Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120250 times)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10995 on: April 24, 2011, 03:19:25 am »

I'm trying to embark but for some reason there's no iron anvil. There is a steel anvil though. Any reason why?
Is an iron anvil already selected? You start out with an iron anvil already chosen.

If your civ has iron, then you start with an iron anvil (100 points), but if not, then you start with a steel anvil (300 points).  Those 200 points can make a huge difference in what you have to sacrifice.

...how do they get steel if they don't have iron?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10996 on: April 24, 2011, 03:31:09 am »

When the game checks to see if a civ has an alloy or other reaction-produced material, it does not check to see if it has access to the necessary ingredients at present. It merely checks to see if the needed reaction is civ-legal. This is an obvious placeholder until things start being tacked more accurately.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10997 on: April 24, 2011, 06:43:36 am »

...how do they get steel if they don't have iron?
Because they have the reaction to make steel but the game doesn't check if the reagents are available. Same for the alloys, plus pig iron, since they're all made via reaction instead of being smelted from available ore stone.

Flavourwise, maybe they turn it all into steel, although this doesn't explain why pig iron is available. Maybe they're short of carbon as well.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #10998 on: April 24, 2011, 11:21:59 am »

My dwarves are depressed/enraged by long patrol duty. They're set to train for three months, then nothing for one month, then another three months of training. However, when I let them go, they get angry at NOT being on patrol. What do?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10999 on: April 24, 2011, 12:21:55 pm »

Some simple noob questions:
1. How to make civilian dwarves wear armor, or at least cloaks? I do removed CLOTHING and SUBTERRANEAN CLOTHING tags for the sake of inevitable fps hit. Also I made ARMORLEVEL:1 for one and every clothing, to further restrict dwarves from wearing it.

2. How to gather clay effectively? Currently one job from one workshop produces only one clay (and the dwarf is taking it out really slow). Creating multiple workshops helps, but the speed of collection is awfully slow. What skill improves the collection time?

3. Idlers:22. Yes, that much (for a noob). I've no idea where to put them in use. I'm running multiple magma smelters already (for military), but I have no flux (or it is too deep for me), so no steel. Food and drinks seems to be ok (in counts about 400-500 each, variety of drinks is about 60-150 each).

4. Regarding previous question. I've made several (30) large serrated copper disks (of varying quality, but many of them superior and exceptional) for (planned) trap corridor and that alone jumps my fortress wealth over 200k! After that I received not the usual 8-10 migrants, but a whole 21 of them! Is there any other method (10 disks per trap seems to be too much?) of making effective weapon traps? Or another trap defence perhaps?

5. About traps including retracting bridge and a pit below it. How deep must it be to be of any use? I've dug about 10 z-levels deep, but the 2 falled goblins survived pretty well, just some yellow wounds. It is really strange...

Mcducks22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11000 on: April 24, 2011, 12:42:18 pm »

How can I stop this:

Please?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11001 on: April 24, 2011, 01:08:46 pm »

4. Regarding previous question. I've made several (30) large serrated copper disks (of varying quality, but many of them superior and exceptional) for (planned) trap corridor and that alone jumps my fortress wealth over 200k! After that I received not the usual 8-10 migrants, but a whole 21 of them! Is there any other method (10 disks per trap seems to be too much?) of making effective weapon traps? Or another trap defence perhaps?
Dodge-this trap:

Red square: trap
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11002 on: April 24, 2011, 01:33:31 pm »

Some simple noob questions:
1. How to make civilian dwarves wear armor, or at least cloaks? I do removed CLOTHING and SUBTERRANEAN CLOTHING tags for the sake of inevitable fps hit. Also I made ARMORLEVEL:1 for one and every clothing, to further restrict dwarves from wearing it.

You would have to put them all into military squads to force a uniform (don't do that to miners, woodcutters or hunters).

And I don't do clay industry.

3. Idlers:22. Yes, that much (for a noob). I've no idea where to put them in use. I'm running multiple magma smelters already (for military), but I have no flux (or it is too deep for me), so no steel. Food and drinks seems to be ok (in counts about 400-500 each, variety of drinks is about 60-150 each).

2-3 miners, 2-5 masons, 1-2 engravers (not until the 2nd spring), 1 weaponsmith, 1 armorsmith, 2-3 furnace slaves, 2-3 farmers, 1 butcher, 2 tanners, 2 hunters, 1 tailor, 1 leatherworker, 3-5 mechanics, 1 broker/manager, 2-4 doctors/nurses, 1-2 stonecrafters, 1 woodcrafter, 1 bonecarver, 1 bowyer, etc.

The rest get drafted into squads (if male, otherwise assigned to hauler duty if female w/ no special talents).  My fort is sitting at 60 idle right now with 140 total dwarves.  I really need to start another mega expansion...

Early on, stick with a simple 1-tile wide path filled with wood spiked balls (and a few wood corkscrews) that everyone has to successfully cross in order to get into the fort.  This can simply look like:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

5. About traps including retracting bridge and a pit below it. How deep must it be to be of any use? I've dug about 10 z-levels deep, but the 2 falled goblins survived pretty well, just some yellow wounds. It is really strange...

12Z+ for a sure kill, and 15Z is not unusual or over the top.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11003 on: April 24, 2011, 01:42:48 pm »

How can I stop this:

(Hunter cancellation spam, "Could not find path")

Please?

Either seal off that cavern, or finish exploring it.  An open, partially-revealed cavern leads to this spam.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #11004 on: April 24, 2011, 03:00:59 pm »

If I ask a human in adventure mode about the surroundings and he says "Blah Blah Dragon Blah Blah cave NW", and then switch to fortress mode and embark where the cave is marked, can I expect a dragon?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11005 on: April 24, 2011, 03:43:42 pm »

If I ask a human in adventure mode about the surroundings and he says "Blah Blah Dragon Blah Blah cave NW", and then switch to fortress mode and embark where the cave is marked, can I expect a dragon?

AFAIK - yes
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11006 on: April 24, 2011, 05:18:02 pm »

Yes.  And because that dragon is considered a resident of the site, traps won't affect it.  Bit of a surprise if you're embarking there with plans to cage-trap the dragon.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11007 on: April 24, 2011, 05:54:52 pm »

My dwarves are depressed/enraged by long patrol duty. They're set to train for three months, then nothing for one month, then another three months of training. However, when I let them go, they get angry at NOT being on patrol. What do?
They're angry because they become "peasant" i think. Train them in a profession, even pump operator, so they gain stats and have a "day job" (make a special pump room with pumps pumping nothing at all, and set to always be on). Similarly, dwarves with no weapon skill don't like becoming soldiers, those who become "recruit" rather than "marksdwarf" or something. Having at least 1 good military trainer helps speed up the training, and some real life battle experience, e.g. against captured but disarmed goblins (leave their armour on, and use training weapons to prolong the combat / gain more XP).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 06:02:36 pm by Reelyanoob »

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11008 on: April 24, 2011, 07:21:28 pm »

I have a miner who has become stuck. I was digging a pit for a dodge trap. He channeled out all of the tiles except for the last one that should drop him 1 z level. Since he refused to channel this tile I built stairs up to him (and he built down stairs) so he can get down. However he refuses to leave. I tried drafting him and giving him the move command but that didn't work either. Anything I can do to get him to move?

*Edit* Figured it out... upstair/downstair were misplaced. Just one tile off :(
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 07:46:02 pm by greenskye »

NorrecV

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11009 on: April 24, 2011, 07:23:19 pm »

How tall can a tower be and still have dwarves with crossbows shoot down from it?
Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 1178