Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116686 times)

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1080 on: June 14, 2010, 07:13:36 pm »

Is there some kind of weird quirk with stone block stockpiles? I've made a few stockpiles near building sites, but only one of them seemed to work, and that one took forever. My mason shop is cluttered with blocks, and there is a stockpile nearby. No burrows are currently turned on, and I know dwarves have access to the stockpile (and shop). The stockpile is set to zero bins, and the settings have everything disabled except for bars/blocks -> blocks -> stone. I've set another stockpile up the same way, but allowed a single bin just to see, the bin is sitting in there empty. I've had a few dozen idle dwarves now for a very long time, and most of those have every single hauling labor enabled. Why isn't this working?

Edit: Nevermind, got it. Blocks doesn't do anything. Blocks: Metal has a list of every possible type of (non metal) stone to allow.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 08:18:53 pm by Halo »

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: June 14, 2010, 08:41:31 pm »

I bought some animals in cages from the dwarf caravan- how can I free the animals themselves?

The easiest way I've found is to build the cage (b - j I think) then open up its info (q) and unassigning the animal inside while assigning another to take its place.

Slightly more complex is to build the cage, link a lever to it, and pull the lever.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 09:09:47 pm by Louist »

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: June 14, 2010, 09:09:08 pm »

Me again!

I'm trying to set up some military to scare off some thieves. I've put together the squad, I have created a militia commander and captain, and I have set up a barracks and assigned it to my soldiers. When I tell the squad to station, they change into their soldier outfits (I'm using the latest May-Day set) go to where I ask, and attack anything that gets near. So far so good!

My problem, though, is that when I cancel the station, they all revert back to being civilians. I'm looking to keep them as soldiers because their day-jobs are useless to me and I want them to train up a bit. How would I go about this?

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: June 14, 2010, 09:11:48 pm »

Just leave them as inactive, they'll train separately. Group training is broken currently.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: June 14, 2010, 09:53:29 pm »

I just noticed the new Little Questions Thread.  Didn't get much response in the old thread for, I guess, obvious reasons.

I'm using the no-music .06 release, but my mouse doesn't work for designating digging/foresting/etc.  In have the init file set to [MOUSE:YES] already.  Is this a known issue, or did something change that I haven't been able to track down?

Hmm...possible incompatibility with your system?
What OS are you using?

I'm running XP.
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: June 14, 2010, 10:17:24 pm »

I think constructing it into something will make it never melt.

Making ice blocks MAY do the same.

What about creatures encased in ice? Is there a way to prevent them from thawing out? I read on the wiki that ice never melts on constructed tiles, so I might try that.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: June 14, 2010, 10:20:18 pm »

Just leave them as inactive, they'll train separately. Group training is broken currently.

So I can safely ignore comments like "Ingrim becomes a Fish cleaner" when I put them inactive?

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: June 14, 2010, 10:31:47 pm »

So I can safely ignore comments like "Ingrim becomes a Fish cleaner" when I put them inactive?
So long as they have a barracks assigned to their squad with training enabled on it they should do individual training despite being technically civilians.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: June 14, 2010, 10:33:00 pm »

Uhm, I think I've seen this problem posted before, but I can't find the thread:
I can't smelt bronze. I have both ores (copper nuggets and tetrahedrite) and bars of copper and tin. But the option doesn't show up under the smelter, though I can smelt other things perfectly fine. I've tried designating a stockpile for ores, too.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: June 14, 2010, 10:54:24 pm »

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: June 14, 2010, 11:46:25 pm »

Hrm, good point. But I've also got copper and tin bars, but still no option to smelt bronze?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

RabidRabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: June 15, 2010, 01:58:03 am »

A few military questions:

1) Are there reasons for dwarves to just refuse to do Individual Combat Drills?  Since group training is broken, I've been having my squads train by giving them a barracks and disabling all of their civilian labors - but there are always one or two dwarves that end up with "No Job" instead, no matter what I do (disband/reform squad, activate/deactivate, etc).  The only way I can level their skills is by activating them and throwing them into arenas to fight caged hostiles, which is far from efficient.

2) Is there a way to ensure that dwarves put on their weapon-hand protective gear?  Most of my military dwarves run around w/o gauntlets on their weapon hands, despite having been assigned something appropriate by the arsenal dwarf.  I'm guessing it has something to do w/ the order that they pick up their equipment (can't put a gauntlet on over a held weapon?), and it's really annoying because I've had more than one steel-clad fighter disabled by hails of copper/silver arrows that tore apart his weapon hand (one even bled to death THROUGH HIS HAND).

3) Equipment in general - is there a reliable way to get dwarves to change their equipment (i.e. between training axe and steel battleaxe) w/o having to disband and remake the entire squad w/ new uniforms?

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: June 15, 2010, 02:09:57 am »

1) Are there reasons for dwarves to just refuse to do Individual Combat Drills?  Since group training is broken, I've been having my squads train by giving them a barracks and disabling all of their civilian labors - but there are always one or two dwarves that end up with "No Job" instead, no matter what I do (disband/reform squad, activate/deactivate, etc).  The only way I can level their skills is by activating them and throwing them into arenas to fight caged hostiles, which is far from efficient.

2) Is there a way to ensure that dwarves put on their weapon-hand protective gear?  Most of my military dwarves run around w/o gauntlets on their weapon hands, despite having been assigned something appropriate by the arsenal dwarf.  I'm guessing it has something to do w/ the order that they pick up their equipment (can't put a gauntlet on over a held weapon?), and it's really annoying because I've had more than one steel-clad fighter disabled by hails of copper/silver arrows that tore apart his weapon hand (one even bled to death THROUGH HIS HAND).

3) Equipment in general - is there a reliable way to get dwarves to change their equipment (i.e. between training axe and steel battleaxe) w/o having to disband and remake the entire squad w/ new uniforms?

1) The reason why they are doing that is because they might be a bit lazy.

2) That might be a bug (its happening to me too) some dwarves will only put on one gauntlet or boot.

3) I haven't tried training weapons yet, I let them do individual training instead.

RabidRabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: June 15, 2010, 02:42:18 am »

1) The reason why they are doing that is because they might be a bit lazy.

2) That might be a bug (its happening to me too) some dwarves will only put on one gauntlet or boot.

3) I haven't tried training weapons yet, I let them do individual training instead.

Found one problem at least - my arsenal dwarf assigned two left gauntlets or two right gauntlets to some of them... others are having the same problem even with proper assignments though.

WieselTrupp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: June 15, 2010, 02:50:10 am »

How to Archers Equip Quivers?
I finaly 'found out'(wiki) how they use the archery range and now they whont equip quivers(since i cant set it up in the eq screen)

EDIT
they(archer squad) picked up their quivers as i removed the rations and thus the reason of carrying an backpack.
does the equiped backpack block the slot for a quiver?

btw, they got a quiver but now they refuse to pickup their given ammunition^^
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:12:04 am by WieselTrupp »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 1178