Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117602 times)

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10200 on: March 29, 2011, 03:36:01 pm »

Be careful about confining chickens, they don't like being cooped up. Expect a lot of dead chicks from them fighting each other.

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10201 on: March 29, 2011, 03:37:51 pm »

Is there a way to make all of my ale and beer in to green glass pots, all of my wine in to clear glass pots and all of my food in to stoneware pots without incredibly tedious micro and forbidding of items depending on active jobs?
try storing different pots in different stockpiles near corresponding food/drink stockpile  ? that would take some room planning and extra pots though

I guess the only way to do it at this point will be to have a still with a stockpile of whichever pot type I want next to it, the appropriate plant stockpile nearby and a stockpile of appropriate plant storing pots near that, then I'll just have to check on the stockpiles occasionally and stop work if I start running low.

Be careful about confining chickens, they don't like being cooped up. Expect a lot of dead chicks from them fighting each other.

Pun intentional or unintentional?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10202 on: March 29, 2011, 03:39:21 pm »

Dare I say it was punintentional?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10203 on: March 29, 2011, 04:15:17 pm »

Oh yeah, completely punintentional...

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10204 on: March 29, 2011, 04:25:13 pm »

Oh yeah, completely punintentional...

That's good, would have been pretty fowl otherwise.

SeanTucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10205 on: March 29, 2011, 05:14:34 pm »

Why, exactly, does my fort pop always nearly double every migrant wave? Am I just too good at this game or something?  :P

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10206 on: March 29, 2011, 05:30:46 pm »

Why, exactly, does my fort pop always nearly double every migrant wave? Am I just too good at this game or something?  :P
That is a possibility, as migrant numbers are partly based on fortress wealth.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10207 on: March 29, 2011, 05:47:09 pm »

1 minotaur + 1 weapon trap(1 masterwork mechanism + 3 masterwork green glass discs + 3 exceptional green glass discs) = Dead minotaur. :)
Still haven't seen any gobos in metal armor, want to see how they fare.

Jaredus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10208 on: March 29, 2011, 07:02:52 pm »

Hello, bit of a newby here. Is there a certain amount of time that passes before you meet any hostile creatures like goblins? I've had a few waves of migrants, so i'm about to start fortifying and make a military.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #10209 on: March 29, 2011, 07:15:02 pm »

Usually the second year they like to stop by, but it's mostly dependent on your fort's value/import/exports and population. The more dwarves you have and the more your fort is worth, the more they like to stop by and the more they like to bring.

Of course distance is a factor too, so you may very well not see any goblins until year 4 or 6.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10210 on: March 29, 2011, 07:25:02 pm »

If you haven't been throttling production and trade, the 'a few waves of migrants' stage is likely going to be enough to make your fortress a target. If you have kids around you might get lone snatchers first. Much better than the gobbos opening with a ranged ambush.

It's best to make a military as early as possible, because training is slow at first. Get Dwarf Therapist if you haven't got it, and draft any dwarves with military skill (unless they're skilled in armouring or something else desirable and hard to train). They'll need the head start, and you want them sparring ASAP. Once they've all got each other up to speed, make a couple of them militia captains and give them some newbies to train. Don't send these squads out until they've been sparring for a while, unskilled military are a bit rubbish.

Stick to single-weapon squads at first so that their weapon training is focused. Picks are a great universal weapon against goblin-sized creatures, as they go in deep but have enough surface area to remove limbs.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jaredus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10211 on: March 29, 2011, 07:48:24 pm »

Thanks, that's good to know. My production has been a little slow coming, seeing as i found gold early and decided to make that into crafts and furniture, so it makes sense that i've had relative peace. I've got a few pretty skilled soldiery types, so i guess i'll make them captains and go from there.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10212 on: March 29, 2011, 07:53:17 pm »

Will doctors use stuff if it isn't in the hospital stockpile? My dorfs insist on filling every coffer I put in mine with thread and cloth.
Memento Mori

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10213 on: March 29, 2011, 08:27:36 pm »

I believe so.
To keep dwarves from overstocking hospital materials, build your coffers only a few at a time, waiting for the old to be filled before adding more.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10214 on: March 29, 2011, 09:08:21 pm »

so! is it a good idea at all to get a kitchen set up almost immediately? i've been noticing that with having a guy running around in the wilds gathering plants, i have a lot of food available lol
Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 1178