Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119649 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10665 on: April 14, 2011, 11:07:38 am »

in bold below
I had a legendary marksdwarf/hunter get caught outside the fortress by a goblin ambush, and I have a couple of questions afterwards.

1) What is the easiest way to tell a member of the military to run? Will they flee combat if told to defend a far away burrow, do they have to be removed from a squad, etc.?
The only way that works (at least for me and the majority of folks) is to take him off-duty, so that he runs away. All active militia engages any threats.

2) He managed to survive, but barely. So many limbs broken. He has healed up as best as he can now, but has a good deal of yellow damage that shant go away on its own (on about a dozen different body parts), along with some nerve damage. If I were to wish to try and cure this up by less-than-legitimate means, what would be the way to go about it, if it is indeed possible at all? Right now he can walk and care for himself, which surprises me. I'm not certain if I will heal him up if there is a way (he could serve as the grizzled, scarred veteran that shambles around telling the youngsters tall tales of his exploits!), but I'm rather tempted, and would love to know if a method for it exists. Notthat I know of.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10666 on: April 14, 2011, 12:54:11 pm »

Okay so I have a crundle hatchery and elk bird hatchery set up now.
I'm curious for the eggs now. Firstly is there any difference between the eggs of different creatures. For example would the elk birds have larger and more feeding eggs then say my crundles, or do they have the same nutritional value. Secondly do they have different value multiplier to the meal  they are cooked in.

My crundle just claimed a nest box and plopped down 19!! eggs. If the eggs are all the same this seems like a very good source of food compared to my elk bird who only yielded 5 eggs last time.

lament

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10667 on: April 14, 2011, 01:16:02 pm »

I used to set up an animal stockpile for all my caged goblins. Now I setup the animal stockpile and I have many idlers that aren't clearing my traps. I need to clear my traps before the next ambush or I'm screwed. What gives?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10668 on: April 14, 2011, 01:18:17 pm »

I used to set up an animal stockpile for all my caged goblins. Now I setup the animal stockpile and I have many idlers that aren't clearing my traps. I need to clear my traps before the next ambush or I'm screwed. What gives?
Is there a clear path to the traps?
If you just had an ambush, there's a good chance you have a burrow active or a drawbridge raised somewhere.

lament

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10669 on: April 14, 2011, 01:22:32 pm »

*Face Palm* Standing orders, "Dwarves ignore animals"

Thanks

greenlichens

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10670 on: April 14, 2011, 01:55:23 pm »

So, what are these danger rooms I keep seeing referenced, but never described?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10671 on: April 14, 2011, 01:59:44 pm »

Upright apike traps, filled with training spears.
You build them in your barracks, set the lever an repeat, and your military will constantly be gaining experience from blocking/dodging/parrying them.

greenlichens

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10672 on: April 14, 2011, 02:02:53 pm »

Awwww. Cool, thanks.

Edit:
Oh, and I guess its on the wiki too. Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 02:05:06 pm by greenlichens »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10673 on: April 14, 2011, 02:50:14 pm »

Here's a new one for me: I had just finished digging and smoothing the area that was to become my new dining hall.  Of course I still had the old one set up.  I installed 3 table/chair sets from the mason's shop and designated the new hall.  Then, I hit 'x' on all the tables and chairs in the old hall, so I could set them up in the new hall.

While the tables and chairs were marked for removal, but before they could be removed, my expedition leader thought it would be grand to sit down at one of them and enjoy a nice roast.  Naturally, the table, or the chair, or both (I have no idea), got removed during his meal.

Now, he is going back and forth between two of the chairs in the new dining hall, roast in hand (not the same roast as before), with the job of "Eat", Hungry and Thirsty, but unable to figure out how to perform this complicated "Eat" job.  Back and forth, back and forth... I suppose the most logical thing to try next would be to undesignate the new dining hall, and see what he does....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10674 on: April 14, 2011, 02:53:32 pm »

Try putting him in a burrow for a moment, to force the job to cancel.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10675 on: April 14, 2011, 03:45:20 pm »

Try putting him in a burrow for a moment, to force the job to cancel.

The job can't be cancelled from the (j) (r) screen.

Undefining the dining hall did not work.

Unbuilding the tables and chairs did not work.  He just picked a different set to run back and forth between.

Drafting him into a squad and ordering the squad to station did not work.

Building a burrow outside of the dining hall and assigning him to it did not work.

After all that, unbuilding ALL the tables and chairs in the dining hall seemed to work.  He is currently running off to "Sleep", and he is Tired and Thirsty, but not Hungry.  I think he scarfed down the food at the last chair standing or something.

Maybe someone'll bring him some water....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Vehine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10676 on: April 14, 2011, 03:47:41 pm »

Picking up DF again. Doing my usual thing; new fortress in a sinister biome because I love aggressive, dangerous wildernesses.

Harpies come along and start harassing my fisherdwarves. Good!

I put two dwarves into a militia squad, send them out to chase them away. Critical error occurs.

Whenever the dwarves get in range of the harpies (a couple tiles away) they randomly drop their shields and then stand there, looping a 'Job Cancelled: Pickup Equipment, interrupted by Harpy' message.

I ordinarily wouldn't care, but they literally can't do anything but stand there, and my militia commander just got descended on by three of them with all his stuff on the floor, while his partner in crime is standing a couple feet away staring dumbly at the floor. Forbid/claim toggle isn't fixing anything.

What do. :/

edit: Actually, doesn't matter as much since the militia commander tore one of the harpy's throat out with his teeth, but a fix would be nice.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:49:40 pm by Vehine »

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #10677 on: April 14, 2011, 09:17:23 pm »

Picking up DF again. Doing my usual thing; new fortress in a sinister biome because I love aggressive, dangerous wildernesses.

Harpies come along and start harassing my fisherdwarves. Good!

I put two dwarves into a militia squad, send them out to chase them away. Critical error occurs.

Whenever the dwarves get in range of the harpies (a couple tiles away) they randomly drop their shields and then stand there, looping a 'Job Cancelled: Pickup Equipment, interrupted by Harpy' message.

I ordinarily wouldn't care, but they literally can't do anything but stand there, and my militia commander just got descended on by three of them with all his stuff on the floor, while his partner in crime is standing a couple feet away staring dumbly at the floor. Forbid/claim toggle isn't fixing anything.

What do. :/

edit: Actually, doesn't matter as much since the militia commander tore one of the harpy's throat out with his teeth, but a fix would be nice.

It does that for me too, seems like if the dwarf has ANY line of sight to a creature he's set to engage, he's interrupted at picking up equipment and stands there until you cancel and redo the attack order. That doesn't seem to happen when they're completely in the barracks and hidden away, though.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10678 on: April 14, 2011, 09:22:05 pm »

If you're using kill orders, try move orders instead. Kill orders were a bit buggy in past versions, and I don't know if they've been fixed yet.
If you're already using move orders, I'm not sure what the problem is.

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10679 on: April 14, 2011, 10:14:11 pm »

I have a couple of hopefully simple questions.

I have trapped some goblins and trolls, and they have been carried to my Animals pile. How to I kill them and "liberate" their equipment?
I also have some wild animals (mainly lizards) that have been caught and caged there. Can I butcher them for meat and skins? If so, how?

Thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 1178