Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 731 732 [733] 734 735 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120222 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10980 on: April 23, 2011, 09:15:20 am »

I'm trying to embark but for some reason there's no iron anvil. There is a steel anvil though. Any reason why?
Is an iron anvil already selected? You start out with an iron anvil already chosen.

If your civ has iron, then you start with an iron anvil (100 points), but if not, then you start with a steel anvil (300 points).  Those 200 points can make a huge difference in what you have to sacrifice.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10981 on: April 23, 2011, 09:35:01 am »

Well, you can have 10000 embark points (adv. generator)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

OrbinDules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10982 on: April 23, 2011, 02:39:58 pm »

Since I would rather not page through 733 pages to see if someone has already asked this, I have a simple question: how does one get rid of down staircases? I know that you can designate up stairs/ramps for removal, but not down stairs.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10983 on: April 23, 2011, 02:55:26 pm »

Since I would rather not page through 733 pages to see if someone has already asked this, I have a simple question: how does one get rid of down staircases? I know that you can designate up stairs/ramps for removal, but not down stairs.

Channel them if natural, remove if constructed.

NorrecV

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10984 on: April 23, 2011, 02:58:10 pm »

I have a question about the symbols along the edge of the screen. On the right there are various colors of tiles(I'm using one of the graphic sets from the Lazy Newb Pack, the one with a P I believe).

I assume these tiles have to do with layer/how deep I am, for a quick reference. I'm not sure how to read them, because theres a big patch of blue ones and I'm not on a sky level/water level.

On the right there are two letters, a red "C" and a green "N", what do these mean?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10985 on: April 23, 2011, 02:59:40 pm »

On the right there are two letters, a red "C" and a green "N", what do these mean?
It's an "H" not an "N". They mean you have Combat and Hunting (r)eports.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10986 on: April 23, 2011, 03:32:14 pm »

And a blue "S" indicates that you have a new sparring report.

The symbols go away after you hit the 'r' screen to look at the reports and will not light up again until you get a new report of that type.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10987 on: April 23, 2011, 03:57:10 pm »

So after a bit of testing it seems the Justice system , particularly feeding of booze / drink and food to dwarves is broken.
Seems that what works best is 1 prisoner room since multiple prisoners in the same room will often cause the uppermost dwarf to be fed while the others starve to death.

It's possible to manually try to stop this by deconstructing the chain / cage and letting out the dwarf who runs for a drink or food, but they will often be picked up and put back to the cage. A second workaround is to lock the Sheriff / Captain of the guard into his room to stop him from caging those prisoners.

Seems I have had more deaths from chains / cages and hunger / thirst than from beatings...

Life Swordsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10988 on: April 23, 2011, 04:26:02 pm »

So question regarding the message "has been X about long patrol duty lately." Message on military Dorfs. I read that you need to have some down time in there schedules to avoid this, however, I've put about a month during each season as off duty(and during winter and spring, they don't even patrol out, just rest, train, then rest again for the season) and I'm still getting that message. Do I actually have to disband the squad to give them down time?

Some people make 'em patrol all year.

You're going to want to switch their alert state to inactive, to get them to actually be "off duty". They'll still train and stuff though.

Ok so after that, what if I use active commands, does that still make them unhappy even though they're off duty?

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10989 on: April 23, 2011, 04:27:48 pm »

So question regarding the message "has been X about long patrol duty lately." Message on military Dorfs. I read that you need to have some down time in there schedules to avoid this, however, I've put about a month during each season as off duty(and during winter and spring, they don't even patrol out, just rest, train, then rest again for the season) and I'm still getting that message. Do I actually have to disband the squad to give them down time?

Some people make 'em patrol all year.

You're going to want to switch their alert state to inactive, to get them to actually be "off duty". They'll still train and stuff though.

Ok so after that, what if I use active commands, does that still make them unhappy even though they're off duty?

They should only become unhappy if set to active/training for a long time I think. One month breaks tend not to be long enough. I use two months at the end of the year or if I've given them decent bedrooms just set them to inactive once I see most of them are 'enraged by a long patrol duty'.

Life Swordsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10990 on: April 23, 2011, 04:34:42 pm »

The way my scheduling is set up at the moment is:
No Scheduled Orders(NSO)
Train
NSO
NSO
Train
Patrol
NSO
Train
Patrol
NSO
Train
NSO

And they still have unhappy thoughts about long patrols. So should I have to set to the inactive alert to remedy this? and does using the active orders while on the inactive orders give bad thoughts about long patrols?

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10991 on: April 23, 2011, 05:39:32 pm »

Sans kennels, is there a way to force a particular dwarf to adopt an animal?

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10992 on: April 23, 2011, 05:57:21 pm »

Sans kennels, is there a way to force a particular dwarf to adopt an animal?

You could try setting availability as a pet and locking them in a room together. It might work, I haven't tried it. I doubt it would if the dwarf dislikes that kind of animal though. Time for !!Science!!

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10993 on: April 24, 2011, 02:44:11 am »

My dwarves happily dug staircases below level 100, but none of the others seem to want to go out and collect stuff from the caverns down there. They just ignore the collect and dig orders. They have a clear path from the staircases, and are happily doing the same thing from caverns at higher levels...

What am I missing?

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10994 on: April 24, 2011, 03:03:26 am »

My dwarves happily dug staircases below level 100, but none of the others seem to want to go out and collect stuff from the caverns down there. They just ignore the collect and dig orders. They have a clear path from the staircases, and are happily doing the same thing from caverns at higher levels...

What am I missing?

Generally, miners and gatherers work from the top of the world down to the bottom, from the west side of the map to the east side of the map, and (seems to be a weaker preference) from the north of the map to the south. This is general - sometimes they go in a different direction. But the overall algorithm for job-selection seems pretty strongly biased in those terms.

So they will usually dig out the designations on z+10 before moving on to the ones at z+0, gather the plants on the surface before working the cavern, cut the trees in the NW corner long before getting to the SE corner, and so forth. They're not ignoring your orders, they just have other orders they're doing first.

I think there is also something of a bias for more recent orders. For construction designations, I'm sure there's a strong bias - designate a thousand walls at the same time, and the last ones designated will be the first ones built 9 times out of 10. For digging and collecting I wouldn't bet money on it, but it seems to be that way but much weaker.

Usually if I want them to do something deep, I designate that first and don't have any other designations for them until they finish that job.
Pages: 1 ... 731 732 [733] 734 735 ... 1178