

At least you have peasants. 87 dwarfs and no peasant immigrants
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: June 15, 2010, 05:54:50 pm »

At least you have peasants. 87 dwarfs and no peasant immigrants

I just turn everyone with skills I don't need or use right now into a peasant! I've got some weaver peasants, a soap maker peasant, etc etc.

Still, no one else having this problem?

RabidRabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: June 15, 2010, 06:43:21 pm »

[...] but everything combat-related is bugged atm.

i saw that as all my soldiers ran away from the dragon instead of following the order and attack him

That actually could've worked :P.  To attack something, tell your dwarves to move near it instead, and they'll auto-acquire targets and attack them.  The actual attack command works most of the time for me, but seems to fail consistently against big scary things like titans.

I've given one of my peasants orders only for feeding patients, but my wounded miner is still starving and dying of thirst!

From what I can tell, patient care is VERY low-priority.  If there's a plant to be harvested or an item to be put into a bin/bag, your dwarf will go do that instead of hauling your wounded to the hospital or caring for them, and your medics will do those things instead of diagnosing patients.

...or you could just be missing a bucket, or it took too long for your dwarf to fetch food/water and carry it to whoever needed it.

One last thing - it seems that my military dwarfs that insist on having "No Job" instead of "Individual Combat Drill" all have the "would not do any more work than necessary" line in their descriptions.  Anyone else seeing this correlation?

WieselTrupp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: June 16, 2010, 07:57:32 am »

[...]One last thing - it seems that my military dwarfs that insist on having "No Job" instead of "Individual Combat Drill" all have the "would not do any more work than necessary" line in their descriptions.  Anyone else seeing this correlation?

ist it so that only hard-working dwarfs use their spare time(inactive / empty shedule) for individual training?
so, if he is lazy you whont see him in his barracks.

Mentioning the bugged attack option, i knew they would(or SHOULD) attack him anyway if he comes near and he WAS on the way but since it was a dragon and dragon tend to toast their surroundings i preffered to go with the "attack" option.
next time i know it better^^

since my df game crashed: i think i lost about a year or so, will the dragon come again? i would like to build some dragonbone stuff or soemthing like that out of him so urist dwarvenheimer got some storys for his children.

to the peasants:
for 40D the wiki says that peasants would attack wild creatures to buy some time for the valuable dwarfs, is this still handled like that?

EDIT
nope, the dragon seems to lazy to show himself so he sent his friend, the hydra o.O

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:26:34 am by WieselTrupp »

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: June 16, 2010, 10:38:11 am »

How come the typo in the description for deer still hasn't been fixed?
Because there are currently over 1000 open bugs in the bug tracker and almost all of them are more important than a minor typo?
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: June 16, 2010, 10:43:29 am »

From the bug tracker, looks like this one is fixed in the next release

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: June 16, 2010, 10:44:55 am »

One last thing - it seems that my military dwarfs that insist on having "No Job" instead of "Individual Combat Drill" all have the "would not do any more work than necessary" line in their descriptions.  Anyone else seeing this correlation?

Yep.  Anyone with the procrastination trait won't do individual combat drill, so they're useless in the current military setup

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: June 16, 2010, 11:48:56 am »

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but I just want to make sure; is there any way to create artificial ground? Like, say, converting a constructed floor tile into a tile that allows grass and plants to grow on it?

Also for some reason it doesn't look like any of my stockpiles are using barrels or bins for storage (example: store food in barrels, bars in bins, etc.) In all of my old forts they did this automatically, but now they don't for some reason. Anyone know how to get them to use storage containers?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 12:49:33 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 16, 2010, 12:29:27 pm »

how can you tell from the raws if a creature needs to eat and drink? I caged a bunch of foul blendecs and they started dying of thirst in my stockpile. I would like to be able to keep them with the rest of my zoo.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 1178