Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118630 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10500 on: April 07, 2011, 07:19:09 am »

That's what I needed to know! Thanks.
Constructed floors never growth anything to my knowledge. It has to be natural ground. Let me know if this is changed with clay floors, but I doubt it.

Any constructed floor counts as a building, as does any farm plot, they can't overlap. Also, cave plants don't grow on mud on constructed (or smoothed) floors as they do on soil or muddied rough stone.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10501 on: April 07, 2011, 08:30:39 am »

That's what I needed to know! Thanks.
Constructed floors never growth anything to my knowledge. It has to be natural ground. Let me know if this is changed with clay floors, but I doubt it.

Any constructed floor counts as a building, as does any farm plot, they can't overlap. Also, cave plants don't grow on mud on constructed (or smoothed) floors as they do on soil or muddied rough stone.
But you can have wall below:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10502 on: April 07, 2011, 12:25:04 pm »

Is there any use for plump helmet man plump helmet man tissues?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

D.L.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10503 on: April 07, 2011, 12:39:33 pm »

What purpose do tools like ladles, carving knives, cleavers, and cauldrons serve?

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10504 on: April 07, 2011, 01:01:24 pm »

What purpose do tools like ladles, carving knives, cleavers, and cauldrons serve?

In Adventure Mode, selling for chump change.

In Dwarf Fortress mode, melting down.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10505 on: April 07, 2011, 02:08:21 pm »

No, your dwarves won't eat the flesh of sentient creatures, and even if they did plump helmet man tissue doesn't have the right tags in the raws to act like an edible meat product.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #10506 on: April 07, 2011, 03:41:53 pm »

No, your dwarves won't eat the flesh of sentient creatures, and even if they did plump helmet man tissue doesn't have the right tags in the raws to act like an edible meat product.
Shouldn't it act like a plant?  Or am I overthinking a fictional creature? ???

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10507 on: April 07, 2011, 04:03:47 pm »

Shouldn't it act like a plant?  Or am I overthinking a fictional creature? ???
It should, but it doesn't, because it's in the wrong form.  Your dwarves won't eat a random chunk of edible material unless it's the right type of item.  Just as glass from a forgotten beast made of glass can't be used for anything, plump helmet tissue from a plump helmet man can't be eaten.  It is possible to mod plump helmet men to actually yield edible plant material objects when butchered - I figured out what they're missing and what needed to be added when I created Tofurkeys as an experiment.  The plump helmet material needs to have the [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:MEAT:NONE] added, and possibly [MEAT] as well, in order to produce edible items when butchering them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10508 on: April 07, 2011, 04:33:01 pm »

They do not put them on. However, you can work around this by assigning everyone a uniform made of civilian garments. Just leave them on inactive duty. Or, you know, don't.  ;)

too lazy to make squads for 150 dwarves. As it is I feel kind of silly making tons of clothing and filling their rooms with cabinets.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Taren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10509 on: April 07, 2011, 05:16:25 pm »

People were asking about a warning system for dangers, I use the sound mod and the battle sounds help no end if there is a disturbance going on, or a thief about etc.

You can mod the sounds to be anything, and even if you disable everything else in it, I imagine this would be a useful warning system to have. Little details like reminding me of events are so helpful if my attention is elsewhere at the time.

Anyway check it out, if you are new it will likely help a lot till you get the hang of things, it did for me!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60287.0

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10510 on: April 07, 2011, 07:19:03 pm »

Deadly blood. Just got a Forgotten beast, called the Gravetomb the Bones of Murder or something similar. A flying leech with scales made of slate and deadly blood. Thankfully it was dispatched without too much trouble, with a feet as the only casualty.

Now the problem is that there is a puddle of deadly blood near my Barracks. I put a Restricted movement cost on it in the meanwhile, but how do I get rid of it before someone stupid kills everyone?

I was also wondering if Elite Marksdwarves/Weaponlords do anything other than looking cool.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10511 on: April 07, 2011, 07:27:31 pm »

1) Build a wall (or maybe floor) over it? (dunno if this'd work).

2) Wash it away with water.

3) Was it away with Magma.

4) try getting the DFhack pack & using DFcleanmap on it?

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #10512 on: April 07, 2011, 07:34:17 pm »

1) Build a wall (or maybe floor) over it? (dunno if this'd work).
This will work.  Build and then remove your wall, or else build a floor over it.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10513 on: April 07, 2011, 08:15:14 pm »

hehehehehehehehehe...

an elven caravan brought a giant desert scorpion...and this is only the second year of my fort, i know i need a dungeon master to tame it, but do i need one to train it into a war animal? if so, how do i mod the stuff to make it a war giant desert scorpion to give to my militia captain lol

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10514 on: April 07, 2011, 08:31:48 pm »

[NVM, apparently the "information" I provided in this post was inaccurate. sorry]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:31:57 pm by JAFANZ »
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 1178