Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119040 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10635 on: April 13, 2011, 01:27:20 pm »

Are Rutherers good pets?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10636 on: April 13, 2011, 01:53:14 pm »

Are Rutherers good pets?
I think as long as they have never entered combat with a dwarf, they'll be fine. Once they've gotten a taste for dwarven blood, though, they'll attack 'em even if they are tamed.

greenlichens

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10637 on: April 13, 2011, 02:18:09 pm »

My last few fortresses have had no iron bearing ore, is this maybe something I did? I adjusted the world gen to raise the minimum elevation (for flatter areas by volcanoes) and set minerals to 200 .

Lots of gold and copper. Even a little aluminum, but not a trace of iron. What can I do?

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10638 on: April 13, 2011, 02:55:25 pm »

Are Rutherers good pets?
I think as long as they have never entered combat with a dwarf, they'll be fine. Once they've gotten a taste for dwarven blood, though, they'll attack 'em even if they are tamed.

Is this a feature or a bug? If it's a bug it should be kept as a feature, if it's already a feature I once again applaud Toady for all the little details he adds to this game :D

Dolgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10639 on: April 13, 2011, 04:01:56 pm »

Is there any way to define a digging designation through multiple Z levels?

I'm going to get RSI soon unless I work this out.

edit: I am clearly illiterate

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10640 on: April 13, 2011, 04:28:15 pm »

You can hold the mouse button down and move between z-levels, or create a macro in-game or out. There's no way at the moment to designate a cube for digging.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #10641 on: April 13, 2011, 07:56:23 pm »

Not technically a gameplay question... but I guess it's best to ask it here:
Dwarffortresswiki.net is no longer the wiki, yet some old threads end up linking to it. Is what's there just the remnants of Google's ads? Looks like a weird site, but redirects seconds later to Google Adsense.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10642 on: April 13, 2011, 10:16:06 pm »

This is the new wiki (if you didn't already know), and the articles were all carried over. You can access the old articles from the wiki as well, in case they reference something version specific.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10643 on: April 13, 2011, 11:50:37 pm »

Recently my fort received the barony offer and I decided to reject, just to do something different. When I did the liaison went off without setting the trade agreements. If I keep rejecting, will I never get to make trade agreements again?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10644 on: April 14, 2011, 01:12:39 am »

My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10645 on: April 14, 2011, 02:01:22 am »

okay...

two questions...

a. do mask's interfere with helmets

and b. how do i modify the game, so that my dwarves can make masks

learnt about them from an artifact a child made in one of my old forts, and when i looked em up i was like "sweet, more coverage for my dwarves"...i kinda imagine dwarven helmets being kinda like this

http://images.halloweencostumes.net/knight-hat.jpg

or possibly just like putting a turtles shell on your head...

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #10646 on: April 14, 2011, 03:32:16 am »

My last few fortresses have had no iron bearing ore, is this maybe something I did? I adjusted the world gen to raise the minimum elevation (for flatter areas by volcanoes) and set minerals to 200 .
Lots of gold and copper. Even a little aluminum, but not a trace of iron. What can I do?
Play the Genesis mod, where Deon and myself have fine-tuned loads of things. Toady has no time to tune ore frequencies or animals.

If you want to stick to that embark... make lots of weapon traps full of wooden spiked balls. Then melt purchased anvils and enemy equipment, to make your own.

If you want to burn goblins who are in wooden cages... with a bushfire... try my current raws (in Genesis forum thread) where I've included Warlord's bonfire mod.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10647 on: April 14, 2011, 03:35:57 am »

Should turtles be walking on land? And can I now make them pets?
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

dorfstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10648 on: April 14, 2011, 04:55:44 am »

Adventure mode:
I realised I may have gotten things mixed up with the attributes, partly because of the semingly semi-random nature of speed and also because of the Super-human/dwarf/elf part of the attribute descr.

I initiatly believed there to be differences between a Superdwarven strong (strength) dwarf and a Superelf strong Elf. My thinking was that since the dwarf in the creature_standard file had a bonus to its strength, the dwarf was stronger at "Super" strength.

I then realised that perhaps the ++/-- part of the creature_standard file (PHYS_ATT_RANGE part of it) was only for creation of creatures during worldgen and when the engine creates new creatures (which I don't know if it ever does, appart from worldgen).

Speed also seem to have some kind of racial modifier tied into it, as well as a random element. Do we have access to any of the files that modify or set those modifiers?

Ze questions:
  • Am I correct in asuming that a Super-somewhat  strength is as strong as a Super-other strength when it comes to attributes.
  • Is the PHYS_ATT_RANGE used only during the creation of creatures?
  • Is there any difference in how attributes are handled in Dwarf mode for creatures and in Adventure mode?
  • What files, if any, can be used to modify speed modifiers?

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10649 on: April 14, 2011, 05:07:11 am »

I just caught my first egg laying creature I wished to domesticate. They're now in a fine pasture with some nest boxes. I've only got one female so I need to start a breeding program before I can even think about harvesting them for eggs. (plus their meat and bones might be more valuable to me)
How do I keep dwarves from taking the eggs so that they may be hatched?
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 1178