Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you prefer the new stone layer symbols?

Yay!
- 37 (75.5%)
Nay!
- 12 (24.5%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20

Author Topic: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.7.3.1 for DF v0.31.03 (Old version)  (Read 198974 times)

fuzzylunkinz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.6 for DF v0.31.02 (Upgraded to DF release)
« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2010, 05:13:03 pm »

Hey, I really like this graphic set :).

Nice work!  Thanks!

Barquentine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2010, 07:22:46 pm »

That's dithering.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd%E2%80%93Steinberg_dithering
I use it for two reasons.
One, lack of alpha transparency supports means every transparent pixel is 100% transparent, and if I want to spread the background color around I need to dither. Used on mineral tiles, water tiles, river/road tiles and units.
The second, used for the ground tiles, smoothed floors, walls and behind trees & plants, is used to break the flat uniformity of the ground. That one works pretty well.
So in other words, no, I would have to get rid of it manually?

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2010, 08:53:27 pm »

That's dithering.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd%E2%80%93Steinberg_dithering
I use it for two reasons.
One, lack of alpha transparency supports means every transparent pixel is 100% transparent, and if I want to spread the background color around I need to dither. Used on mineral tiles, water tiles, river/road tiles and units.
The second, used for the ground tiles, smoothed floors, walls and behind trees & plants, is used to break the flat uniformity of the ground. That one works pretty well.
So in other words, no, I would have to get rid of it manually?
Hard dithering (behind units, mineral walls, etc.) I will replace when PNG support is merge back in DF2010. These are the worst offenders and I can't replace them right now as they are a byproduct of BMP's transparency.
Soft dithering (ground floors, behind trees, etc.) is an integral part of my tileset.

I made an alternate tileset with black background for you. Minerals are still using hard dithering. You can download an old package of mine to extract units without dithered backgrounds.

Tileset with black ground tiles:

Old package (contains units with fully transparent backgrounds):

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 09:02:13 pm by Phoebus »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2010, 11:01:06 pm »

That doesn't have the added graphics from 1.5.1, though, does it? That's the only reason I'm using the dithered ones myself. Actually, I tried to use color replace in paint.net to remove the dithering, but for some reason the medics all became invisible (despite the image being just fine as far as I could tell). O_o (Most of the other image files came out fine, I think. The other dwarves and domestic animals at least did)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #139 on: April 10, 2010, 06:00:41 pm »

I removed Barquentine's latest post and warned him.  Please remember to be respectful.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*Updated* v1.6.1
Added separate downloads for the RAWs, INIT & Tileset. (For those people that don't like getting their init trampled over. Like me.)
Merged 4 changes from Greenbane's fork. Improved beds, chests, logs and channeling icon.
I will soon provide multiple tilesets with alternate fonts. Post the font that you prefer in this thread. ;)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You already got my font preference: Guybrush! ;D

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You already got my font preference: Guybrush! ;D
Tileset v1.6.1 with Guybrush font:

-------
And for those that don't like the ground patterns:

Tileset v1.6.1 with flat ground: (remember to change [VARIED_GROUND_TILES:YES] to NO in your init.txt)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 09:03:20 am by Phoebus »

Prastary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Phoebus, thank you for your work.

You could change all the SHRUB_TILE's in plant_standard.txt to something other than 58. I changed it for myself to 169.

Here is "my" version of your tileset, I don't like too much informations on the walls, so I reduced it drastically.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 12:01:26 pm by Prastary »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Phoebus, thank you for your work.

You could change all the SHRUB_TILE's in plant_standard.txt to something other than 58. I changed it for myself to 169.

Here is "my" version of your tileset, I don't like too much informations on the walls, so I reduced it drastically.
Only the underground plants use [SHRUB_TILE:58][DEAD_SHRUB_TILE:58] (from the default raws). The overland plants use the tile 34 by default.
I've changed tile 58 (colons : ) so that they look like small mushrooms.

Nice changes! :)
Of all the changes I think I like the stockpile tile the most.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 12:17:48 pm by Phoebus »

AxisofLint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for all the work you put into this ;)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.6.1 for DF v0.31.02 (New poll: Fonts)
« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2010, 12:31:54 am »

I can't get it on fullscreen mode.
Is this normal?  ???

Also, alunite ground and wall tile are pretty much the same, :/

But everything looks neat, great work :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 12:55:21 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2010, 12:45:32 am »

I noticed that while playing as humans a few professions are defaulting to zombies....I noticed this with my doc and mason....I will look in the raws to see what the issue is and post up what I find soon

*EDIT* From a quick run through of the graphics raws it looks like the humans do not have a few professions assigned...because it was all I noticed I was only looking for mason and doc...didnt see either....and i think there is more missing because I got a few immigrants that were defaulted as zombies to....was to stupid to look at profession as I simply exited to look into this very issue.... *facepalm*
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 12:50:16 am by dennislp3 »

HeliumFreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2010, 01:00:21 am »

Definatly the current font. Its so much clearer than what im used to.

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2010, 01:29:24 am »

I noticed that while playing as humans a few professions are defaulting to zombies....I noticed this with my doc and mason....I will look in the raws to see what the issue is and post up what I find soon

*EDIT* From a quick run through of the graphics raws it looks like the humans do not have a few professions assigned...because it was all I noticed I was only looking for mason and doc...didnt see either....and i think there is more missing because I got a few immigrants that were defaulted as zombies to....was to stupid to look at profession as I simply exited to look into this very issue.... *facepalm*

btw, I think there was some problems with some human tiles e.g. some diplomat or liason or something in my dwarf fort always appears as zombie no matter how I messed with the gfx tile definition back in df 40.  iow, it could be bug in the code.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20