Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 711 712 [713] 714 715 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119654 times)

eNDer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10680 on: April 14, 2011, 10:19:43 pm »

Hi all!
I was wondering if there's an easier way to view a list of all my dwarves in-game (NOT using external ultilities) without having to press V and moving my cursor from dwarf to dwarf. I recall there being a main 'unit' screen back in the old version? (I last played 1.5yrs ago) There doesn't seem to be a comparable one in this new version..

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10681 on: April 14, 2011, 10:21:43 pm »

Hi all!
I was wondering if there's an easier way to view a list of all my dwarves in-game (NOT using external ultilities) without having to press V and moving my cursor from dwarf to dwarf. I recall there being a main 'unit' screen back in the old version? (I last played 1.5yrs ago) There doesn't seem to be a comparable one in this new version..

There is still the u key from the main menu that lists all your dwarves, pets, wild animals, and anything other creature in your area.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:42:06 pm by PenguinHero »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10682 on: April 14, 2011, 10:30:26 pm »

I didn't find out about the [ u ] key until like a month after I started. It made many things much easier.

I have trapped some goblins and trolls, and they have been carried to my Animals pile. How to I kill them and "liberate" their equipment?
I also have some wild animals (mainly lizards) that have been caught and caged there. Can I butcher them for meat and skins? If so, how?
[d]->[ b ]->[Claim] the square the cage is on, then [d]->[ b ]->[Dump] the same square. This will remove their armor and weapons.
Go into stocks and undump the cage.
[ b ]uild the ca[j]e, and connect it to a lever, station your military around the cage (or build it in the barracks), and pull the lever.

You can mass claim/dump after building the cage, and skip the "undumping the cage" step.

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10683 on: April 14, 2011, 10:36:04 pm »

Speaking of reclaiming...

If I have been dumping all my extra stone into a dump zone, and I say I want to reclaim it, do my dwarves just come and get a piece of stone when they need it? Or will they try and come and get it all back into a stone pile, in one massive retrieval activity?

Can I selectively reclaim things from the dump? I tried but could not work it out, if I could.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10684 on: April 14, 2011, 10:39:33 pm »

Reclaimed stone is exactly the same as normal stone, just stuffed into one tile. Your dwarves will treat it no different.

You can selectively reclaim things with [k], but this can be a inefficient if you have 400 stone on one tile. You can also use the z-stocks menu.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10685 on: April 15, 2011, 02:11:55 am »

Enemies don't get pissed off at being stuffed into cages by the dozens, right? I wanna make a Dobermann Bomb, you see.

Shit. Just found this one from way back...like five pages or so. What I meant to ask was do ANIMALS get pissed off.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #10686 on: April 15, 2011, 02:25:18 am »

If you're using kill orders, try move orders instead. Kill orders were a bit buggy in past versions, and I don't know if they've been fixed yet.
If you're already using move orders, I'm not sure what the problem is.
Kill single target order seems much more reliable than "kill in rectangle" or "kill multiple from list".

I have trapped some goblins and trolls, and they have been carried to my Animals pile. How to I kill them and "liberate" their equipment?
I also have some wild animals (mainly lizards) that have been caught and caged there. Can I butcher them for meat and skins? If so, how?
Build creature's cage, build lever, inside lever link it to the cage, pull lever to release cage's creature. MIGHTY BORING for 40 enemies.
Faster way: while traders are present, try to haul that cage to depot, creature gets out and meets your squad that is standing by.

Third way: build precarious floors over a big drop, install cages there, deconstruct some floor, rest of floor falls X levels down, splat. Easily do 12-30 creatures at a time.

Fourth way: Warlord's Bonfire Mod ( http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58806.0 ), install cages in grassy area, set fire to grass using bonfire workshop.

Fifth way: make a pit zone, assign creature to the pit, might work, they might get shoved down the pit.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Activity_zone#Pit.2FPond

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Cage
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Captured_creatures
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 02:33:26 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10687 on: April 15, 2011, 02:28:10 am »

Hi all!

Although you said NO external utilities: try dwarf therapist. It is an easy to use tool that GREATLY decreases the time spent on managing dwarfs. I would NOT like to play without it in a fortress with 20+ dwarves...
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Dwarf_Therapist#Dwarf_Therapist
(a>b) ? false : true

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10688 on: April 15, 2011, 02:47:50 am »

Picking up DF again. Doing my usual thing; new fortress in a sinister biome because I love aggressive, dangerous wildernesses.

Harpies come along and start harassing my fisherdwarves. Good!

I put two dwarves into a militia squad, send them out to chase them away. Critical error occurs.

Whenever the dwarves get in range of the harpies (a couple tiles away) they randomly drop their shields and then stand there, looping a 'Job Cancelled: Pickup Equipment, interrupted by Harpy' message.

I ordinarily wouldn't care, but they literally can't do anything but stand there, and my militia commander just got descended on by three of them with all his stuff on the floor, while his partner in crime is standing a couple feet away staring dumbly at the floor. Forbid/claim toggle isn't fixing anything.

What do. :/

edit: Actually, doesn't matter as much since the militia commander tore one of the harpy's throat out with his teeth, but a fix would be nice.
Report in on matis with save.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10689 on: April 15, 2011, 05:17:01 am »

If water moves over a tile, then contaminants on that tile disappear, right? I ask because the entrance to my fort is rather...BLOODY (thinking of switching to silver/iron spiked balls instead of discs...because, come on, this is getting ridiculous, there little 5x5 area in front of it has a pool on EVERY tile).
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10690 on: April 15, 2011, 05:40:05 am »

I notice that the Military screen lets me equip squad members with both a melee and ranged weapon.

Does this work? Will the dwarf take and use both? If not, what is the consequence?

eNDer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10691 on: April 15, 2011, 06:00:57 am »

Hi all!

There is still the u key from the main menu that lists all your dwarves, pets, wild animals, and anything other creature in your area.

ARGH I really should have pressed the keys in alphabetical order to find it...
Thanks!

San_A333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10692 on: April 15, 2011, 06:25:10 am »

I didn't find out about the [ u ] key until like a month after I started. It made many things much easier.

[d]->[ b ]->[Claim] the square the cage is on, then [d]->[ b ]->[Dump] the same square. This will remove their armor and weapons.
Go into stocks and undump the cage.
[ b ]uild the ca[j]e, and connect it to a lever, station your military around the cage (or build it in the barracks), and pull the lever.

You can mass claim/dump after building the cage, and skip the "undumping the cage" step.
Another technique: if your animal stockpile is located near of your barrack, when the caravan comes, put all your cages with gobelin to trade. They will be released as your dwarves come to pick them up (bug?). If you have disarmed them, your military will kill them all without any problem  (an it's also quite fun). This is much less troublesome than connecting your cages to levers one by one

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10693 on: April 15, 2011, 06:28:37 am »

So I was dumb enough to not bring a cat with me on embark.
I let s.o. catch some vermin with animal traps, but now i have no clue what to do with them?
I could tame them, but that takes a lot of time and to what use? Currently I just lock them all up in a cage...
(a>b) ? false : true

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10694 on: April 15, 2011, 06:41:59 am »

If water moves over a tile, then contaminants on that tile disappear, right? I ask because the entrance to my fort is rather...BLOODY (thinking of switching to silver/iron spiked balls instead of discs...because, come on, this is getting ridiculous, there little 5x5 area in front of it has a pool on EVERY tile).
NO. Water will MULTIPLY contaminants.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 711 712 [713] 714 715 ... 1178