Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117980 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10320 on: April 01, 2011, 12:44:37 pm »

Do military dwarves need some sort of chest or cabinet in an room assigned to them to store stuff in, hiding random bits of clothing all over the fort is getting a bit tedious.

They will store their unworn personal clothing in a cabinet.  Or on the floor of their bedroom if they don't have a cabinet, but only one item per floor spot, so if there's already a stone there, they won't store dirty socks on that spot....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10321 on: April 01, 2011, 01:19:16 pm »

Do military dwarves need some sort of chest or cabinet in an room assigned to them to store stuff in, hiding random bits of clothing all over the fort is getting a bit tedious.

They will store their unworn personal clothing in a cabinet.  Or on the floor of their bedroom if they don't have a cabinet, but only one item per floor spot, so if there's already a stone there, they won't store dirty socks on that spot....

Ok, so I need to assign them some bedrooms with cabinets then. Thanks.  :)

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10322 on: April 01, 2011, 02:27:47 pm »

So how long do tower-caps and fungiwood take to grow? I started an underground wood farm. Nothing huge, but it'll give me a few extra woods to be chopped in a safe area.

Also, cave moss/aboveground grass doesn't prevent saplings from spawning, right?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:15:44 pm by Mister Always »
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping the fireclay
« Reply #10323 on: April 01, 2011, 02:59:19 pm »

However, I am afraid that grass will grow back over the fireclay at some point.
Is there some way I can keep that fireclay tile exposed?
It isn't necessary. Sand and clay zones can go over grass-covered tiles of their respective soil stuff.
hmm, I lost a sand zone when it got overgrown by moss. 
I figured that it would be the same for the clay.

In the newer versions, you can designate over grass-covered tiles, but dwarves will not collect unless it's exposed. A workaround I use is to also designate the same zone as a pasture -  animals will eat the grass, exposing enough tiles for collection.

Edit: you can also designate over clay/sand walls, which will never be covered by grass.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10324 on: April 01, 2011, 07:23:55 pm »

Is there a way to move tombs that have already been filled?
Memento Mori

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10325 on: April 01, 2011, 07:47:04 pm »

So I was reading some figurines my dwarves made and... What are Twilight Brides?

If It's what I think... My world may have a very fucked up history.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10326 on: April 01, 2011, 08:07:45 pm »

A type of randomly generated night creature.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10327 on: April 01, 2011, 08:22:39 pm »

So how long do tower-caps and fungiwood take to grow? I started an underground wood farm. Nothing huge, but it'll give me a few extra woods to be chopped in a safe area.

Also, cave moss/aboveground grass doesn't prevent saplings from spawning, right?

I haven't done science, but I've run a lot of tree farms. It seems to be semi-random, in that every month or two a certain percentage of sapling trees sprout into full-grown trees. Mushroom trees work the same way.

No, grass doesn't stop anything from spawning.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10328 on: April 01, 2011, 08:25:16 pm »

What happens to the natural landscape - trees, grass, etc - if I cave the entirety of it down one level? Two levels?
The silver is responsible for this How?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10329 on: April 01, 2011, 08:34:36 pm »

Is there a way to move tombs that have already been filled?
Not without desecrating the grave.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #10330 on: April 01, 2011, 08:36:35 pm »

What happens to the natural landscape - trees, grass, etc - if I cave the entirety of it down one level? Two levels?

I'm fairly sure that all the leafy green stuff will get destroyed, but it might grow back at random-- somewhat like saplings do?

What's the effect of changing pregenerated history length? Less civ development early on or something? I choose short usually since my computer's not too fast.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 08:47:34 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10331 on: April 01, 2011, 09:44:46 pm »

A type of randomly generated night creature.

Oh dear.

Looks like my dwarves had one of them as a queen for a while.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10332 on: April 01, 2011, 09:56:01 pm »

Looks like my dwarves had one of them as a queen for a while.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not much of a spoiler, true, but it's a neat thought to keep. Edward Pattinson fandwarves, lol.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

choobakka

• Bay Watcher
  • The same thing we do every night, Pinky...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10333 on: April 01, 2011, 11:14:54 pm »

I started a new fortress, and i need an anvil BADLY. Plenty of iron, and i have like 4 smiths (curse you migrants!) but i have no anvil. Its already almost winter (Timber 13th), and im worried that the caravan wont come for some reason. What do? Oh, and one of my smiths is in a fey mood.

Nevermind. They came. All is good.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:21:08 pm by choobakka »

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10334 on: April 01, 2011, 11:54:10 pm »

alright!

so, im working on a dodge trap entrance, and i realised i can only make it 9z lvl's down. now if i were to say, line the bottom with upright spikes, will the 9z's and spikes kill the things that dodge? or is just the 9z's fine?
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 1178