Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117667 times)

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10230 on: March 30, 2011, 12:04:18 pm »

do elephants still starve cuz they cant feet themselves fast enough? i just picked an embark, friggin beauty, plenty of iron, marble and stuff, and a group of elephants just walked onto my map, im thinkin of tryin to capture them and make them war elephants to deter the gobbies, but if they'll just starve then whats the point lol

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10231 on: March 30, 2011, 12:06:34 pm »

Yeah, they'll still starve. They make good food sources if you only tame them when you want to slaughter them, though. And there's nothing preventing you from leaving the wild elephants in cages in the wild for siege trolls to break open. Stuff as many elephants into one cage as you can for maximum benefit.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10232 on: March 30, 2011, 12:11:14 pm »

Will a pet war dog protect its owner, or do I have to assign the war dog to a dwarf through the labor menu?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10233 on: March 30, 2011, 12:49:02 pm »

Will a pet war dog protect its owner, or do I have to assign the war dog to a dwarf through the labor menu?

A war animal will fight nearby enemies. If it is the pet of a dwarf, it will follow them around and will therefore be on hand if they need protection. Assigning a war animal to a dwarf through the labor menu makes one of your war animals a pet of the dwarf in question.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10234 on: March 30, 2011, 01:47:03 pm »

blarg, what stockpile is used for sand bags?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10235 on: March 30, 2011, 01:52:58 pm »

Furniture stockpiles have a separate option for sand bags.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10236 on: March 30, 2011, 01:58:29 pm »

blarg, what stockpile is used for sand bags?
Furniture stockpiles have a separate option for sand bags.
You press [u] to switch it on or off, like prepared meals.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10237 on: March 30, 2011, 02:21:29 pm »

Is there any way to check the inventory of a caged enemy? My dwarves have been rather busy, and I'd hate to loose the crossbowgoblin into the arena if the dwarves never got around to dumping his equipment.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10238 on: March 30, 2011, 02:51:15 pm »

oh lord, i got a wave with about 3 hunters, and they've decided to make the elephants their prey, and one of them have suceeded so far, im gonna be friggin swimming in meat soon >.<

also...i made one of my first 7 dwarves have 3 lvls in teaching and 2 in speardwarf, will other weapondwarves change to spears with him as the leader?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10239 on: March 30, 2011, 03:15:48 pm »

Dwarves will usually choose the weapon associated with their highest weapon skill when allowed to choose their own weapon.
If you assign them a weapon, they will use and gain skill with that weapon.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10240 on: March 30, 2011, 03:56:15 pm »

So, technical question. I tried copying my current download of DF (save file and all, I just copied the folder and pasted it onto the databar) onto an USB stick. Now when I try to launch it from the USB stick, it tells me that it can't find data/art/curses_640X300.png . What is that?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10241 on: March 30, 2011, 04:33:15 pm »

So, technical question. I tried copying my current download of DF (save file and all, I just copied the folder and pasted it onto the databar) onto an USB stick. Now when I try to launch it from the USB stick, it tells me that it can't find data/art/curses_640X300.png . What is that?

Open your data/art/ folder. It's a tileset. Your init file probably directs to it, but for some reason it didn't make the transfer.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10242 on: March 30, 2011, 06:01:38 pm »

Is there any way to check the inventory of a caged enemy? My dwarves have been rather busy, and I'd hate to loose the crossbowgoblin into the arena if the dwarves never got around to dumping his equipment.

Only indirectly, through the stocks screen.  But since you want to dump its entire inventory, just repeat the dumping process and see if it queues up any Dump Item jobs.  If it doesn't, then you already dumped its stuff.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10243 on: March 30, 2011, 06:04:42 pm »

Only indirectly, through the stocks screen.  But since you want to dump its entire inventory, just repeat the dumping process and see if it queues up any Dump Item jobs.  If it doesn't, then you already dumped its stuff.

Ooh, good tip. Thanks for that!

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #10244 on: March 30, 2011, 07:06:53 pm »

How the hell do I download from here? Trying to get an automatic patcher for Mayday.
https://github.com/rofl0r/df-mayday

EDIT: Never mind, found the link hidden way up on the top of the page.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 07:09:29 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 1178