Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117065 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10035 on: March 25, 2011, 03:33:46 pm »

I had a couple of tame cave crocodiles stolen off the goblins a while ago. I tamed them and assigned them to a leash to breed them along my lions.

Except they somehow got angry and began tearing people apart for no reason. Crocodiles REALLY like dismemberment and it's a mess to clean up. And there's no time to clean when you have a supersiege going on at the same time.

Reportedly, animals that kill a dwarf before you tame them will randomly attack/kill dwarves even after they are tame. Children of such animals should be properly tame, so wait for the first generation to hatch and then kill the renegades. In the meantime, keep them away from high traffic areas or otherwise keep dwarves out of reach.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10036 on: March 25, 2011, 04:09:48 pm »

Is it possible to make gem windows? I can't see to find an option for it at the craftsdwarfs or jewelers.
Memento Mori

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10037 on: March 25, 2011, 04:34:23 pm »

Gem windows are made directly from gems, rather than being made through a workshop and then placed. You need 3 gems per window.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10038 on: March 25, 2011, 04:35:15 pm »

Oh. That's easy. Thanks.
Memento Mori

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10039 on: March 25, 2011, 05:11:00 pm »

so...how exactly to places with snow work, i my embarks keep being covered in snow, admittedly it is galena which i assume is like january in real life, but still, these places are supposed to be warmish...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10040 on: March 25, 2011, 05:14:57 pm »

Generally, temperate and some warm biomes have snow for at least part of the year.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10041 on: March 25, 2011, 05:18:26 pm »

so...how exactly to places with snow work, i my embarks keep being covered in snow, admittedly it is galena which i assume is like january in real life, but still, these places are supposed to be warmish...

Galena is actually late summer- if you haven't seen a thaw by now, you aren't likely to.

ghiacciato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10042 on: March 25, 2011, 06:45:49 pm »

I've got a butcher shop, a butcher dwarf and a "Stray Donkey Corpse" on a stockpile near said butcher shop. Yet it tells me they cancel the "Butcher an animal" task because there's no unrotten item available. I checked, and the corpse's not rotten...yet. Nor is it forbidden or anything.
Why won't they butcher it, then? :/

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10043 on: March 25, 2011, 06:59:31 pm »

If it's a "stray" then it was tame. Tame coprses can't be butcherd.

ghiacciato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10044 on: March 25, 2011, 07:10:13 pm »

That's unfortunate. My dwarves are complaining about hunger, yet they won't butcher that corpse due to some strange dwarfen ethics regarding tame animals >_>

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #10045 on: March 25, 2011, 07:20:46 pm »

Here's a question: I was playing around with the military equipment screen, and I accidentally set my uniform to replace clothing. Naturally, my military threw off everything they had one except for some boots and leggings I'd produced. Changing it back did not make them clothe themselves. Am I stuck with naked dwarves until I manage to produce enough armor to replace what they lost?
Dwarves will never put on clothing. They will claim and store new clothing when the old rots off, but never ware it.
If you have extra clothes laying around, you can assign them to the dwarves to force them into wearing something.

I made a uniform named "Casual Friday", with 2 (silk)socks, 2 (leather)shoes, (silk)loincloth, (leather)trousers, (silk)shirt, (leather)coat, (silk)cloak, 2 (leather)gloves, (silk)hood, (leather)helm, and individual choice of weapon; and have been slowly sorting my civvies into perpetually inactive squads with that uniform assigned; and told to use the uniform while off duty.

I spot checked a member of the first group, and I think it took effect (unless he just happened to wear matching items...)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10046 on: March 25, 2011, 07:41:04 pm »

Here's a question: I was playing around with the military equipment screen, and I accidentally set my uniform to replace clothing. Naturally, my military threw off everything they had one except for some boots and leggings I'd produced. Changing it back did not make them clothe themselves. Am I stuck with naked dwarves until I manage to produce enough armor to replace what they lost?
Dwarves will never put on clothing. They will claim and store new clothing when the old rots off, but never ware it.
If you have extra clothes laying around, you can assign them to the dwarves to force them into wearing something.

I made a uniform named "Casual Friday", with 2 (silk)socks, 2 (leather)shoes, (silk)loincloth, (leather)trousers, (silk)shirt, (leather)coat, (silk)cloak, 2 (leather)gloves, (silk)hood, (leather)helm, and individual choice of weapon; and have been slowly sorting my civvies into perpetually inactive squads with that uniform assigned; and told to use the uniform while off duty.

I spot checked a member of the first group, and I think it took effect (unless he just happened to wear matching items...)

Thats actually not a bad idea, especially since it makes it easy to draft civvies en masse. I may give that a go once all their clothes wear out.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10047 on: March 25, 2011, 07:48:42 pm »

Heck, you can even make them wear no clothes at all and a full page of heavy armour and leather underarmour. No wear this way either.

Arming them is a little trickier since they're still as cowardly as ever, but I've heard that civilians will fire at will if assigned crossbows.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10048 on: March 25, 2011, 08:07:16 pm »

Heck, you can even make them wear no clothes at all and a full page of heavy armour and leather underarmour. No wear this way either.

Arming them is a little trickier since they're still as cowardly as ever, but I've heard that civilians will fire at will if assigned crossbows.

I can confirm this - in my last fort I put my most valuable crafters in an inactive squad and told them to wear leather armor and carry crossbows. They fire off a bolt or two before running - if you get two or three firing at once you can take down goblin snatchers. They won't last against full ambush squads, though - but the armor might make them survive long enough for the cavalry to arrive.

Just make sure you give the squad very little ammo (dial down the amount under Ammunition in the military screen to about 50-80, that will make them stock maybe 5 rounds each) so they fire a few bolts and run for their lives early.

Also note there are some uniform bugs when putting miners/woodcutters/hunters in squads (they don't wear the uniform off duty because they have an invisible "naked" uniform associated with the job) so you might want to leave them out.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10049 on: March 25, 2011, 08:17:37 pm »

If it's a "stray" then it was tame. Tame coprses can't be butcherd.

That's not true. *Pets* can't be butchered.

Is the refuse pile outside? Make sure the dwarves aren't set to "Ignore outside refuse" on the order screen ("O")
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 1178