Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 734 735 [736] 737 738 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120287 times)

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11025 on: April 25, 2011, 04:40:10 am »

I just discovered my first cavern. :o It had nothing much in it but a gorlak (which the wiki says is harmless) and fungiwood/towercaps. I looked them up on the wiki and it says these are the famed underground trees ive head of. How do you plant them? also, should I worry about forgotten beasts?
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #11026 on: April 25, 2011, 05:04:47 am »

I just discovered my first cavern. :o It had nothing much in it but a gorlak (which the wiki says is harmless) and fungiwood/towercaps. I looked them up on the wiki and it says these are the famed underground trees ive head of. How do you plant them? also, should I worry about forgotten beasts?
You cannot plant them, they grow by themselves. And there's not much special about them except nice colors (e.g. my white hospital beds are made of towercaps).
As for the FBs, you can (and probably should if you don't have descent military yet) just wall off the cavern. Put a wall and a raising bridge for example (it acts as a wall when it's raised). Don't rely on doors - the very first troll in your caverns will gladly smash it to pieces. And don't forget about flyers - they can reach across z-levels, even diagonally. If you do it right, not even the nastiest flying fire-breathing death-spitting FB will be able to reach you (though most of them aren't much of a threat really).

Fahgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11027 on: April 25, 2011, 05:12:09 am »

I've got a queen with no listed likes or preferences. does that mean i've been very lucky and now have a noble that's not going to ask for anything? does that mean i just wasted a legendary miner making a suicide booth for her when she isnt going to be asking for slade earings?

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #11028 on: April 25, 2011, 05:15:39 am »

And btw is there a 100%-reliable way to postpone the meeting with the outpost liaison?
For some reason the don't-get-a-barony-until-caravan-leaves bug is still present in .25. I'm trying to get a barony in the first year but tjis stupid diplomat is running just after my expedition leader/broker and I can't lock him up separately.
I've got a queen with no listed likes or preferences. does that mean i've been very lucky and now have a noble that's not going to ask for anything? does that mean i just wasted a legendary miner making a suicide booth for her when she isnt going to be asking for slade earings?
It's a bug - currently monarchs don't have preferences and don't make demands.
So no, she's not going to ask for chicken tooth cabinets ))
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 05:18:49 am by Mechlin »

Fahgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11029 on: April 25, 2011, 05:48:24 am »

And btw is there a 100%-reliable way to postpone the meeting with the outpost liaison?
For some reason the don't-get-a-barony-until-caravan-leaves bug is still present in .25. I'm trying to get a barony in the first year but tjis stupid diplomat is running just after my expedition leader/broker and I can't lock him up separately.
aside from dumping some food and drink in the expedition leaders room, limiting him/her to a burrow in said room and locking the door with the liaison on the out side. can be tricky if the liaison is fast on his feet. managed it with one of my previous forts. didnt get the bug this time round though.

It's a bug - currently monarchs don't have preferences and don't make demands.
So no, she's not going to ask for chicken tooth cabinets ))
Excellent. i just have to deal with my window and sock obsessed duke and a mayor who wont let me export lead, the only metal (other than silver) i have available that isnt imported.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11030 on: April 25, 2011, 05:48:39 am »

How about a pit with a couple of hatches, pressure-plate linked, but set to citizens :-
Code: [Select]
####
 HHP
####

put it out of the way, then when ready, send you exp, leader on a 1-way trip over the hatches, which will open instantly, dropping said Liason into a storage pit (or cage traps). Use the fast little buggers speed against him. Maybe 3 hatches depending on the gap.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 05:53:39 am by Reelyanoob »

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #11031 on: April 25, 2011, 06:01:38 am »

How about a pit with a couple of hatches, pressure-plate linked, but set to citizens :-
####
 HHP
####

put it out of the way, then when ready, send you exp, leader on a 1-way trip over the hatches, which will open instantly, dropping said Liason into a storage pit (or cage traps). Use the fast little buggers speed against him. Maybe 3 hatches depending on the gap.
Wow, thanks. Simple and elegant (I wish I could see the diplomat's face at the very moment  :P)

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11032 on: April 25, 2011, 06:59:16 am »

How do I make crossbows actually work?

Well, more details about the problem might help...

For starters, make sure the hunters/whatever have not only the crossbow, but ammo and a quiver as well. (And make sure they have unforbidden ammo - by default ammo they shoot and that doesn't break is forbidden, so you have to re-claim it before someone can use it again.)
Mainly I just need to know where to assign quivers from so they actually carry ammunition. I assign ammunition and stuff, bone bolts have the "T" next to them and  Bronze has the "C" next to them, but I can't assign quivers. Anybody know how?

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11033 on: April 25, 2011, 07:03:47 am »

I just have the quivers around and they pick them up, have never needed to tell them to. Make some more, see if it helps.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11034 on: April 25, 2011, 07:05:44 am »

I just have the quivers around and they pick them up, have never needed to tell them to. Make some more, see if it helps.
They carry around quivers, just empty ones though. D:

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11035 on: April 25, 2011, 07:25:21 am »

okay...so, is there a way to forbid dwarves from leaving my fort from my main entrance? mostly for sieges, cuz my fort's front is kinda like this

entrance
walled off above ground farm       dodge me trap

so, can i forbid them from leaving my fort, without actually making there no way to leave? i wanna know so i wont really have to worry about sieges/ambushes killing civvies that decided to leave the fort

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11036 on: April 25, 2011, 07:35:32 am »

They carry around quivers, just empty ones though. D:

Your bolts are the problem then, not the quivers at all. Re-check the assign ammo option in the military menus.

Bolts should have "CT" next to them like that. C = use in combat, T = use in training. The selected bolts should have BOTH letters.

The correct sequence to equip bolts is this :-

"m" for military screen
"f" for ammunition screen
"Down Key"s (pick your archer squad)
"c" add item
"Enter" to select Bolts on the right hand side of the screen.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 07:37:07 am by Reelyanoob »

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11037 on: April 25, 2011, 07:42:45 am »

In 31.25, ammo type selection works much better.  You can now use bone/wood for training and metal for combat.  I generally do:

bolts (metal) x250 - combat
bolts (wood) x100 - training
bolts (bone) x100 - training

But I also make sure that any stockpile that allows bolts only allows "metal", "wood" or "bone" with no mixing of material types within a single stockpile.  Hunters then get restricted to bone or wood bolts in the military ammo screen.  Bins seem to work just fine now too, as long as the material type isn't mixed.

500 bone bolts, 500 wood bolts and 1000 metal bolts is about the minimum quantities to keep 10 marksdwarves happy and training.  So if you don't have that many of each, make more bolts.  In larger forts, I make sure that the ammunition total (across all types) stays above 3000 units at all times.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11038 on: April 25, 2011, 08:04:59 am »

Silver makes GREAT hammers :), and crossbows too

People keep saying this for some reason, but in an unmodified game, you cannot make silver crossbows.  The game does not permit it.  You can make silver war hammers and silver bolts.

and the dwarves have Iron + Steel to sell.

Your dwarven civ will always have steel available.  But it may not always have iron.  This is random.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11039 on: April 25, 2011, 08:15:01 am »

For some reason the don't-get-a-barony-until-caravan-leaves bug is still present in .25.

Nobody else is seeing that bug in .25.  Why do you think that the behavior you're seeing is caused by a bug that has already been fixed?  It would be much more reasonable to look for other causes.

I'm trying to get a barony in the first year

Well, let's look at the requirements:

20 population
100k created wealth
10k exported wealth

The second one is the only one you can directly control.  Let's assume you manage to make 100k worth of stuff in the first week.  This causes (relatively) huge migrant waves to come to you in summer and autumn, and you manage to hit 20 population before the autumn caravan (and liaison) arrives.

But now what?  You've got 0 exported wealth.  So when you talk to the liaison, you are not eligible to become a barony.

You are therefore delaying the meeting with the liaison not because of an old bug that's already been fixed, but because you are trying to delay the tallying of your exported wealth.  The caravan has to leave the map with your exported goods in order for them to be counted as exported wealth.  Therefore you have to delay the meeting with the liaison until this accounting tidbit has been registered.  This is not a bug.  This is simply the only way to meet your stated goal.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 734 735 [736] 737 738 ... 1178