Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118123 times)

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10335 on: April 01, 2011, 11:59:09 pm »

Depends. If you want an instant kill 100% of the time I wouldn't count on 9zs. They will sustain massive injuries that will usually result in death fairly quickly though.
Memento Mori

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10336 on: April 02, 2011, 12:03:16 am »

Can spear/spike traps jam?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10337 on: April 02, 2011, 12:06:00 am »

The upright spike/spear traps do not. Weapons traps made with spikes/spears as components will. 
Memento Mori

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10338 on: April 02, 2011, 12:20:35 am »

The upright spike/spear traps do not. Weapons traps made with spikes/spears as components will.
That's what I thought; thanks.

If I forbid all other bars, will a dwarf that's claimed a forge make use of fuel bars for the artifact?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10339 on: April 02, 2011, 12:33:19 am »

possibly, or they may want a specific material.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10340 on: April 02, 2011, 04:32:36 am »

If I forbid all other bars, will a dwarf that's claimed a forge make use of fuel bars for the artifact?
After fortunate timing, I can officially answer this: Dwarves will not use coke, charcoal, or soap.

fuzzyevil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10341 on: April 02, 2011, 09:03:08 am »

Alright, a few questions here.  This is my first fort, and while I understand the military system in a broad sense, there's quite  few things that are confusing me.

First, I started with a squad of three dwarves, and then when a migrant wave came, I drafted 7 more dwarves into the army, mostly useless civilians.   The squad's alert is set to train year round with a 8 dwarf minimum.  However, I can't get the new dwarves to actually join the army and become recruits.   When hovering over the squad in the (m) screen, it says "Carnal Savages, 3 dwarves  active, 7 inactive"  How do I activate those?

Secondly, I understand the basic premise of the uniform system.  But how do I get my guys to actually use weapons?  I made some training axes for them to use, but they seem content to punch each other.  I don't have metal up and running yet (can't find coal, little trees), so I don't have many metal weapons for them to use, unfortunately.  But how do I view what they have equipped, and how do I tell them to use the weapons?  The uniform is set on personal preference for melee.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10342 on: April 02, 2011, 09:17:14 am »

I have never seen the first problem. I'd try to put them in their own squad or take the squad off training for a bit and put it back on. 

I think the default uniform tells them to look for metal weapons so they probably don't think they have any. You can (e) equip a soldier and tell him to use a training weapon if you want.
Memento Mori

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10343 on: April 02, 2011, 09:57:05 am »

Did you create a barracks and set it to permit training for the Carnal Savages squad?  Once you do that, everything should be fairly automatic.

Also, you can use (m) (e) (P) to see which dwarves have been assigned which equipment.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10344 on: April 02, 2011, 11:19:09 am »

You can assign dwarves specific items, try that to get them to use training weapons.

fuzzyevil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10345 on: April 02, 2011, 11:49:17 am »

Thanks for the replies, they are now using the training weapons.  As for the seven inactive dwarves thing, I have set a barracks that has both training and sleeping enabled in it.  I took them off duty and back on, and still there are only three dwarves active.  Those three also getting pretty pissed at me at this point, with one of them in the dark red very unhappy stage, apparently she doesn't like being taken off duty and getting put back on again.  The other seven layabouts refuse to participate in anything, but just go about their civilian lives.

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10346 on: April 02, 2011, 12:04:28 pm »

You sure it's set to 8 minimum for every month? Did you set the squad alert to active/training? If you have default key-bindinds pressing 's', 'a' then 't' should set the squad to 'Active/Training'. Which of the four options have you set for the squad on the barracks? I usually set them all on the make sure all bases are covered.

Try scrapping the military and start again setting it up from scratch to see if you can replicate the problem - or fix it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 12:09:39 pm by Darkweave »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10347 on: April 02, 2011, 12:28:47 pm »

Does anyone else have problems with getting dwarves to use royal jelly in cooking?

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10348 on: April 02, 2011, 01:54:07 pm »

So if I put crossbows in weapon traps, and I have available bolts, will dorfs automatically put bolts into the trap once its constructed?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10349 on: April 02, 2011, 01:58:10 pm »

Yes and yes.
Memento Mori
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 1178