Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118803 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10545 on: April 09, 2011, 06:16:14 pm »

Can water be pressurized, so that when released it shoots forward with considerable force to knock enemies away?

EDIT: also, is it possible to catch water creatures like giant olms and alligators? My moat needs trained attack animals.
You can catch them in cage traps, by either draining water and building, building then flooding, or building and luring them out of the water.

NINJAAA'D by better info.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10546 on: April 09, 2011, 08:29:59 pm »

alright, so im poking around in legends mode, cuz when i looked at the goblin civ that im at war with, they're leader has been a burnt umber monster since 2 >.>

looking through this guy's list of things he's done, he has made repeated trips into the caves and tamed various cave animals...does that mean that when they eventually start attacking me on mounts, they'll have these things?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10547 on: April 09, 2011, 08:41:53 pm »

looking through this guy's list of things he's done, he has made repeated trips into the caves and tamed various cave animals...does that mean that when they eventually start attacking me on mounts, they'll have these things?
Yes, but only if he himself is part of the siege.  And then only once, because even if he survives to leave the map he'll lose his civilization position and never show up in a siege again.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10548 on: April 09, 2011, 09:31:04 pm »

How can I ensure kobolds will survive world gen? I heard they always die due to malnutrition or something.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10549 on: April 09, 2011, 09:33:20 pm »

lol, yeah, every kobold civ i see in legends, died out by 3

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10550 on: April 09, 2011, 09:39:40 pm »

How can I ensure kobolds will survive world gen? I heard they always die due to malnutrition or something.
Try giving them [noeat] and [nodrink].

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10551 on: April 09, 2011, 09:40:59 pm »

Try giving them [noeat] and [nodrink].

Where is the kobold raw entry.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10552 on: April 09, 2011, 11:29:31 pm »

It's in creature_standard.txt.  The first creatures are dwarf, human, elf, goblin, and kobold.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10553 on: April 10, 2011, 01:06:27 am »

It's in creature_standard.txt.  The first creatures are dwarf, human, elf, goblin, and kobold.

JMZ

Tried that. Kobolds still starve during the first 5 years.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10554 on: April 10, 2011, 01:11:54 am »

alright guys...i just wanna make sure this will work...

my uniform for my military is...

leather robes
leather cloaks
metal mail shirts
metal breastplates
metal caps
metal helms
leather hoods
metal leggings
metal greaves
metal gauntlets
metal high boots
metal shields
indiv choice, melee

two questions,

is this effectively complete coverage? and b, will they be able to wear all of these things properly?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10555 on: April 10, 2011, 01:13:35 am »

That's pretty complete though I think greaves and leggings might conflict. 
Memento Mori

Conflict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10556 on: April 10, 2011, 01:14:41 am »

Question] While I'm trying to pass some time, I'm making rock mugs, but I'd like to use specific materials to make them, materials that I probably won't want to use. Is it possible I can choose what material I use to make the rock mugs with, and if so, how?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10557 on: April 10, 2011, 01:21:40 am »

Not easily. Your best bet is to make a burrow with the rocks, a workshop and some food/drink and assign the crafter to it.
Memento Mori

Conflict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10558 on: April 10, 2011, 01:26:34 am »

Ah. So pretty much corner them off in their own little quarantined section? Damn. Oh well. When my fortress grows, I'll probably create factories of sorts with some stockpiles, and plenty of stone, all for the purpose of creating a lot.

Thanks for your answer :)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10559 on: April 10, 2011, 01:57:49 am »

Question] While I'm trying to pass some time, I'm making rock mugs, but I'd like to use specific materials to make them, materials that I probably won't want to use. Is it possible I can choose what material I use to make the rock mugs with, and if so, how?

Actually you can do it pretty easily.

Create a stockpile right next to the mug-making facility, and set it to only accept the type of material you want to make mugs from.

If you mine directly under the craftdwarf shop, you might occasionally have your dwarf running downstairs to get a few rocks, but they will typically choose the ones right nearby in the stockpile.

If you don't have lots of extra workers, this can really gum up a fortress though - stonecrafters can use a LOT of rock very quickly and keep haulers running like mad once they get skilled up nicely - especially if they are operating from a stone stockpile that is very close to their workshop.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 1178