Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118006 times)

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10305 on: April 01, 2011, 08:45:27 am »

Why can't I (A)ssign my bought animals out of their cages?

I construct my cages with Tame horse and Tame goose near my pasture. I then (Q) select the Cage with the horse and tap (A)ssign. I see the menu alright with the Tame Horse on top showing a cage icon just like the one I just bought. However, I cannot unassign it from the cage. Neither can I make the horse exit the cage if I use the Pasture (N) assignment screen to direct the horse onto the pasture. What the devil am I doing wrong here?

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10306 on: April 01, 2011, 09:07:41 am »

I construct my cages with Tame horse and Tame goose near my pasture. I then (Q) select the Cage with the horse and tap (A)ssign. I see the menu alright with the Tame Horse on top showing a cage icon just like the one I just bought. However, I cannot unassign it from the cage. Neither can I make the horse exit the cage if I use the Pasture (N) assignment screen to direct the horse onto the pasture. What the devil am I doing wrong here?

What do you mean you can't unassign it? Put the cursor on the horse and hit "Enter". What happens?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10307 on: April 01, 2011, 09:34:13 am »

Remember that the horse does not go out of the cage as soon as you unassign it: a dwarf has to go open the cage first.

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10308 on: April 01, 2011, 09:48:28 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Cage
Bugs
Creatures in cages that come from dead merchants cannot be freed. They can only be transferred between cages.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10309 on: April 01, 2011, 09:58:17 am »

If a dwarf wears iron gauntlets, are his punches more powerful?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10310 on: April 01, 2011, 10:05:05 am »

Not as far as I can tell, but at least his hands are protected.

DwarvenInsanity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10311 on: April 01, 2011, 10:12:55 am »

Could somebody explain to me how to find magma? Do I have to dig all the way down? And even then, how would I get the Lava to go up to where I need it?
Thanks!

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10312 on: April 01, 2011, 10:18:25 am »

So you cannot cast obsidian by throwing buckets of water on top of the magma?
True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

jborynec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Keeping the fireclay
« Reply #10313 on: April 01, 2011, 10:21:57 am »

My latest embark crosses two biomes.  One biome does not have a soil layer at all.
The other has a single layer of sand, going to claystone at the next level.

While one of my yaks was eating the grass on the biome with no soil.
it uncovered a tile of *fireclay*.  Woot. 

Now I can get into the pottery business.

However, I am afraid that grass will grow back over the fireclay at some point.
Is there some way I can keep that fireclay tile exposed? 
(If I park the yak over it, the yak will starve).

Is there some way to destroy grass on demand without wrecking my fireclay?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10314 on: April 01, 2011, 10:31:55 am »

Could somebody explain to me how to find magma? Do I have to dig all the way down? And even then, how would I get the Lava to go up to where I need it?
Thanks!

Look up "pump stacks" and "magma-safe materials".

jborynec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10315 on: April 01, 2011, 10:37:01 am »

Thanks!

Yes, you need to dig down.  Either build your workshops at the magma, or build (magma safe) pump stacks (and associated power trains) to bring it up to the surface. 

Alternatively, you can collapse parts of your site into prepared locations to push the magma up (think piston and cylinder)

The wiki is your friend.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10316 on: April 01, 2011, 11:10:16 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Cage
Bugs
Creatures in cages that come from dead merchants cannot be freed. They can only be transferred between cages.
Ahem.
BUILD THE CAGE, CONNECT IT TO A LEVER, PULL THE LEVER. PROFIT!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping the fireclay
« Reply #10317 on: April 01, 2011, 12:10:02 pm »

It isn't necessary. Sand and clay zones can go over grass-covered tiles of their respective soil stuff.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

jborynec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping the fireclay
« Reply #10318 on: April 01, 2011, 12:32:38 pm »

It isn't necessary. Sand and clay zones can go over grass-covered tiles of their respective soil stuff.

hmm, I lost a sand zone when it got overgrown by moss. 
I figured that it would be the same for the clay.

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10319 on: April 01, 2011, 12:40:29 pm »

I have a working military set up, 3 squads of 6 that take it in turns to train, station at the entrance then take a month off, and they all seem to be equipped properly, but they also throw their socks and other assorted clothing items all over the fortress. The uniform is set to be worn over clothing not replace it but these clothing items end up all over the place and no-one seems to want to move them anywhere. Do military dwarves need some sort of chest or cabinet in an room assigned to them to store stuff in, hiding random bits of clothing all over the fort is getting a bit tedious.

Also, my military seem to sleep on the floor at the station point fairly often, causing unhappy thoughts. Is this likely to be because I set the minimum number too high? They're set to 'sleep in barracks at will'.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 12:45:13 pm by Darkweave »
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 1178