Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you prefer the new stone layer symbols?

Yay!
- 37 (75.5%)
Nay!
- 12 (24.5%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20

Author Topic: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.7.3.1 for DF v0.31.03 (Old version)  (Read 198924 times)

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.7 for DF v0.31.03 (Major Improvements!)
« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2010, 12:13:44 pm »

I've just finished the Dwarf Fortress Savegame RAW Updater v1.0. I hope it'll fix your problem.

Copy this in your DF directory and run it. (it's a batch file)
Removed the download link, the latest version of this utility is in the packages.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 12:14:35 am by Phoebus »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2010, 12:20:18 pm »

I prefer the symbols. They're kinder and gentler to my eyes. Please keep a copy of the 1.6.x rock/sand/etc graphics around.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 12:23:11 pm by BigD145 »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2010, 12:54:27 pm »

I prefer the symbols. They're kinder and gentler to my eyes. Please keep a copy of the 1.6.x rock/sand/etc graphics around.
Will do; One more tileset to the mix.
Do you prefer the old style of symbol background (dithered) or the new style of symbol background (no transparency)?

Edit: Ho god, what have I done!?!

Edit: The magenta transparency is driving me insane. Toady, please save me with the 40d# merge. ;_;
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 01:02:38 pm by Phoebus »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2010, 01:38:20 pm »

Will do; One more tileset to the mix.
Do you prefer the old style of symbol background (dithered) or the new style of symbol background (no transparency)?

Granite doors and hatches can finally sort of be seen with transparency, but sand that's been walked on looks weird. Yellow sand has a sickly glow. The dithered stone seems to be lighter and easier to see.

I'm not sure I'm liking the mushrooms, either. My init probably has something to do with it.

Spoiler: 1.7 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 1.6.4 (click to show/hide)

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2010, 02:14:06 pm »

EDIT: I found the answer here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39229.960

Tangential query:

I've tried to run DwarfTherapist alongside the pre-packaged pack you offer and got this alert from DwarfTherapist:
---------------------------
Unidentified Game Version
I'm sorry but I don't know how to talk to thisversion of Dwarf Fortress!
GAME CHECKSUM: 0x4bc3c470

Please help! I'll notify DwarfTherapist as well.... does this mean I've messed something up / there's something lost in the prepackaged set?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 02:29:47 pm by zooeyglass »

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2010, 06:34:28 pm »

That just means DT isn't updated to recognize 31.03

You can find instructions on how to fix that in the DT thread.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2010, 07:23:20 pm »

There's so many people having problems with the darn savegame raws, I really think I should make an auto-savegame-patcher. (or Toady should just make it optional to use them in the first place)

By the way, Uristmod already includes (and has since the first version) a command that replaces all your saved games' raws with your DF raws (in addition to the other things it can do, which are useful for simplifying maintenance and development of mods that change a lot of entries in the raws, e.g. changing the tile of all fluxes, all magma-safe stone, etc). I should upload 1.4 soon, just have to compile the linux version and such first (there's only one small change in it).

Of course when you replace saved game raws (regardless of whether you use a tool to do it or not) you have to be sure that you don't have incompatible mods installed in the saved games whose raws are being replaced, or you'll break that game, obviously. (Of course a tileset and graphics set aren't going to be incompatible with vanilla DF, but if you had, for instance, a kobold camp saved game and a normal DF saved game instead of an entirely separate kobold camp DF folder, that would do it)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.7.1 for DF v0.31.03 (Major Improvements!)
« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2010, 08:18:39 pm »

There's so many people having problems with the darn savegame raws, I really think I should make an auto-savegame-patcher. (or Toady should just make it optional to use them in the first place)

By the way, Uristmod already includes (and has since the first version) a command that replaces all your saved games' raws with your DF raws (in addition to the other things it can do, which are useful for simplifying maintenance and development of mods that change a lot of entries in the raws, e.g. changing the tile of all fluxes, all magma-safe stone, etc). I should upload 1.4 soon, just have to compile the linux version and such first (there's only one small change in it).

Of course when you replace saved game raws (regardless of whether you use a tool to do it or not) you have to be sure that you don't have incompatible mods installed in the saved games whose raws are being replaced, or you'll break that game, obviously. (Of course a tileset and graphics set aren't going to be incompatible with vanilla DF, but if you had, for instance, a kobold camp saved game and a normal DF saved game instead of an entirely separate kobold camp DF folder, that would do it)
I understand that. The savegame patcher I've created is specifically targeting players that just want to play game with better graphics without having to deal with all the geeky nonsense.

Double click 'df_savegame_updater.bat', press U to update all of your savegames, play the game.

That should reduce the barrier to entry by quite a bit.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 08:45:11 pm by Phoebus »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2010, 08:44:35 pm »

*Updated* v1.7.1
The default tileset now uses the old dithering style for stone tiles. The new graphic style is available as Phoebus_16x16_Solid.bmp and  Phoebus_16x16_Guybrush_Solid.bmp .
The "Dwarf Fortress Savegame RAW Updater" batch utility has been added to both full packages. Run df_savegame_updater.bat to use it.
A Unit Pack with fully transparent background has been added to the list of downloads.

kuaera

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.7.1 for DF v0.31.03 (Added the Credits section)
« Reply #219 on: April 19, 2010, 09:26:10 pm »

I just wanted to state that I took the raw graphics from your set, Phoebus, and toyed with the images some to bring them down to 12x12 but maintain most readability. I'm actually using them in 40d16 as translucent PNGs, but I'd gladly make my files/process available to anyone who's interested.

I know that Sphr did make a 12x12 set some time ago, and I do venture to say that these are a bit easier to understand at a glance.

retheldirood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 19, 2010, 10:27:19 pm »

Hi, I'm a newb.  Nice to meet you all.

Using a netbook, I have the following issue.  I love the look of this graphics set, but it is too large for my screen (actually, most of them are).  the 6x16 tile resolution forces a program resolution of 1280x400, which unfortunately is a bit big for my netbook's monitor (max res 1024x600).  Is it possible for me to manually resize the tilesets down by, say 25% to 12x12?  If I were to do this, what options would I need to change and in what places for the program to run smoothly?

Alternatively, are there any graphics sets smaller than 16x16?

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 19, 2010, 11:18:31 pm »

Most of the tileset are on display on the Wiki's tileset repository. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tileset_repository

You need something that is at most 12 pixel wide.
There's many good 12x12 tilesets in the first section. (Markavian, Herrbdog, Turnip, etc.) They aren't very graphical.

If you use a 12x12, I believe the unit graphics will also scaled down to 12x12 automatically.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 20, 2010, 12:26:03 am »

All of the other new graphics/changes work besides anything related to sand...

And no my savegame directory doesnt include a graphics or object folder (besides the ones inside the raw) and the raw doesnt contain another raw

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*added screenshot
Sorry for the sloooow reply, I didn't notice your post update.
That screenshot is still running on old raws (I can tell from the old heavy dithering on the unit backgrounds.) In v1.7 I've switched the sand tile around so that the tileset is more compatible with RantingRodent's layout and updated the raws to that fact. Updating that savegame's raw to more recent raws from my packs would fix the problem.

What is the disconnected tunnel for?

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 20, 2010, 04:12:14 am »

Hey Phoeb,
Really appreciate this awesome tile set!

In the guybrush tileset, the "O" has the wrong colour of magenta around it, and looks funky in-game (bright dashes of colour around every O and column). I fixed it myself in paint easily.

Also for feedback, I don't like the "solid" tileset, its too hard to differentiate natural walls and ground. Thanks for giving us the option.

Screenshot:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

kuaera

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 20, 2010, 03:20:56 pm »

Hi, I'm a newb.  Nice to meet you all.

Using a netbook, I have the following issue.  I love the look of this graphics set, but it is too large for my screen (actually, most of them are).  the 6x16 tile resolution forces a program resolution of 1280x400, which unfortunately is a bit big for my netbook's monitor (max res 1024x600).  Is it possible for me to manually resize the tilesets down by, say 25% to 12x12?  If I were to do this, what options would I need to change and in what places for the program to run smoothly?

Alternatively, are there any graphics sets smaller than 16x16?

You might've wanted to read the post before yours :P The automatic scaling ingame works, but visibility suffers, so I manually resized and modified the graphics to 12x12 [not the tileset]. I personally use 40d# and a translucent tileset for visibility. Send a PM if you're interested.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20